English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 10 September 2008, 11:26   #81
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolafg View Post
Hi Alexh,
would it be possible to install whdload in a workbench disk an run whdload games from a cd ?
Yes, but you don't necessarily need workbench. People have already created their own CD32 discs which have WHDload games on and a special menu which you can select games using the Joypad.

You are limited to games that work with 2Mbytes of RAM.

Of course these discs were created for regular CD32 consoles without the floppy disk extension.
Old 10 September 2008, 17:31   #82
lolafg

Thank you Alexh,
are those cd32 discs the "cd32-100 ;cd32-200 ..." ?
Old 10 September 2008, 17:36   #83
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Yup.
Old 10 September 2008, 17:51   #84
lolafg

Ok thanks !!
Old 11 September 2008, 05:45   #85
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Since upgrading my A1200 I've now got a spare 8mb/FPU expansion card.

How "possible" would it be to make this work in my CD32?

PZ.
Old 11 September 2008, 08:54   #86
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Yes, I have done this in the past. My first design was to try and make an adapter for A1200 cards, although I only ever tried a Hawk 8Meg RAM card.

You'd need to make your own board though, 182-pin MCA to A1200 edge. I've got the pinouts, schematics and logics somewhere...

But the design is fugly, A1200 card sticking out the back of CD32 just like SX1
Old 11 September 2008, 10:27   #87
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

How complicated was it Alex? Requires logic chips aye?

PZ.
Old 11 September 2008, 11:14   #88
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

It was mainly passive. Two layer PCB with vias and a very rare right angle MCA182 pin connector. (Otherwise your 8 Meg card would be sticking up vertically)

I think I needed an 74LS chip to make one signal which doesn't exist on CD32 expansion. Cannot remember the exact details. It was many years ago.

Start by looking at the A1200 expansion connector signals and CD32 expansion connector signals and pairing them. Some pins have same function but different names so a bit of research is required to eliminate last few.
Old 11 September 2008, 11:37   #89
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Figuring that out is waaaaay out of my league man...building it, no, but the rest

Cheers for the info anyway Not sure if I want a card hanging out the back like SX1 anyway, so I'll just deal with 2mb for now.

PZ.
Old 11 September 2008, 13:01   #90
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I had planned to "turn it around" just like the SX32 using two MCA connectors but I decided to scrap it and make my own 4Meg RAM expansion which fitted inside with only 1 MCA connector.

I built the prototype and then the bombshell of the MOQ of 1000 from AdamTech came through.

And I managed to get an SX32 for £55
Old 11 September 2008, 13:09   #91
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
I built the prototype and then the bombshell of the MOQ of 1000 from AdamTech came through.
Huh? (you know I'm retarded )
Old 11 September 2008, 13:37   #92
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

At the time the only place to get the 182-pin MCA (CD32 expansion connectors) was Adamtech and they would only sell to me in quantities of no less than 1000 (at about $5 (£5?) each)
Old 11 September 2008, 13:41   #93
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Ah, MOQ = Minimum Order Quantity!

PZ.
Old 11 September 2008, 23:45   #94
Photon

"IN THE OOOLD DAYS"... we used to unsolder connector and components off used parts. (And live in a hole in the road and have gravel for tea etc :P)

Very unstandard connector? Then not possible I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Like the idea, unfortunately it is not viable due to the cost of the edge connectors

They cost $5 each, you need two per console and they have an MOQ of over 1000. That means you need $5000 investment before you even start building the first prototype.

BTW: The only company selling this connector is Adam-Tech (182-pin MCA connector)

I looked into it a few years ago and you could not come in at a retail price below a second hand SX32 or SX1. (£55-85)

What would be easiest would be to communicate with the UK company Analogic. See how many CD32 Floppy disk drive units they have left. Ask how many they sold and maybe create an add in for that unit? That would just be a PCB.

P.S. No-one wants a battery backed clock! Add RGB out instead.
Old 12 September 2008, 17:40   #95
lolafg

Hi ,
I was thinkink on something , as in the floppy drive from analogic computers , there is a clockport , would it be possible to plug an usb controler (subway...) ?
If it were possible , an hd could be plug no ?
Old 15 September 2008, 12:28   #96
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

No. Not without new hardware.
Old 15 September 2008, 17:05   #97
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
I think Alexh is stating: not without an accelerator! The EC020 is not "strong" enough to push an USB controller.

BTW: if you have the Subway attached, from what boot device you run the stack (Poseidon) at first to mount the HD?
Old 15 September 2008, 17:57   #98
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkauer View Post
I think Alexh is stating: not without an accelerator!
Not what I was trying to say.

It is not possible to connect a subway or a HDD directly to a CD32fwsi (the analogic CD32 floppy thingy) without an extra bit of hardware that has yet to be created (and probably never will be)
Old 17 September 2008, 03:44   #99
DarkSky

Hello everyone, love the post.
For years I have been thinking of this same exact thing. Creating a brand new and improved expansion for the CD32. I had thought of adding a CF adapter to my SX-1.. which I think is definitely the right way to go for a new expansion! I think this is a very progessive post and you guys are hitting a lot of the right points.
I'm very excited to see others talking about this. For awhile I thought I was the only one.

