English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 01 March 2019, 01:50   #1
goodolvic

The beginner of all beginners

Hi everyone! I'm excited to find a community for the Amiga series. I'm American and grew up as a console player, so computers were always a foreign object to me, especially those of the non-Windows variety.

I found this place because I have a... particular interest in Simpsons video games (happy to see your avatar selection had an option for me!) I was only collecting American releases for more than fifteen years, but I recently decided to expand my collection to ports released in other regions. For Amiga, this means I just bought the following games:

Bart vs. the Space Mutants
Bart vs. the World
Krusty's Fun House

I believe that's all of them (). The Amiga 500 Plus is the most advanced model that supports all three games according to the boxes for each, so I'm going to look into getting one. No idea what that means yet in terms of all the hardware I need to buy, but I'm excited to dig into it. I'll also be travelling to London in April and may see if there are shops where one can still find them.

The other wrinkle in this endeavor is that I really want to capture HD video of full playthroughs on original hardware. I've seen some videos that make it sound like I'd need a SCART-to-HDMI converter so... I gotta get that too. Maybe when I'm in London?

Anyway, just thought I'd say hi! Welcome any advice you may have for a newb to Amiga hardware.

Old 01 March 2019, 01:55   #2
Hewitson

Hi goodolvic, welcome to EAB! Unfortuntately I think you'll be pretty disappointed with the Simpsons games on the Amiga.
Old 01 March 2019, 02:01   #3
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Hi goodolvic, welcome to EAB! Unfortuntately I think you'll be pretty disappointed with the Simpsons games on the Amiga.
Don't have a cow man!
Old 01 March 2019, 02:02   #4
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
Don't have a cow man!
Old 01 March 2019, 02:04   #5
goodolvic

Thanks!

And oh yes, as a Simpsons game collector I've made peace with the less than stellar gameplay of some of the games. It is sometimes the collector's burden.

Old 01 March 2019, 08:48   #6
Solo Kazuki

There is also Russian fan-game

http://hol.abime.net/5970
Old 01 March 2019, 19:26   #7
amiman99

There is also cool Amiga Demo disk featuring Bart.
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 04 March 2019, 20:20   #8
AmigaHope

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodolvic View Post
Hi everyone! I'm excited to find a community for the Amiga series. I'm American and grew up as a console player, so computers were always a foreign object to me, especially those of the non-Windows variety.

I found this place because I have a... particular interest in Simpsons video games (happy to see your avatar selection had an option for me!) I was only collecting American releases for more than fifteen years, but I recently decided to expand my collection to ports released in other regions. For Amiga, this means I just bought the following games:

Bart vs. the Space Mutants
Bart vs. the World
Krusty's Fun House

I believe that's all of them (). The Amiga 500 Plus is the most advanced model that supports all three games according to the boxes for each, so I'm going to look into getting one. No idea what that means yet in terms of all the hardware I need to buy, but I'm excited to dig into it. I'll also be travelling to London in April and may see if there are shops where one can still find them.

The other wrinkle in this endeavor is that I really want to capture HD video of full playthroughs on original hardware. I've seen some videos that make it sound like I'd need a SCART-to-HDMI converter so... I gotta get that too. Maybe when I'm in London?

Anyway, just thought I'd say hi! Welcome any advice you may have for a newb to Amiga hardware.
Hey!

You don't need an A500+ for these, they should work on a plain jane A500 as long as it has 1M of RAM. You don't need to buy a European/PAL Amiga either -- an American NTSC Amiga can switch to 50Hz output provided it has an ECS Agnus (newer A2000s and A500s came with one, as did the A600 -- and all AGA Amigas can do 50Hz).

Honestly the best machine for you, given the limited amount of stuff you want to run, is probably an A600 with an A601 RAM card. You can plug a cheap CF/SDcard flash card adapter into it for storage, and the whole device is physically way smaller than the A500 and can easily fit in a small backpack. The main downside is lack of a numeric keypad but I don't think any of the Simpsons games require it.

If you're interested in doing more retro Amiga stuff, an A1200 with RAM expansion is best as it can easily install patched versions of games both old and new to the flash card.

A plain A500, provided it has an ECS Agnus, will work fine for simple booting from floppy though if that's all you're after.

For capturing video you'll need an RGB cable that connects to whatever capture device you're using, and that device needs to support 15Khz video. For retro gaming the most popular scan converters are the OSSC and the FrameMeister. Alternatively you can just use the composite output on the A600 and just capture with whatever you were using for your SNES, although your capture device may not support 50Hz (but I think these games might actually run fine at 60Hz?)

Most Amiga games are European and natively-developed European Amiga games all work best at 50Hz, but some console ports (like these games are) actually wound up developed from observing a 60Hz Genesis game played on a 50Hz Megadrive so sometimes the Amiga port actually plays more faithfully at 60Hz. It's a weird situation.

I'm not too far from you so let me know if you need help. =)

Last edited by AmigaHope; 04 March 2019 at 20:41.