English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Language > Coders. Blitz Basic

Old 16 February 2019, 14:57   #1
MickGyver

Longer lines of code in SuperTED?

Is it possible to increase the number of symbols possible on a line in SuperTED? It seems the "default" maximum is 128 symbols/columns. I use version 2.52.

(I like to use descriptive constants and they quickly make code lines too long.)
Old 17 February 2019, 10:24   #2
E-Penguin
Banana

Variable names should be single characters. Nobody needs more than 26 of them in any program.
Old 20 February 2019, 22:20   #3
Daedalus

I remember in the 8-bit BASIC days, the programming books actually *encouraged* single-letter variable names in order to save RAM. Which of course I explained to my coding lecturer in Uni... while coding compiled programs... In C

Anyway, to answer the OP, I'm afraid the maximum in all versions of Ted seems to be 128 characters. Depending on what you're doing, you could build up your statement over a couple of lines. That's hardly ideal though. AmiBlitz 3 allows 255 characters, and also allows you to join lines together if they are too long to fit, but I think having such lines in your code will cause problems if you want to bring the code back into Blitz 2.1.
Old 21 February 2019, 11:38   #4
MickGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Penguin View Post
Variable names should be single characters. Nobody needs more than 26 of them in any program.
Righty-O!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
I remember in the 8-bit BASIC days, the programming books actually *encouraged* single-letter variable names in order to save RAM. Which of course I explained to my coding lecturer in Uni... while coding compiled programs... In C

Anyway, to answer the OP, I'm afraid the maximum in all versions of Ted seems to be 128 characters. Depending on what you're doing, you could build up your statement over a couple of lines. That's hardly ideal though. AmiBlitz 3 allows 255 characters, and also allows you to join lines together if they are too long to fit, but I think having such lines in your code will cause problems if you want to bring the code back into Blitz 2.1.
Thanks for clarifying! I'll manage, had to ask if it would be possible to increase the row width somehow.