English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 17 July 2020, 15:55   #4261
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

gimbal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Spijkenisse/Netherlands
Age: 39
Posts: 4,021
Hm no not yet actually. I might even already own Just Cause 4 because it was a freebie...
gimbal is offline  
Old 17 July 2020, 17:10   #4262
Nobby_UK
Registered User
Nobby_UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 1,700
I have Just Cause 2 but never got the hang of the controls

I also have the original Far Cry on Disc,
but I see Far Cry® 2: Fortune's Edition
is only £2.57 on Steam, tempting...

Far Cry 3 is only £2.54 or £3.89 for the Deluxe Edition

Last edited by Nobby_UK; 17 July 2020 at 17:22.
Nobby_UK is offline  
Old 17 July 2020, 20:02   #4263
RuySan
Registered User
RuySan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Portugal
Age: 39
Posts: 95
I've been playing age of wonders 3. It's endlessly replayable. It has easily the best tactical combat in the genre.
RuySan is offline  
Old 17 July 2020, 20:21   #4264
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Anubis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Underworld
Age: 48
Posts: 3,133
I got JC 1, 2 and 4. Got 3 already from Ubisoft bundle some time ago, but never played more than intro. Wanted to play from beginning. From what I remember FC1 was quite short game.

FC Primal was fun and story was quite nice.
Anubis is offline  
Old 17 July 2020, 23:18   #4265
Biscuit
Baked Produce

Biscuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: UK
Age: 40
Posts: 746
Just Cause 2 was great. Endlessly sidetracked by little villages. Oddly I could describe Far Cry 2 exactly the same.

I'm still plugging away at Avernum: Escape from the Pit. Been many months now. I know I play games slower than most people. Currently about 50 hours on this and I'm only halfway through it. So much to do. I like that it's not a grindfest and the interface is good too. Gonna have to put aside some serious time to finish it soon.

Of course, also playing Gods and World Class Leader Board for this months Leaderboard competition.
Biscuit is offline  
Old 17 July 2020, 23:20   #4266
manossg
Registered User

 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Greece
Posts: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post

I'm still plugging away at Avernum: Escape from the Pit. Been many months now. I know I play games slower than most people. Currently about 50 hours on this and I'm only halfway through it. So much to do. I like that it's not a grindfest and the interface is good too. Gonna have to put aside some serious time to finish it soon.
Avernum is a FANTASTIC series of games. Pity these aren't available for the miggy.
manossg is online now  
Old 17 July 2020, 23:31   #4267
Biscuit
Baked Produce

Biscuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: UK
Age: 40
Posts: 746
It's the first one I've played. Getting more and more sucked into it. Lot of work gone into creating the world. I can see myself playing the next one or trying Avadon.
Biscuit is offline  
Old 18 July 2020, 00:40   #4268
RuySan
Registered User
RuySan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Portugal
Age: 39
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
It's the first one I've played. Getting more and more sucked into it. Lot of work gone into creating the world. I can see myself playing the next one or trying Avadon.
Avadon is nowhere near as good as the Avernum or the Geneforge series. I read the guys blog, and he makes very interesting observations about game design, but sometimes I feel like he doesn't understand what makes his own games good.

He made Avadon because he was in love with Bioware's Mass Effect series. It just doesn't work. I found it utterly boring and dull.

He has a knack for designing interesting worlds that are a joy to explore. His writing is both brief and great. I love the descriptions of the atmosphere of Avernum.
RuySan is offline  
Old 18 July 2020, 10:02   #4269
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Anubis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Underworld
Age: 48
Posts: 3,133
Now I wonder if FC5 gold is worth 17 bucks... 8 for game itself.
Anubis is offline  
Old 18 July 2020, 12:45   #4270
Biscuit
Baked Produce

Biscuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: UK
Age: 40
Posts: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuySan View Post
Avadon is nowhere near as good as the Avernum or the Geneforge series. I read the guys blog, and he makes very interesting observations about game design, but sometimes I feel like he doesn't understand what makes his own games good.
That's a shame. Hitting on that golden formula must be hard. I've just read some of his blog and I like how candid he is. I've some interest in Queens Wish as something a bit different, but might skip it for the upcoming Geneforge. Ideally I'd have time and money for it all but hey.
Biscuit is offline  
Old 20 July 2020, 11:23   #4271
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

gimbal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Spijkenisse/Netherlands
Age: 39
Posts: 4,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
From what I remember FC1 was quite short game
Define short. There are a lot of levels, the levels are moderately big and... the game is so friggin' difficult that it takes quite some effort to beat through them.

It's a linear FPS game of course, so it does not have 40 hours of side and fetch quest padding like most modern Ubi games. It'll take as much time as it would take to complete a modern Doom game I'd say.

Quote:
Now I wonder if FC5 gold is worth 17 bucks... 8 for game itself.
I certainly think so. It's basically a blend of Far Cry 4 and Primal with an even bigger world map and more side activities; you get to fly everywhere and blow up everything and you get to have companions (of which animals... Cheeseburger the bear, best Far Cry character ever). The main story is a bit meh though, and unlike other Far Cry games you get forced into the main story missions from time to time which is a little jarring. But whatever, you don't play Far Cry to be emotionally touched by the story. You play it to fix all problems with a knife and a grenade launcher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby_UK View Post
but I see Far Cry® 2: Fortune's Edition
is only £2.57 on Steam, tempting...
Far Cry 2 has it's charm, but the gameplay is still very crude, it shares some problems with the first Assassin's Creed game. The African world is beautiful and that is the main reason to play it, but there isn't a whole lot to do in it. Traveling around the map can be a time consuming chore, enemies respawn really fast to the point where it gets a little annoying and the worst idea of any Far Cry: weapons degrade and will start to jam, and they do so fast. You will be going to a shop (which are NOT everywhere) to replace your gear almost every mission. You sometimes spend more time preparing for a mission than you do actually playing a mission.

