English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 25 January 2015, 12:42   #41
absence

Some quick findings: Most of the unknown fonts turned out to be new ones from Workbench 2.0: courier 13, CGTriumvirate 15, CGTimes 20, 50, and 80, and probably other sizes on the title screen. The remaining unknown fonts are the one used for the word "keskelle" in text.png and the one used for "ammuksia", "benziiniä", etc. in ws.png.
Old 01 February 2015, 14:49   #42
Bugala

Just noticed this thread. About word "Muikea", while official description is sour etc. This word have changed its meaning. It is similar to "gay" meaning cool in 30s but not so anymore, or cool simply meaning cold 100 years ago.

Nowadays "muikea" is simply used to describe something being in same way as "fantastic! Amazing!" etc. similar things. It isnt so much about the meaning of the word, but more of how that word sounds like in finnish. Hence we can go to a rollercoster in fun park and describe that it was "muikeeta" to be there.

Hence my suggestion to translating it would be to make up word "Smachy!" I believe that would give somewhat close to same feeling as word "muikea" since they both move your mouth the same way at beginning, which i personally think is part of the importance of word "muikea", and they also end up to somewhat similar tone, and "Smash" in english has some similarity with idea of "muikea". Since it is sort of that your mouth is able to move in such wide aspect that it explains the thrilled bang feeling that you just got from something that you are describing using that word.
Old 01 February 2015, 14:57   #43
absence

Thanks for the additional insight into that mysterious word. I don't believe in making up language, but there's already a very similar english word "smashing" that happens to mean fantastic, amazing, etc. Sounds like it would be a good match!
Old 01 February 2015, 15:49   #44
Wepl

I made the WHDLoad install and also checked how to translate the game because such a request was made.
The problem is that only some texts are present as text in the game. Most text is stored as pictures, and these pictures are saved as binary data. I tried to extract these pictures to provide them for translation but didn't succeed yet.
If someone want to continue I can provide a partial resourced executable.
Old 01 February 2015, 15:57   #45
absence

The pictures in the beginning of this thread were in fact extracted from the game (and converted to a format that can be viewed online). Patching the original Amiga binary with repainted graphics and translated text shouldn't be too much trouble, but all the fonts needed for the repaint haven't been identified yet.
Old 01 February 2015, 18:14   #46
daxb

It is sufficient to translate the menu (+ submenu) where you can select/add/... a player, the statistic screen after a game and maybe ingame weapon select menu. You don`t need to translate the mission select screen at the beginning.

If images are needed to translate and there cannot found the original font then just don`t care about. Choose a font that fits in size and everything is ok.
Old 01 February 2015, 18:58   #47
absence

It's not about being sufficient, because then we could simply do nothing and keep playing the game in Finnish. I had no problems figuring it out as a kid, and I don't understand a word of the language. You're free to do your own thing of course.
Old 11 April 2018, 23:28   #48
IanLewis

First, apologies for the major thread necromancy.

I've been doing something similar to the OP, i.e. recreating TurboRaketti, because, well, it's the best game ever :-)

I've taken a slightly different approach, rewriting from scratch in C without reference to the disassembler, and I haven't been quite as obsessive about recreating the detail, but all of the original levels are there (plus some new ones), and the gameplay is as close as I can get.

I've used some of the translations from this thread, so I wanted to say 'Thanks' to all those who contributed to those.

There was also way back in the thread a suggestion that someone might know how to contact Heikki Kosola, the original author, and it seemed polite to at least let him know if possible, so if anyone can help with that, I'd appreciate it.

This might be the point to confess that my game doesn't run on Amiga (I haven't owned one for years) but there are versions for Android, Raspberry Pi, and <cough> windows. It may be possible to port to Amiga without too much effort, if anyone wanted to, as it uses the Allegro library for all the low-level stuff, and I believe there is an Amiga version of that.

Oh yes, it's free, and open source, natch :-)

Cheers,

Ian.

GravStorm for Android here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...storm&hl=en_GB

Gravstorm for Windows / Raspberry Pi / Source here: https://github.com/IanLewis42/GravStorm

Videos here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7A...trZUZKs4A4fC1w

Old 12 April 2018, 00:37   #49
daxb

When I start it on RPi3B, Raspbian stretch, 64MB gfx mem, I get his error and no logs are written:
Code:
pi@raspberrypi:~/GravStorm-master $ ./gravstorm 
./gravstorm: error while loading shared libraries: libGLESv2.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Old 12 April 2018, 09:48   #50
IanLewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
When I start it on RPi3B, Raspbian stretch, 64MB gfx mem, I get his error and no logs are written:
Code:
pi@raspberrypi:~/GravStorm-master $ ./gravstorm 
./gravstorm: error while loading shared libraries: libGLESv2.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Hmmmm..... A quick google suggests a Raspbian version issue; I'm still on Jessie, looks like it needs to be rebuilt for Stretch. I probably won't get around to this until the weekend, but I'll get back to you :-)

EDIT:
If you don't want to wait, there's a couple of threads with suggestions for temporary fixes:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/ras...omment-1320790
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/v...ea775ccccd2e7b

It looks like I'll need to rebuild the Allegro libraries, not just my code, so that might be a little more involved.

Last edited by IanLewis; 12 April 2018 at 10:07. Reason: Add more info.

Old 12 April 2018, 14:31   #51
daxb

Thanks for the links. It seems there are different opinions about the problem and how it should be solved. There were already two kernel updates what could mean that the software developer need to update there packages?

I'm using the latest Kernel version: Linux raspberrypi 4.14.30-v7+ #1102 SMP Mon Mar 26 16:45:49 BST 2018 armv7l GNU/Linux
Old 30 November 2018, 17:33   #52
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by absence View Post
Is the first one the 0.99 beta, or is there another version I haven't seen?
Very curious. I was reminded of TurboRaketti recently and found the Wikipedia article, where mr. Kosola himself states that V2.xx was not TurboRaketti II, but actually the release version.

So I stand corrected. Interestingly many people I discussed with, who had played this in the early 90s, also called the beta TurboRaketti 1 and 2.xx was quite universally known as TurboRaketti II over here in Finland.

I've also dumped it as part of several collections of warez disks and as far as I remember, the disks always read "TurboRaketti II" when the release version was on it, so this was quite the mass psychosis in Finland.
Old 01 May 2023, 17:28   #53
Rixa

It's been a while, but I've finally gotten around to finishing an English translation that I'm happy to present as a mod to the game.

Check out translatetr.lha in the zone. Run the patcher in the game directory with the game files to patch them in place. It should work with both the freeware version as well as the registered version, and you can run it again to revert the patch.

The freeware version should still even work with the existing WHDLoad slave after the mod is applied.

Enjoy!
Old 01 May 2023, 20:14   #54
daxb

Thanks for your work! I hope I can try it someday.
Old 02 May 2023, 08:55   #55
Jope
-

Well done Rixa! A long journey's end. :-)

I'm looking forward to replacing my semi-translated beta version.
Old 24 May 2023, 17:14   #56
TurboRAKETTI

Great!

I would also like to thank you very much that you have spent your time on it!
It reminds me of this joke: I know what I have to do, there is no need that my wife reminds me every sixth months!

I was surprised that I had no problems to remember how to unpack and apply the patch via Shell in WinUAE.

If you want a patched Amiga disk file (*.adf) you may download it here:
http://turboraketti.bplaced.net/TurboRakettiLinks.html or https://trgravity.111mb.de/TurboRakettiLinks.html (Downloads for Amiga emulators)
Cheers
A