English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 23 July 2020, 22:28   #61
Retro1234
Boo

you might find the game runs ok on cycle-exact 68000 once compiled,
I can't remember what it is but iirc there is some command you add to your code that makes it run faster still once compiled.
There also Turbo Extensions etc

and I find some code run faster on Amos the creater but not tile pasting that seems faster on Pro.
Old 23 July 2020, 22:54   #62
Brick Nash
Prototron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
you might find the game runs ok on cycle-exact 68000 once compiled,
I can't remember what it is but iirc there is some command you add to your code that makes it run faster still once compiled.
There also Turbo Extensions etc

and I find some code run faster on Amos the creater but not tile pasting that seems faster on Pro.
I was thinking of using Powerbobs as apparently they are faster.

It'd just be nice to see how it runs in the interpreter in Cycle Exact for a pre-compile frame of reference as I suspect my code is being heavily supported by the fact that it's just running as many cycles as it needs.

Even when I switch to 68000 OCS Fastest Possible there are some animation glitches, which I think are due to how I'm returning to the main loop code after a move is executed, but it could also just be a bug.
Old 24 July 2020, 00:32   #63
redblade
Zone Friend

Great work. Real fast scrolling.

Can AMOS scroll that fast full screen?
Old 24 July 2020, 13:36   #64
Brick Nash
Prototron

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblade View Post
Great work. Real fast scrolling.

Can AMOS scroll that fast full screen?
I think Amos is perfectly capable of it depending on how busy the screen is/how big the sprites and bobs are. I'm no expert though.
Old 24 July 2020, 13:53   #65
nikosidis

Very cool! I be more than happy to test on real hardware if you like. I have A500, A600 and A1200.
Old 24 July 2020, 16:14   #66
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
Seeing as this is Amos I am VERY impressed!

This brings back some great memories of a Christmas back in the early 90's.

My younger brothers got a Megadrive which came bundled with this game and we ragged the hell out of it! pretty much played it non stop along with Golden Axe.

I would love to see this attempt polished up and music added
Old 25 July 2020, 17:00   #67
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Oh wow.

What I would have given to play Streets of Rage - or any decent beat em up for that matter - on my Amiga back in the day.
Old 30 July 2020, 19:17   #68
Brick Nash
Prototron

End of the road - Compiled version is too slow

Well folks, I think this is the end of the road for this project.

I set up a new proper WinUAE environment which allowed me to compile and test the game at an A500, 68000, and Cycle Exact Setting. I was always suspicious that it was running too well due to my old setup being locked on Fastest Possible - and I was right.

[ Show youtube player ]

As you can see from the video, the results are pretty bad. It's just far too slow and choppy, even when compiled, so there's not much point in going on. Even on higher settings (ECS, AGA) it's pretty sluggish, and I was wanting at least a minimum of three enemies on screen before any issues arose, but it struggles badly even with two.

Apologies for the out of sync audio, but I captured this using the WinUAE output because for some reason Frapps just wasn't wanting to record this new setup.

It could be my code which is slowing things down (I'm not handling enemy clone objects very well), but I'm a bit too burned out to try a re-write.

Just if anyone's interested, the final features that were added were:

- "Round Start" text at the start of the level.
- Game Over screen: Player can now die and the game goes back to the title screen.
- Working HUD: Timer counts down, enemies healthbar appear when hit and disappears after 5 or 6 seconds, and players life and healthbar changes accordingly.
- Enemy spawner: Enemies re-appear off screen after the last one is killed.

Cheers!
Old 30 July 2020, 19:42   #69
alain.treesong
Aghnar

Perhaps you can publish your code and someone could take it back and make it better?

I find the result so far interesting even if it's a bit slow on a 500 emulation.
Anyway, good job.
Old 30 July 2020, 21:35   #70
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I would still like to try it on my 030/50MHz setup.
Old 30 July 2020, 22:53   #71
Brick Nash
Prototron

Quote:
Originally Posted by alain.treesong View Post
Perhaps you can publish your code and someone could take it back and make it better?

I find the result so far interesting even if it's a bit slow on a 500 emulation.
Anyway, good job.
I was going to make it open source anyway, so yeah it'll definitely happen. Will probably record a small video tomorrow for my YT channel just to exhibit what's there, and then put up the project file.

