English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Entertainment

Old 03 February 2020, 13:17   #2621
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroplay View Post
The Shining is one of my all-time favourites (along with John Carpenter's The Thing).
Wonder how many kids only heard of Shinning thanks to Ready Player One. Funny, my son asked if is OK to see it.

Dark Phoenix (2019) - still trying to figure out what is strategy with X-Man here?! Kill everyone in this new 'universe' that showed in original movie... There really was no reason for this movie... and I saw it in 4 parts due to not keeping my interest enough to finish it in one piece. The Expanse was more interesting to watch and more unpredictable.

By far worst super hero movie, even worst than one I did not see - Superman vs. Batman. 4/10

Speaking of Bat guy, what do you guys think about Robert Pattinson as new batman?? Colin Farrell as Penguin? Can't be worst than Ben Affleck.

[ Show youtube player ]

The Kid Who Would Be King (2019) - even my 10 year old son thought that whole thing was bit too dumb... Not even Patrick Stewart was able to help save Britain from this embarrassment... 3/10
Old 03 February 2020, 13:42   #2622
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Speaking of Bat guy, what do you guys think about Robert Pattinson as new batman?? Colin Farrell as Penguin? Can't be worst than Ben Affleck.
I'm sure they'll do a good enough job, I am instead really pumped for Matt Reeves' story and just how many classic villains he's going to pump into it.

I don't really care who plays Batman, only George Clooney is banned. I only care what they do with the character, and what I really need is for that character to go back to the Tim Burton one. Suave business man Bruce Wayne, not too over the top Batman.

And-no-grunting. That madness needs to stop. Stop it. Stahp.
Old 10 February 2020, 17:10   #2623
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

The Upside (2017) - Remake of 2011 french movie The Intouchables, based on true story inspired by the life of Philippe Pozzo di Borgo. Main idea of the movie is that money is not everything in world, but makes it much easier when you have it... (sure I got all that wrong )

Nice first drama performance by Hart, but movie was filmed and was supposed to be released at wrong time by wrong company (Weinstein). Thankfully got picked up and re-released in 2019.

Will not compare it to real memoir, but this release was adopted for USA audience and it fits really well, with Hart / Cranston chemistry working really well. Also to mention Kidman, who usually I don't like in movies, but she fits in this one quite well.

Definitely worth watching if you sick of super hero and other crap...

7.5 / 10
Old 19 February 2020, 22:42   #2624
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Bad Boys For Life. Remember those? The movies where Martin Lawrence's dialogue mostly consists of saying "Mike!" and "Oooooooh sh*t!".

It's still true!

Still, BB4L has a certain quality to it. To my own regret the movie continues the "I want to retire" story arc of Bad Boys 2 and doubles down on it; that's not what I want to see in a Bad Boys movie but of course it had to make a return. I want to see Will Smith and Martin Lawrence blow up half a city all the while spewing witty banter. Unfortunately the movie makes you wait for it a little.

Regardless, when the movie really gets going it returns to Bad Boys 1's form and in my opinion goes above and beyond. This is one classic 90's explosion fest loaded up with funny characters and dialogue. Don't expect Bad Boys 2's rock bottom toilet humor either, Michael Bay is not involved here (well... besides his really obvious cameo) and it shows as some class has returned to the franchise. Highly recommended.

7.5/10
Old 22 February 2020, 01:43   #2625
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

2047 : Virtual revolution (2016)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdb.com
The year is 2047. Most of the world's population live inside corporate-controlled virtual worlds and drift further out of touch with reality. Nash, a private investigator/ mercenary is hired to track down a group of hackers who are disrupting and terrorizing the virtual space in a bid to free human beings from their online prisons.
A dark universe where the hero (who is not a hero), embittered and bruised by the disappearance of his wife, is happily taken for a ride by everyone (good guys and bad guys: but who is who in the end?) while he forms his own opinion about the world around him.

No big surprises in the script, but a nice watch : 7/10

As a side note, this movie reminded me "Surrogates (2009)" with Bruce Willis and the anime "Log Horizon (2013)". Not exactly the same plot, but... anyway.
Old 22 February 2020, 19:01   #2626
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Men In Black: International.