Last edited by gimbal; 20 July 2020 at 11:30.
gimbal is offline  
Old 20 July 2020, 17:04   #4272
Nobby_UK
Registered User
Nobby_UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 1,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Define short. There are a lot of levels, the levels are moderately big and... the game is so friggin' difficult that it takes quite some effort to beat through them.

It's a linear FPS game of course, so it does not have 40 hours of side and fetch quest padding like most modern Ubi games. It'll take as much time as it would take to complete a modern Doom game I'd say.

I concur, I think I got my money's worth



Quote:
Far Cry 2 has it's charm, but the gameplay is still very crude, it shares some problems with the first Assassin's Creed game. The African world is beautiful and that is the main reason to play it, but there isn't a whole lot to do in it. Traveling around the map can be a time consuming chore, enemies respawn really fast to the point where it gets a little annoying and the worst idea of any Far Cry: weapons degrade and will start to jam, and they do so fast. You will be going to a shop (which are NOT everywhere) to replace your gear almost every mission. You sometimes spend more time preparing for a mission than you do actually playing a mission.

Oh Dear
Glad I didn't go for it
Nobby_UK is offline  
Old 20 July 2020, 23:29   #4273
mr.spiv
Registered User
mr.spiv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Finland
Age: 48
Posts: 171
Smarty and the Nasty Gluttons.. full version
mr.spiv is offline  
Old 20 July 2020, 23:48   #4274
Havie
Registered User
Havie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 1,054
If you hadn't seen the thread - been suckered into playing Top Gear 2 and now have to finish it!

Washed it down with a few games of Rodland...
Havie is offline  
Old 21 July 2020, 18:24   #4275
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Anubis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Underworld
Age: 48
Posts: 3,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Define short. There are a lot of levels, the levels are moderately big and... the game is so friggin' difficult that it takes quite some effort to beat through them.

It's a linear FPS game of course, so it does not have 40 hours of side and fetch quest padding like most modern Ubi games. It'll take as much time as it would take to complete a modern Doom game I'd say.
Thanks, will probably play it once done with Skyrim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
I certainly think so. It's basically a blend of Far Cry 4 and Primal with an even bigger world map and more side activities; you get to fly everywhere and blow up everything and you get to have companions (of which animals... Cheeseburger the bear, best Far Cry character ever). The main story is a bit meh though, and unlike other Far Cry games you get forced into the main story missions from time to time which is a little jarring. But whatever, you don't play Far Cry to be emotionally touched by the story. You play it to fix all problems with a knife and a grenade launcher.
I forgot about this and sale is over. ATM price shows close to 90 bucks for gold edition. Will wait next sale and in mean time I have first 4 games to play (plus couple others that are waiting in line).

Thank you!
Anubis is offline  
Old 21 July 2020, 19:56   #4276
Nobby_UK
Registered User
Nobby_UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 1,700
Mass Effect = Noveria Garage to Peak 15
I read I am now locked out of all the other (off Citadel) side missions
Just when I was getting used to the game mechanics...

New Vegas = Boulder City Done > [ Loving the Fire Axe ]

Fallout 4 = Just met an Assaultron in The Mass Bay Medical Center
Wow !

Last edited by Nobby_UK; 25 July 2020 at 20:03.
Nobby_UK is offline  
Old 26 July 2020, 11:01   #4277
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful
Muzkat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Earthrealm
Age: 39
Posts: 1,352
I am currently enjoying Doom Eternal. It's so hard it rips my balls off but I keep coming back for more.

As always, I am playing Mortal Kombat 11 and a few other fighting games (Street Fighter 5 and Soul Calibur 6).

Last night I installed Warhammer 40k: Inquisitor Martyr. As a huge WH nerd I have had my eye on this one for awhile. I'm pleased to say it really captures the gothic, deep-space horror of the franchise quite well. Plus it reminds me abit of Loaded and Reloaded for the PS1.

As for Far Cry, I'd say the only one I truly enjoyed was the first one, because the enemy AI was amazing, the gunfights were intense and the story was fun. I played FC3 and just found it very repetitive. Then again, I don't seem to enjoy open world games much.
Muzkat is offline  
Old 26 July 2020, 18:53   #4278
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Anubis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Underworld
Age: 48
Posts: 3,133
Still playing Skyrim and thanks to mods enjoying it. Closing to end with major quests and stories, but still have couple other mods that are DLC size.
Anubis is offline  
Old 26 July 2020, 22:05   #4279
Nobby_UK
Registered User
Nobby_UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 1,700
New Vegas:
Doing jobs for The King
and others in Freeside
Nobby_UK is offline  
Old 27 July 2020, 03:21   #4280
Nobby_UK
Registered User
Nobby_UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 1,700
Mass Effect:
Apparently...
the next time I use the Galaxy Map,
Joker will give me a message to return the Citadel (grounded).
Nobby_UK is offline  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 14 (0 members and 14 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Playing on my A1200 fatboy Retrogaming General Discussion 3 20 August 2013 19:25
Playing samples Lonewolf10 Coders. Tutorials 8 18 February 2013 23:33
Playing with Kryoflux Keir project.SPS (was CAPS) 6 07 September 2011 04:13
playing amiga on pc Brendan support.WinUAE 10 19 February 2007 15:54
Lemmings 2 - Playing help... vroom6sri support.Games 2 22 November 2005 10:10

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:21.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.24787 seconds with 16 queries