English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 18 November 2009, 12:15   #1
DC33
Zone Friend

Happy Amigakit 4-device buffered interface problem

Hi all,
Following my failure of getting my SCSI Dataflyer 1200 to work properly with MakeCD, I eventually purchased a 4-device buffered interface from amigakit so that I could use my IDE DVD Rom to read my Amiga DVD collection etc.

I have in the past, used an IDE DVD Rom with a 4-way EIDE buffered interface without any problems (as most of us would) but I have run into problems with this little baby which I received today (thanks amigakit for the quick shipment to Australia).

The problem that I am having s that even after installing AsimCDFS and IDE-Fix, I keep on getting a pop-up box saying that there has been an "Audio Error".... as this:
The CD-ROM drive has reported back an invalid audio disc:
First track: 0
Last track: 0
Length: 0:00:00 ............

does anyone know what this might be or why I am getting it?

I have tried several different configurations on 2 separate A1200's with the same results. I even tried re-installing WB (3.1) from scratch and then installing AsimCDFS and IDE-Fix to no avail.

I have tried plugging the CD-ROM on both IDE channels as either slave or master with the same results.

The only thing I can think of is that the buffer interface itself might be the problem?

@Amigakit: if you read this post, can you provide some insight please?

@Thomas: I know you will read this sooner or later so I would appreciate your thoughts also.

The other thing that seems VERY strange is that I have rebooted the system about 15 times (both hot and cold) and in only 2 occasions did a proper CD/DVD icon come up with the right tittle, however after double clicking the icon, there was no response.

BTW, I have configured all things correctly without a doubt.

Any assistance is very welcome. I might take some time in responding to those of you in Europe, as it is now 22:14 in Sydney.

Cheers.
dc33

Old 18 November 2009, 12:54   #2
thomas

Quote:
after installing AsimCDFS and IDE-Fix
You should install only one of them. They both come with ATAPI drivers which might interfere with each other. As you are using IDEfix hardware, you should install IDEfix software, otherwise you cannot use the second channel of the hardware.

Quote:
I have tried several different configurations on 2 separate A1200's with the same results.
Have you also tried another DVD drive ? Other (shorter) cables ?

Do you need the 4-way adapter because you have more than two IDE devices or do you just use it as a 44-to-40pin adapter ? Do you have the opportunity to connect the CD drive directly to the IDE bus, without the 4-way PCB ?

Quote:
in only 2 occasions did a proper CD/DVD icon come up with the right tittle
What happened in the other occasions ? Did you sometimes get an icon with "improper" title ?

Quote:
I might take some time in responding to those of you in Europe, as it is now 22:14 in Sydney.
12:53. Just returned from lunch, being tired, too.
Old 19 November 2009, 10:52   #3
DC33
Zone Friend

@Thomas,
Thanks heaps for your reply. It is truly appreciated.
Now, following your advice I have tried every possible combination of the following:
* cable lengths (3 different cables)
* HD & CD Roms (2 HD's & 2 CD Roms) all working in PC machines and "worked" in previous Amiga configs
* Tried Master/ Slave configs
* Used both IDE 0 & 1 on the IDE interface
* Re-installed WB and only installed IDEfix to no avail ( could not find device)
* Checked all wiring, power etc.... no go..!!!
* did the same on 2 different A1200's (again) and had the sam e result
* could not manage to repeat previous 2 "good" CD/DVD titles

All I get now is NOTHING whatsoever.... no icon etc...

I have not tried installing AsimCDFS again as I really don't have to...

Will be back again after some more troubleshooting.............

cd33
Old 19 November 2009, 14:44   #4
thomas

Please add some details about the devices used, e.g. if you use 2.5" or 3.5" harddrives, whether or not they have jumpers for master/slave, how many devices you want to use in the target configuration etc.

Is it this interface you are using ? http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=532

Do you also have such a cable you could try instead of the 4-way interface ?
http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=438
Old 19 November 2009, 23:27   #5
DC33
Zone Friend

Both A1200's have the same setup comprising of a 4 Gig CF card (Kingston) as the master, with all partitions being under 2Gig. DH0 is approx 200 meg.
I have used this setup in the past without an IDE buffered interface to use a 3.5" HD or DVD without any problems "although" data sync problems were experienced when using the DVD, hence the purchase of the 4-way interface. BTW Thomas, yes it is the same one you refer to.
Since receiving the interface and subsequent installation, I have not managed to get it to work properly, even to the stage of not even been able to recognize the external 3.5" HD attached as a slave (remember I could get this to work without the interface). I have tried all sorts of cables, both for 2.5" & 3.5" drives as slaves without any luck.

I woke up this morning and decided to try a 2.5" HD as the master (one I used some time ago with an external DVD attached), attached the DVD and booted it up. Much to my surprise, AsimCDFS loaded the DVD and I could access my files on the DVD drive. As I am at work now, I will continue down the path of exploring whether it might be something to do with the CF card not liking the buffer interface. I know the CF card works with another device set to slave without the interface.

It is not a cable issue, or slave/master setting issue. It just appears to be an interface problem between either the CF card or maybe even the CF card adapter (?).

Like I said, I will have a closer look tonight, but I really would like to keep the CF card rather than a small 2.5" HD.

I suppose the other thing I could try is to copy the 25" drive dh0 partition (as it is known to work) and copy it across to the CF card's dh0 partition and see if it works. I doubt this will be the fix as I have done clean WB installs with no luck... I guess you just never know.

Be back later. Any suggestions are welcome as I am willing to try anything.
Cheers,
dc33
Old 21 November 2009, 10:12   #6
DC33
Zone Friend

Well, it's like this.........

It seems that the interface is somewhat to blame. I say this for many a reasons, but primarily because I have tested the complete 2 Amiga 1200 systems under the sam conditions i.e cables, jumpers etc etc... and I keep on coming up with the same results.

As a recap:

Made a fresh install of WB 3.1 and shutdown.
Attached DVD drive and restarted.
Installed IDEfix '97 which recognized the drive, saved settings and rebooted.
After boot-up, DVD volume appeared on WB - so I feel happy at last as the drive is finally there.... but.......

After about 5 mins, I get a requester to asking to insert volume.
I eject disc, re-insert disc to which the DVD drive keeps on trying to read volume....

I leave it for 1-2 mins to which nothing happens.

I do a war reboot - no good.
I do a cold boot - still no good.

I shut system down for 10 mins, and reboot... at last all is back to normal, but then......

Please re-insert volume XYZ..!!! requester re-appears - I am not at all happy. I do a reboot to no avail.

So, as far as I could figure, the 4-way buffer is suspect. I went to the trouble of starting from scratch again by re-attaching the 3.5" drive as slave with the following results:

- Attached drive without buffer device, no problems at all. Read/write - ok.
- Attached drive with buffer and started getting erroneous checksum errors on both CD card and 3.5" drive.
- Removed buffer, re-attached 3.5" drive as slave (again) - no problem

I will contact AmigaKit for some advise and see whether they might accept a return as I am willing to upgrade to a ELBOX 4xEIDE interface instead. I had one of these before and it worked perfectly. Wish I had not sold it.!!!!!

@AmigaKit - Please provide me with your feedback. Email heading your way via website shortly.

Over & out !!
dc33