English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. System

Old 21 October 2020, 15:25   #3561
AMIGASYSTEM

Hi Peter, a question, is there anything to remove the halo (clear frame) that is created around the PNG icons when using a Worckbench MagicWB ?

This problem only happens when there is a background.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 24 December 2020 at 23:54.
Old 21 October 2020, 17:54   #3562
PeterK

Hi Carlo, is that a Workbench 3.1?

Usually, on 3.9/3.1.4 you would use Prefs/Workbench to set the frame size or to switch it off completely.

But on your screenshot the borders are disabled and the frames are not transparent, so that looks like WB 3.1 with something like "DontShowIBorder" or similar tools. These programs can not make the frames transparent.

On my IconDemo1200.adf I'm using the NewIcons patch and NiRTGset to make the background of PNG, OS4 and ColorIcons transparent. Look into the startup-sequence to see how that is done. You also have to call NiPrefs or NewIconsPrefs to enable the transparent background and you need one of the original newicon.libraries installed (NOT the emulated libs from Stephan Rupprecht or OS 3.9).

Last edited by PeterK; 21 October 2020 at 18:04.
Old 22 October 2020, 10:22   #3563
AMIGASYSTEM

It was OS 3.1, with OS3.1.4 and 3.9 I know how to solve.

I had had a look at your floppy IconDemo1200 but I had not considered NewIcons, thanks always very helpful and kind.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 22 October 2020 at 10:28.
Old 22 October 2020, 11:21   #3564
AMIGASYSTEM

Perfect Peter, in addition to configure NiPrefs I had to add in the startup-sequence "KillPlanarImages" otherwise on some PNG icons I saw only a dot

Old 22 October 2020, 11:45   #3565
PeterK

PNG icons have no planar images, that are OS4 icons with bad planar images from AfA, I guess. Btw, looks not like a TrueColor screen anymore.
Old 22 October 2020, 12:00   #3566
AMIGASYSTEM

In fact, with NiPrefs, the Icons lose quality, if I disable transparencies preferences on NiPrefs the colors return.

Also if I change resolution in PAL the dots return

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 24 October 2020 at 13:34.
Old 22 October 2020, 12:31   #3567
PeterK

Sorry, NiRTGset is a hack for non-RTG systems and FBlit only.

Don't use NiRTGset or FBlit on a real RTG system with P96 or CGX4.

Concerning the planar images, there must be something else going wrong with your configuration. I never had that problem. It works here without any dot images on PAL and RTG screens. At the moment I don't have the time to solve your problem, maybe in the evening.
Old 22 October 2020, 12:41   #3568
AMIGASYSTEM

About TrueColor I had solved, using NiRTGset, now I think the icons are perfect, see screenshots.

For PAL dots I have to check what I'm missing I never used those icons before on MagicWB.

Old 24 October 2020, 11:11   #3569
AMIGASYSTEM

Ok fixed also with the PAL, to give problem was the "AddDataTypes" and "DataTypes.library" that I replaced to use the JPG backgrounds not supported by 3.1

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 17 December 2020 at 09:24.
Old 24 October 2020, 12:05   #3570
PeterK

Thanks Carlo, good to know that installing wrong datatype files can have such strange side effects.

I've also found another conflict with WB 3.1: Birdie patches some drawing functions in a way that my own patches for the blitter functions don't work correctly anymore and the icon background is not cleaned up when you select or release an icon (some parts of the previous image are remaining).
Old 24 October 2020, 13:34   #3571
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Thanks Carlo, good to know that installing wrong datatype files can have such strange side effects.
The strangest thing is that with RTG resolution the problem does not exist, it only happens with PAL.

Here is what happens on OS 3.1 with PAL with more updated versions of Datatypes + Adddatype + Picture datatype, With RTG no problem as shown above in the screnshot

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 17 December 2020 at 09:24.
Old 24 October 2020, 18:29   #3572
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Here is what happens on OS 3.1 with PAL with more updated versions of Datatypes + Adddatype + Picture datatype,
Which versions are showing these glitches?

Are you using FastIPrefs or the WBPattern that comes with it or the original OS 3.1 IPrefs and WBPattern?

Are the icons displayed correctly without a JPG picture/pattern as background?

Last edited by PeterK; 24 October 2020 at 18:36.
Old 24 October 2020, 19:07   #3573
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Which versions are showing these glitches?

Are you using FastIPrefs or the WBPattern that comes with it or the original OS 3.1 IPrefs and WBPattern?

Are the icons displayed correctly without a JPG picture/pattern as background?
- No use FastIPrefs

- Use IPrefs and WBPattern Standard OS 3.1

Without background image I only see dots on some kind of Icon see screenshot (only PAL, RTG no Problem)
As said above with "AddDataTypes" and "DataTypes.library" Standard OS3.1 no problem, everything works well in both PAL and RTG.

Of course I used some commands from your demo floppy with a "trick" of mine as you call it

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 06 December 2020 at 09:27.
Old 19 November 2020, 19:54   #3574
PeterK

Update to icon.library 46.4.541:

In many tests of 540 on Apollo OS (6 GB 7z, 16 GB HDF) I couldn't find the icon.library being responsible for the crashes, although there were Enforcer hits caused by Aros 68k Arexx, the "Lib & Dev Loader Daemon", Urltext.mcc and other programs like MCP patches, MCPPrefs, the DOpus5 filetype Music Module (Sound Module), powerpacker.library. But the culprit probably was XADopus.module and a wrong xadmaster.library version as the Apollo maintainer finally discovered. Furthermore, LoadResident and LoadModule don't work on Aros 68k , and RemLib only without the MMU enabled. (Use the original Aros 68k ROMs for Apollo on WinUAE, disable the ROM loading in the startup-sequence).

