English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 02 August 2004, 17:10   #1
doublescotch

writing floppy discs

i have an old amiga running half our accounts package, doing well so far but i am a little worried now about its reliablity therefore i am trying the amiga emulator software. The software on the amiga is home made and been running for years without trouble. The amiga writes the data to be read by the other half of the software on a pc, is there any way of getting the emulator to write a floppy that could be read conventionally using the above procedure?

Old 03 August 2004, 15:08   #2
D-Dan
AMD powered UAE

If you have WinUAE running on the same PC that you need to access the data from, instead of writing to a floppy, setup a PC directory as a hardfile and write the data to that. The PC side will be able to access the data directly, then.
Old 05 August 2004, 13:26   #3
doublescotch

hi thanks for the reply but i am unable to rewrite the accounts program therefore i have to follow the above procedure, the program demands to write the data to df0. any other ideas.

Cheers

Old 05 August 2004, 14:35   #4
thomas

Well, you could fool the program by inserting the following two lines at the beginning of the startup-sequence of your boot disk:

assign df0: dismount
assign df0: work:

where work: points to the directory mentioned by D-Dan.

BTW, how did you make the PC able to read the floppy disk ? A standard PC cannot read Amiga floppy disks. So probably it does not write to DF0 but to PC0 or MS0 or something like that (a device cappable of writing PC floppies).
Old 05 August 2004, 16:07   #5
doublescotch

As you probably guessed i did not write the programs in question but now you say it it does look like the program writes to pc0 as there is a drawer? called wbstartup with an icon called pc0.

I have managed to save to an adf and then convert the file within os3.x on the amiga forever gui this will then allow the writing of a pc disc that is readable by the second part of the software, this is too complicated for our normal use, especially as there are two flags written on the floppy - "enabled" and "done"

Cheers

Old 05 August 2004, 19:57   #6
thomas

Still you can remove PC0 from WBStartup und do assign pc0: work: instead.
Old 06 August 2004, 18:22   #7
doublescotch

so far so good - but how ????

Old 06 August 2004, 19:49   #8
D-Dan
AMD powered UAE

On the amiga, open a shell and type:-

Assign PC0: Dismount
Assign PC0: WinDir: (or whatever the "shared" windows/amiga directory is called)

Job done

To make it more permanent, go to Devs: DosDrivers and move PC0: to Devs:Storage

Then add the 2nd line above to user-startup
Old 10 August 2004, 18:44   #9
doublescotch

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, unfortunately i have to get the amiga side to write to a tru floppy at some stage, the second part of the system the pc side is written so that it expects a floppy to read from.

Progress has been made in other directions with regard to my system thanks to hints from yourselves cheers so far.

Any further ideas ??

Old 11 August 2004, 01:46   #10
D-Dan
AMD powered UAE

Get something like Floppy Image ( http://www.rundegren.com/software/floppyimage/ ) and write the data for that from the Amiga output.

Job done )
Old 13 August 2004, 10:49   #11
doublescotch

hi its me again floppy image didnt do the job as i needed it but this worked:-
assign PC0 : DH3:
in the amiga forever gui let the pc's floppy disc drive be a hard directory labeled DH3 and make sure that a floppy disc is in the drive, the system then writes to a floppy as per the original amiga

i dont know whether this should work, but as it does i'm not arguing with it.

My last problem is in printing out the details from the emulator this is the procedurte i have to follow :

action the accounts program to print, then f12 and re-start the emulator ( do not quit as the printjob is then deleted from the queue) then f12 and then quit the print then gets the boost it needs to print. - the printer is networked and a hp laserjet.

Again this works but is a bit cumbersome.

Well done to all helpers thanks

Old 13 August 2004, 11:06   #12
thomas

Quote:
assign PC0 : DH3:
This was exactly what D-Dan and I tried to tell you.

Quote:
make sure that a floppy disc is in the drive
This shouldn't be needed except if you let DH3 point to A:\, but why use floppy disks if you have a hard drive ?

Quote:
My last problem is in printing out the details
Printing does not work correctly on WinXP. Try AmigaForever's printer spooler solution. It prints into a file on AmigaDOS and copies the file to LPT on MS-DOS.