Ugh. How to screw up a MIB movie in one easy step: ignore everything the previous movies did right and just piss on the wonderful universe that has already been created.

But besides that, there is one classic rule that made the previous movies good even in moments they were less good. Make it so you hate the bad guy, show right from the start who they are and make sure they're on screen a lot... and make them quirky, weird and funny! MIB Int does none of that, you just get cookie cutter stuff thrown in at random moments where action needs to happen and they're not even remotely funny.

Yeah no, dull as watching molasses drain through a funnel. 3/10, won't see again.

And then on to the main course. I went out to see...

Sonic the Hedgehog, which in my neck of the woods apparently is just called "Sonic". I went to see an actual animated movie for kids in the cinema, I never do that. Why? Because it's Sonic and I've been reading all these conflicting reports about it. "Best game movie ever made" for example. "Box office hit". But then on the other side of the fence "Dull and uninspired". I could get cheap tickets so I just went for it.

So, best game movie ever made? Hell no, Silent Hill is still the one. This is not a Sonic the Hedgehog movie, this is a Jim Carrey comedy movie with Sonic added to it. Good to see Jim back to his old tricks by the way!

Is it a good Jim Carrey movie then? Well comparing to all other Jim Carrey vehicles... yeah this one ranks pretty much at the bottom for me. Don't get me wrong, he does a remarkable job at being a semi-humorous evil bastard. But the semi in that statement breaks the whole thing. I was expecting him to be fully funny, not a teeny weeny bitsy funny. He's good! Just not good enough to make the movie good.

Ok ok, but it has a story then! ... no. The writers had no clue what to do with this and that starts to show as early as when the decision is made by the American government (ho boy, at least make it Japan for a change...) to put Dr. Robotnik in play. I'm not going to spoil, just experience for yourself how absolutely lame this movie kicks off. But it's a game movie (allegedly) so it uses game logic.

Besides that? ... yeah its the usual butchering of stuff you loved as a kid. Robots, lasers, rockets. This movie is 50% road trip with Sonic and 50% explosions and lasers.

But here's the kicker. Before I went to see this movie I was praying. Praying for one thing to not be true: that I had already seen all the funny bits of this movie in the trailers. I was heavily disappointed. It's all in there folks. Every gag. Ever funny Jim Carrey moment - you've probably already seen it. Have fun reliving it with more filler in between!

The movie has some good Sonic references hidden in it though. At least there's that. Also: when the credits start to roll, keep watching! I'm pretty sure the sequel is going to be quite a bit better. Call it a hunch.

5/10 <--- score for adults who grew up with Sonic

There was this 5-6 year old kid sitting next to me. Just my luck, I go see the movie in English in the Netherlands and then the only ADHD American kid in a hundred km radius is sitting right next to me and he couldn't shut up. This was a good thing as it improved my own viewing experience; this kid was having the time of his life, the movie completely blew his mind and the sugar coursing through his veins nearly burst out of his ears. That fun was infectious. So I think it is pretty safe to say:

8/10 <--- young sugared up child score

Definitely go see with kids if you can scrounge them up. Your own, a nephew, a neighbor, whatever. Drag em in there.
Old 25 February 2020, 20:30   #2627
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

lol... was thinkin' to wait until DVD/BR release, but now I might take my son to see it. (who actually wanted to see it )
Old 29 February 2020, 21:33   #2628
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Another weekend, another cinema visit (because there is so much to see right now...)

This time, Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey

The bad: they really lay it on thick that "Mr. J" is not in this movie. So much so that they should have just paid Jared Leto so he could be in this movie one last time so they could show his face every time his name was mentioned...

Ewan McGregor? Yeah he completely sucks as a villain. He's just too... Obi Wan Kenobi to play a role like this. Yet again a DC title where the bad guy just stinks. Come on people.

The good: The entire bleeping movie. There is little story, because this is not a story-driven movie. The movie is called "Birds of Prey" but that is really more of a side story to get some more kick ass chicks in there; this is Harley Quinn: the movie. A soft reboot of the character to put her in the DC spotlight where she belongs rather than acting as a sidekick in a dead story arc of a forgotten flawed movie.

