English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 22 April 2019, 05:50   #1
leonk

CD32 Accelerator reliability ..

I’ve now setup 4 TF328 for friends and wanted to talk about the overall reliability.

Don’t get me wrong. The TF328 makes the CD32 a usable computer and I’m all for it. But the overall reliability of the slot connector is just trash. I’ve used a ton of 99% isopropyl to clean with qtips (keep cleaning till no longer black)

Put it all together and it works for a day or 2. Then it stops. Most common symptoms is the CF LED is solid and system frozen.

I reseat the accelerator and it’s good again. for a day or so.

Does anyone have a good permanent solution to solve these problems?? I got so fed up I ended purchasing an A500 with 68030 accelerator and I find the CPU socket accelerators to just be a lot more reliable.
Old 22 April 2019, 18:00   #2
jlin_au

Check and clean the edge connector on both the cd32 side as well as the TF328 side.

If they are made with certain differing materials then an electrochemical reaction between the differing metal contacts may be the cause of the issue. Many higher end electronic devices use gold plated contacts on at least one side to avoid this issue.

If the edge connector pads on the PCB are soldered and dull rather than shiny solder then you may want to use a desoldering wick to remove the old solder before resoldering them with a thin layer of fresh solder and fresh flux (to slow oxidation of the soldered surface).

Avoid soldering shiny or dull plated metal contacts; instead just clean these carefully with isopropyl alchol and then apply electrical contact cleaner/protector.
Old 22 April 2019, 19:15   #3
Glen M

Haven't had a problem. My tf328 was in the machi e constant for well over a year and it never failed to boot. The TF330 in it now also is rock solid.

Maybe try cleaning inside slot on the riser card too. Perhaps if the cd32 expansion was dirty that dirt has transferring I side the riser card.
Old 22 April 2019, 22:35   #4
xubidoo

same here, no problems with either the TF328 or 330.
I did buy a longer IDE cable tho so i could have easy access to the CF card , as personally i don't think removing the card and putting it back in so many times can be good for the connector or the riser, as i often hook my cf up to the pc to update stuff,so its in and out quite often

Old 30 April 2019, 19:35   #5
Twiggy
\m/

My TF328 seems to have suddenly died. Cleaning the connectors hasn't really done anything. Quite mysterious.