English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 23 April 2008, 05:35   #1
Techx

Forgot how to re-assemble a1200 lol

Hey guys,

So many months ago I took apart my a1200 so that I can a) check my caps and make sure they aren't leaking and b) clean/restore it with 99% alcohol and clean the plastic casing. And boy did it sure need it, I must have spilled soda or coffee in there and not even remember it! Yuk! No worries everything is scrubbed and looks clean and new, I just don't remember how to put the floppy drive assembly back together, can anyone help or provide photos? I looked on google image for so long and found nothing.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0684sm.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	290.0 KB
ID:	16420   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0706sm.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	258.0 KB
ID:	16421   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0710sm.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	16422  
Old 23 April 2008, 22:23   #2
twizzle

what make & model of floppy drive do you have ?
and i will see if i have 1 ?

if so i will take some close up piccys of the internals for you.
Old 23 April 2008, 23:06   #3
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
I think you don't need a pic.

Simply thread a screw in the under middle-thread of the floppy unit and then screw the holder to the right spot in the motherboard.

But if you really need, I can take some photos to you.
Old 24 April 2008, 00:17   #4
Eclipse
Turpentine

As far as I am aware, the leaking SMT capacitor syndrome would have manifested itself within about the first 5 years of manufacture. It was also a very small percentage and was a result of the way the boards were soldered and not the components.
Old 24 April 2008, 03:27   #5
Techx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post
As far as I am aware, the leaking SMT capacitor syndrome would have manifested itself within about the first 5 years of manufacture. It was also a very small percentage and was a result of the way the boards were soldered and not the components.
from all the reading i've done about it i was under the impression that its only a matter of time before capaciters stop working or leak - IE they dont last forever.. anyway they look fine.. i'll also try what you said rkauer
thanks all
Old 24 April 2008, 05:54   #6
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techx View Post
from all the reading i've done about it i was under the impression that its only a matter of time before capaciters stop working or leak - IE they dont last forever.. anyway they look fine.. i'll also try what you said rkauer
thanks all
I strongly advice anyone who have an Amiga with SMT caps to swap all those little f***ers once each 3~5 years. Big electrolytic caps must swapped
also, since they could dry (!) internally. This is a natural process and a cause of a lot of headaches. My 2 cents.
Old 24 April 2008, 22:10   #7
Eclipse
Turpentine

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkauer View Post
I strongly advice anyone who have an Amiga with SMT caps to swap all those little f***ers once each 3~5 years. Big electrolytic caps must swapped
also, since they could dry (!) internally. This is a natural process and a cause of a lot of headaches. My 2 cents.
There is a wiki on the capacitor plague here.
Quote:
Some early brands of surface mount aluminium electrolytic capacitors suffered from an apparently similar, but actually different problem involving electrolyte leakage. Surface mount soldering is usually achieved by first screen printing dabs of solder paste onto the printed circuit board, gluing the components into position, and then running the board assembly through a tank of hot fluorocarbon gas to melt the solder. In an attempt to ensure more reliable soldering, some manufacturers increased the temperature of the fluorocarbon gas, which unknown to them, damaged the rubber seals of the capacitors, causing them to dry out or start to leak after one or two years of operation.
The wiki does not mention it but there was also sub-par SMT caps during the Amiga's lifetime. These also caused a few headaches.

I have to say though that I do agree that they should be changed. Modern SMT devices are of a much higher quality if you buy decent items.
Many are also dry construction rather than the goo of old.