This movie has only one goal and that is to drag you from one insane R-rated over the top fighting scene to the next while making you fall head over heels in love with Harley and it delivers. This is how you make action movies. Breaking bones, flying teeth, comic book martial arts moves, adrenaline, humor, sparkles, bright colors, excellent soundtrack... and yeah, beautiful Margot Robbie in as skimpy an outfit as possible. And a hyena.

8/10 - solid gold popcorn entertainment.
Old 03 March 2020, 17:13   #2629
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

I really feel old, my kid went with boyfriend to watch this movie..

I was nice... just like this...

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 03 March 2020, 21:16   #2630
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Hey Anubis. Let me tell you man...

you are old.
Old 03 March 2020, 21:37   #2631
DamienD
Global Moderator

ROFL

Well, I'm virtually half-way between the both of you... and yes, I feel old
Old 19 March 2020, 12:37   #2632
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

Since kids are at home and no school - we watched first 2 Johnny English movies.

Today it is a rare to see comedy that whole family can watch together. Lots of fun, Rowan Atkinson funny as always... and my grading of both movies is probably affected by fact that movie was meant for wider audience, something many other comedies fail to do.

Johnny English (2003)
First movie, John Malkovichas greedy Frenchmen, just priceless... 7/10

Johnny English Reborn more fun, same format... 7/10
[ Show youtube player ]

Tonight plan is to watch third movie.

Last edited by Anubis; 19 March 2020 at 13:02.
Old 19 March 2020, 13:00   #2633
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I'm just watching a lot of Korean KDrama stuff on Netflix... I'm changing. And I'm rewatching the Witcher just for the heck of it.

On the upside John Wick 3 and Spiderman Far From Home just dropped on Netflix so I'll be rewatching those. But yeah... closed cinemas suck. I really wanted to see the Gentlemen. I read it's going on demand sooner than planned because of all this, so I hope Netflix can pick it up.
Old 19 March 2020, 13:08   #2634
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

I heard some studios already offer new releases On Demand @ price around 20 bucks.

We have home popcorn machine and local store sells ingredients in ponds... so we are all set for few more family movie nights.

Just got week of free HBO through HULU, so will probably watch Westworld next, started already watching second season of Altered Carbon on Netflix. In second season Anthony Mackie (Flacon from Marvel Universe) portraits character of Takeshi Kovacs and so far series is just as good as first season.
Old 20 March 2020, 12:34   #2635
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

Johnny English Strikes Again (2018) - As planed, we saw thirst Johnny English last night, and movie did not disappoint. My kids loved scene with VR, and best part is that movie is rated PG, which in my opinion makes it more worth watching. 7 / 10.

Alita: Battle Angel (2019) - Love the movie and presentation, hate the end is that best describes this movie. I like dystopian future and visuals are incredible and at level what you can expect from Cameron. It is rare that I watch more than one movie a day, but I just could not resist to see this movie last night, even ending somewhat disappoints. Thank you Hulu for starting movie after movie...

7.5 out of 10 with this ending and if this is only movie, would be 8.5 out of 10 if they make another movie that will continue where this movie stops.

BTW, wiki has nice list of all dystopian movies...
Old 25 March 2020, 11:48   #2636
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

Police Academy (1984) - Not much needed to say about this movie, most likely everyone has seen it. Rated R for language and nudity, otherwise fun story that follows group of misfits through police academy after selection criteria has been lifted. It is interesting that most of memorable movies comes from this time... golden age of movies. Of course, some of jokes are quite offensive... but that is what comedy is for...

6 / 10
Old 25 March 2020, 15:53   #2637
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I like Police Academy 2-4 the most, because of Zed That character is pure gold.
Old 25 March 2020, 19:01   #2638
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

That is on list of movies to watch. Interestingly, I have complete DVD set, but still watched on streaming service.
Old 27 March 2020, 12:31   #2639
Anubis
Na'vi Gamer

Well, to make it more interesting, bit different movie this time...

Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (2019)

From nice stories, good acting to really good ending... was amazed by movie and ability to make crazy violence at the end laughable... Another hit by Tarantino.

Fckng hippies...

Anything we can do about heat??
No, it is a flamethrower.

8.5 / 10
Old 27 March 2020, 14:48   #2640
BullyDog

Well hell... that's a must see. Funny I didn't hear of it.