This update to 541 has no new features but comes with some other bug fixes. 1.) There sometimes was a problem on WB 3.1 with refreshing the image background when you selected or unselected an icon (i.e. conflicts with Birdie NoIconBorder). This has been solved for the 68020 version. Better use the NewIcons patch for transparent icon backgrounds with TC020 on WB 3.1. 2.) There were some wrong redirections for the error handling from the PNG code into the ARGB code. 3.) Since build 533 the low memory handling for the TrueColor buffers was badly broken and caused freezes as soon as the system was running out of memory.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Important_Restrictions.txt (567 Bytes, 154 views)

Last edited by PeterK; 22 November 2020 at 18:48.
Old 06 January 2021, 13:10   #3575
AMIGASYSTEM

Hi Peter, I've installed 46.4.541 on AROS One 68k (I use Wanderer), I've noticed that the IconCopyer program doesn't recognize the IconeDuelPNG anymore (with previous versions of Icon.library it worked regularly), the conversion with IconCopyer however works fine anyway

The software IconCopy instead has no problem seeing Dual-PNG icons

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 09 January 2021 at 01:08.
Old 06 January 2021, 13:25   #3576
PeterK

Ok, thanks for the info Carlo!

I will check that soon ... Update: IconCopier has Enforcer hits with any icon.library, even v45.22. That needs more investigations ... later ... it works on my system, but ...

... now I know what IconCopier 1.1 makes wrong and causes the Enforcer hits: When you drag an icon into the source window of its GUI then it already calls a subroutine for displaying both icon images, the source and the target, although there still was no icon dragged into the destination window yet, which means that the destination address is still zero, and thus IconCopier tries to load and modify a non-existent DiskObject structure at the zeropage. By this mistake it may read random data and could even damage the system. So please don't use IconCopier 1.1 anymore to avoid instability or faults.

There are also some other reported problems with zlib.library and powerpc.library which need to be solved, too.

zlib.library tries to load powerpc.library if that exists, even without WarpOS running, and then the system may hang. A possible temporary work around for zlib.library is to change the string "powerpc.library" into something else like "fakeppc.library" with FileX.

Last edited by PeterK; 07 January 2021 at 21:49.
Old 07 January 2021, 23:53   #3577
AMIGASYSTEM

Thanks Peter, however it's strange that "with all" your previous versions works fine!

On AROS 68k also works well IconCopy (what you see in the screnshot) only that it does not report the settings (source and destination) and many times you make a mistake and do the opposite then it copies only the image.

There is still a problem, when you ask the system to create an icon (show all ifile) the icons are biased "transparent", and you can force the normal visibility!

Also found two strange Bug on the icons on AROS, this does not depend on icon.library, in practice if you try to rename an icon from Wanderer "without file" (only icon) the system hangs.

Another Bug, if you drag an icon from a drawer to another "same volume" instead of the "move" does the "Copy" and then you find yourself with two files, ifpero is understandable what I write.
Old 09 January 2021, 01:14   #3578
AMIGASYSTEM

Sorry Peter, IconCopyer works perfectly with 46.4.541, it was my fault I used icon.library_TC02 instead of icon.library_AROS.

Sorry again the fault of old age

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 19 January 2021 at 17:05.
Old 09 January 2021, 12:56   #3579
PeterK

Confirmed ! With TC020 on Aros 68k I get the planar images in IconCopier too.

That's because only the Aros version treats Wanderer exactly in the same way as the Workbench task on AOS, it's a WB substitute. In the TC020 version Wanderer is just something like any other application.

Never mind, I'm also an old senior like you ...

I hope that you got the 3 emails, one from EAB yesterday and two from home 2 days ago. However, the problem seems to be solved now, although I would recommend not to use IconCopier anymore. I made a test version with a very simple fix for the Enforcer hits, but it waits until both icons, source and destinations, have been dragged into the window before it displays the images. So the first icon image gets not visible until also the second icon was dragged in, which could be a bit confusing.
Old 09 January 2021, 17:52   #3580
AMIGASYSTEM

Yes sorry Peter that E-Amail I rarely look at it, as said now with the Icon.library-AROS IconCopier works great with Wanderer.

I use IconCopier because on AROS One there are no other similar tools that work well, except IconCopy which I don't like because it can be confusing.

I use the RemLib command at the top of the user-startup and it works fine, nothing changes if I insert RemLib at the top of the Startup-sequence with TC020

I only have the problem of faded "transparent" icons of volumes added on Wanderer, with the "Nightly Build" it doesn't happen.

This is a new problem that surely does not depend on the icon.library:

Updating AROS One with the latest "Nightly Build" I found a serious problem in saving Tooltypes changes.

With the basic "Nightly Build" the error is not present !

I enclose a video that shows the use of IconCopier/IconCopy and the error encountered in saving Icons Tooltypes.

http://eab.abime.net/zone/Test.avi

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 09 January 2021 at 18:15.