English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 15 March 2011, 05:47   #1
ceaser

Genesis on OS 3.9 and a X-Surf 3cc network card on the A3000

do new routers like my netgear WNR1000v2 have the ability to issue ip's to Genesis? it's using BOOTP to try to get an IP address. i can't figure out how to get it to work. when i had this same card in my A4000 i was manually assigning an IP and it was working, but for some reason I can't get manually assigning to work. I tried on my old router too and also tried hooking the A3000 directly to the cable modem and to this big switch i have too. no luck.

Anyone have a foolproof method of how to get your router to assign a dynamic IP to Genesis on OS 3.9, using a Surf-X 3cc network card?

*note: the drivers for x-surf 3cc are completely correctly installed, so please don't bother posting anything about it maybe being something to do with that.
Old 15 March 2011, 08:55   #2
thomas

Routers do DHCP, not BOOTP and Genesis does not support DHCP, so no, it is not possible to get a dynamic IP address in Genesis.

Please describe "I can't get manually assigning to work" more detailed. What did you do, what happened, what did not happen?
Old 15 March 2011, 09:02   #3
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Is this app any use to work around Genesis' lack of DHCP?

http://aminet.net/package/comm/tcp/dhcp_amitcp

(Actually it is the client from this app with some sort of Genesis setup script)
Old 15 March 2011, 16:37   #4
ceaser

heh yeah i bet this'll do it. except it wants me to have some .lib from "GeekGadgets" and I have to copy certain commands over (according to the install file in dhcp_amitcp). But yeah, this would be really nice. I like having Amiga's on the internet, mostly because I can goto Aminet and grab stuff or OTHER places to grab stuff direct to the Amiga :> - Here's probably the thing I need to go with it: http://aminet.net/package/dev/gg/sh-utils-2.0

& Thomas, it sends a BOOTP request then as I thought and as you said, routers don't handle BOOTP, they handle DHCP. Then also when I pick a bogus IP at random in the range my router is using, that doesn't work either. I think it's just the router is newer. With my old router I could plug in an IP and it would work.

nope guess that package didn't have sh, cp or rm commands on it. only echo. Also, my A4000 is reading this CD that's I'm using to copy all this stuff over, since my Amiga 3000 is not on the internet, but my A3000 doesn't like the Windows formatted CD that I'm using to do that. But point is I need to find a pack with sh, cp and rm commands and I found echo. It says especially you need sh command and all these files go in your Internet/Genesis/bin dir (I've been copying this from Windows to a CD then putting it in my A4000 then writing to floppy since my A3000 won't read the CD)

says you need ixemul.lib too

Last edited by ceaser; 15 March 2011 at 17:35. Reason: that was a bit rough
Old 15 March 2011, 17:36   #5
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

You can get cp, rm and echo here :

http://aminet.net/package/dev/gg/coreutils-m68k-bin

sh from here (albeit a bit old)

http://aminet.net/package/dev/gg/pdksh-bin

ixemul 63.1 (too new?)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/amig....library/63.1/

Last edited by alexh; 15 March 2011 at 17:57.
Old 15 March 2011, 18:50   #6
ceaser

Works fine now. Just needed to put my router IP in the "resolv" section of the config. I was putting it in but you had to hit enter instead of clicking the button that says "add" otherwise it wouldn't save. Now I just need to get a web browser that isn't terrible, and some more memory for my A3000.

oh man this is rough. these LHA's are amazingly packed in. still waiting for the ability to just grab those files i need. good ole amiga :O

they're on my 4000 just chugging away

it'll rock to get that 3000 on the net though with it properly grabbing and IP

I must've done something wrong. For some reason I didn't download that pdksh-bin.lha before.

And for the lib, that LHA is huge too. Should I just take whatever is in the "lib" directory that i unzip to my A4000 hard disk and copy just that to a floppy, then copy those to SYS:Libs? The instructions for the dhcp program say that hostname & DNS servers are important too. He says to get them from "dhclient" but I don't know what that is. Maybe I could get this card to work in my A4000 again. I especially don't get why it didn't work when I hooked it straight to my cable modem. Maybe XSurf 3cc doesn't work right in A3000.

man... i really should've never sold my amiga 500 only to abandon amiga from 1994-2009 :\ I am really not well versed in this stuff

by the way, any clue why my A4000 using IDEFix drivers has no problem reading the files that I copy from a PC, but my A3000 gets read errors and can't read the same disk? It's not the CD-ROM I have on that A3000 either. That CD-ROM reads Amiga formatted CD's just great. And it's a Sony external SCSI CD-ROM originally made for PC

Last edited by ceaser; 15 March 2011 at 23:55. Reason: figured it out