It's a shame as I had my eye on doing something with Alien Storm next if this worked out. However, I also had a lot of fun and learned loads from the experience, so all good.

Predseda - It should run fine on that setup. It starts to get playable when the CPU is hiked to around double the speed on stock OCS A500 settings, so 030 at 50Mhz should give it plenty of grunt.
Old 30 July 2020, 23:01   #72
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Most of today Amigas are equipped with Fast Ram and accelerators, even A500s. So dont worry and go on!
Old 30 July 2020, 23:37   #73
d4rk3lf

aca 500 plus on my amiga 500 have default 14mhz 68000, 8MB Ram, and can go up to 42Mhz.
Many A500 owners have exact same card.

Would definitely want to try it, and I'l post the results.
I'll be sad if you stop now, although I understand "burned out", but you can maybe consider a brake, until we try it out on all possible configurations, and meanwhile, someone might give some hints for further optimization.

But HUGE thanks anyway, for this demo.
Old 30 July 2020, 23:58   #74
Havie

That's the danger with Winuae - you think something is running well but it's not always representative of real hardware unless you set it up right.

It sounds like a break is a really good idea for now and I know that sometimes you have to have a break and come back to something to get motivated again. It would be great to see the source code (and assets? for self compiling) as you have obviously done some great programming!
Old 31 July 2020, 01:44   #75
Retro1234
Boo

its not actually that slow I'm impressed with the speed your getting and seems like your be fine on 68020?

are you using any Sprites? if you change you main character to a sprite you should get another significant speed increase.

I know it's time consuming but it might be worth trying to compile it under Amos the creator for comparison.

anyway I think your onto something and should keep going.
Old 31 July 2020, 01:49   #76
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Send a message via Yahoo to Samurai_Crow
Based on my conversations with Mike Parent about Metro Siege, the main limitation is Chip RAM. That's why they reuse arms, legs, hips and torsos for all the characters. 512k chip is rough.
Old 31 July 2020, 03:16   #77
alpine9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
its not actually that slow I'm impressed with the speed your getting and seems like your be fine on 68020?

are you using any Sprites? if you change you main character to a sprite you should get another significant speed increase.

I know it's time consuming but it might be worth trying to compile it under Amos the creator for comparison.

anyway I think your onto something and should keep going.
It can be complex to use sprites for brawler characters as the characters often need to be both in front of and behind other bobs.
Old 31 July 2020, 09:52   #78
Brick Nash
Prototron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_Crow View Post
Based on my conversations with Mike Parent about Metro Siege, the main limitation is Chip RAM. That's why they reuse arms, legs, hips and torsos for all the characters. 512k chip is rough.
The largest sprite sheet (or slice sheet) is the Blaze character, which is just (320x240) and that is broken up into (I think) 129 small images. The enemy sheet is a fraction of this.

Graphics in RAM don't seem to be an issue as the character themselves are quite small. If anything I think it's how I'm getting multiple (clone) enemies on screen which may possibly be slowing things down. I'm certainly no expert though, so you may be right.

EDIT: I think you may be right. I thought I had the specs set to 1 Meg Chip, but it's set at 2 Meg. I wasn't compressing anything yet though.

Last edited by Brick Nash; 31 July 2020 at 10:29.
Old 31 July 2020, 18:33   #79
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_Crow View Post
Main limitation is Chip Ram regarded you're using a capable coding language and you've spent a shit load of time optimising and making sure everything runs at a steady fps and as fast as possible. Then and only then RAM becomes the main concern. Also RAM depends on many factors. Size of characters, size of the moveset and number of animations, size of tileset, sfx and music.
Old 31 July 2020, 19:13   #80
Brick Nash
Prototron

Source code & assets download

Well, here's a download link which contains the source code, assets, and an adf with the compiled game on it. The adf doesn't boot, but the WB exe in it will run.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=d...PoMhOEtCbr2OFH

I "think" I've included everything, although the paths will have to be changed in the code. The graphics don't use abk files as I was still sorting out where in the image bank they went, but there's a slicer procedure which imports the player/baddies/fonts etc. when the game is run so it works.

It's pretty ropy coding so I can't see anyone using this as a basis for anything, but if you want to then go ahead.

Any problems then give me a holler, as I've probably forgotten to do something.

Cheers!