I love the idea of Expanding the CD32 with just enough of the right things, sounds like a solid plan. I thought about adding a cardbus slot, It's small, adapts to many peripherals and accessories. This single slot could be used for countless additions.

Adding a new processor: I like the idea if it's possible, the more processing power available is always beneficial and could lead to users being able to install alternative operating systems if one chose, such as Linux. Esp. if it's something in the Power PC department.

Perhaps adding an Ethernet port for internet and network connections. I think this would be very useful.

I do find ports for keyboard and mouse very redundant like most of you.

Adding a port for an external floppy drive is a good idea, esp. if you want to transfer games from your old disks. However, most games and software these days can be found online and written to the CF. So I can see that a port for any external drive is just an added perk and not following the goal of adding whats needed to keep costs down.
So essentially it's not needed.

Graphics card port: If this can be added, in any form, would truly increase the function of an A1200, perhaps adding the A1200's expansion slot to the CD32.
I was thinking the CD32 could possibly make a great DVD player is the capability was added, but I think I'm stretching it, just a bit, :P

Another thought I had was to add enough power to the CD32 to drive a webcam. Which I feel is far more of a possibility.

Early last year, or perhaps before that. I contacted Jens Schönfeld of Individual Computers about creating a new expansion with an ethernet port added to allow the CD32 to access the net. I have him a good reason why and how many Cd32 owners are still out there hungry to use their machines. At first he showed no interest at all saying my "ideas" sounded more like a wish list, lol. Put off by that comment I sent a rebuttal stating "these are indeed 'Ideas', not hardware 'designs'." He saw my point, but we left it at that. Pre-knowing he most likely receives lots of "can you build this" requests, I purposely let him know my knowledge of that. Though he may have over looked it. Months to almost a year later, emailing him again about it using a different email. He said he had planned to work on an ethernet interface for the CD32, not for internet use but for networking between other Amigas. He felt the CD32 would not be powerful enough for internet browsing with todays websites. Not sure if that is right, but i thought it would be interesting to pass on his comment. I worked as a web designer in Manhattan so I know how some sites can use up resources, but I still feel the CD32 can access websites with no serious issue other than slow access if the drivers are not implemented correctly.
I don't think he has enough interest in it to really produce it however. But I thought you guys may want to hear it.

I think keeping the expansion small is very smart. The CF card, w/ PCMCIA cardbus slot alone would be amazing. But the addition of a stronger processor and more RAM would be amazing.

Last edited by DarkSky; 17 September 2008 at 08:41.

Old 17 September 2008, 11:09   #100
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSky View Post
I thought about adding a cardbus slot, It's small, adapts to many peripherals and accessories. This single slot could be used for countless additions.
Cardbus is difficult. It is PCI and so requires a PCI->Amiga bridge like the Mediator, G-Rex and Prometheus plus countless drivers and software.

Quote:
Adding a new processor
Possible, but not practical due to availability. Perhaps if we could find a regular supply of low cost 060 processors it might become more realistic.

Quote:
Perhaps adding an Ethernet port for internet and network connections. I think this would be very useful.
Internet on CD32 would be a waste of time. File transfer over the network is a benefit but CD32 has an optical drive. It would be quicker to burn a CD than use ethernet for most things. Plus an external CF card slot would be cheaper, easier and faster too.

Quote:
I can see that a port for any external drive is [snip] essentially not needed.
Yup.

Quote:
Graphics card port: If this can be added, in any form, would truly increase the function of an A1200
Like cardbus & CPU it is possible but not really practical. The CD32 is physically not capable of taking full size gfx cards. You'd need either need a supply of gfx chips (ones which already have Amiga drivers) to become part of your design (not going to happen) or perhaps add a laptop MiniPCI slot?

Seriously though... too expensive.

Quote:
perhaps adding the A1200's expansion slot to the CD32.
And where would these cards go? The advantage of the CD32 is it's form factor, last thing you'd want would be a whopping big box sticking out the back!

Quote:
I was thinking the CD32 could possibly make a great DVD player is the capability was added, but I think I'm stretching it, just a bit, :P
You're stretching it a bit. The CD32's drive mechanism is not IDE, it's a custom design so you'd have to add an external DVD drive and then you'd need a hardware MPEG decoder as the CPU just would not be powerful enough. With DVD players costing £9.99 in supermarkets, this is not practical.

Quote:
Another thought I had was to add enough power to the CD32 to drive a webcam. Which I feel is far more of a possibility.
WTF for?

Quote:
I contacted Jens Schönfeld of Individual Computers. At first he showed no interest at all saying my "ideas" sounded more like a wish list, lol.
He'd be right.

Quote:
He said he had planned to work on an ethernet interface for the CD32, not for internet use but for networking between other Amigas.
WTF for? CD32 has a serial port for networking between other Amiga's and it has an optical drive for transferring files from the PC!

Quote:
He felt the CD32 would not be powerful enough for internet browsing with todays websites. Not sure if that is right
He is.

Here is a list of features we've covered and my opinion on their practicality:

RAM = YES
HDD / CF = YES
Analog 15KHz RGB = Yes
PCMCIA / PC-Card = Maybe / Yes
Floppy disk port = Maybe / Yes
CPU = Maybe / No
Legacy ports = Maybe / No
Cardbus = No
GFX card = No
Ethernet = No