English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 15 February 2012, 00:24   #21
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
I did do a post along time ago explaining how to do it. However I cant find it.
Here you go, FOL.
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=410679&postcount=18
Old 15 February 2012, 00:32   #22
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Ok, but I already have atapi.device there, and doesn't work with this drives. I do believe I have to make something like the soldering I'm waiting to try.
Old 15 February 2012, 00:55   #23
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
Ok, but I already have atapi.device there, and doesn't work with this drives. I do believe I have to make something like the soldering I'm waiting to try.
Does your old drive work with the atapi.device fine and find device sees it?

Last edited by prowler; 15 February 2012 at 23:18. Reason: Swapped replies around.
Old 15 February 2012, 01:35   #24
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Does your old drive work with the atapi.device fine and find device sees it?
Yes, it's working fine (i've tried it again). I need to try this soldering trick...

Edit: And remember those that are helping or can help that I'm not just getting running a dvd drive. I'm doing it with the slimmer ones; 9.5mm height.

Last edited by prowler; 15 February 2012 at 23:18. Reason: Fixed quote.
Old 15 February 2012, 11:56   #25
cpiac64

try if is recognised slave

Quote:
The small one to the rear of the dvd? Ok I'll try with it then. Lucky I haven't fried anything. I will post a photo before connecting it.

Edit: Is this ok? (the other is desoldered now).

Old 15 February 2012, 13:51   #26
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I've tried in both ports and it was showing the insert disk screen .

I've already changed (cutted the connector and soldered the cables) the idefix cables now for the thicker dvd, as it seems this drives won't work (I've updated my thread too http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=58868&page=2 ). The thick dvd keeps working right with another jae.

Can it be that this models just don't work with Idefix? Does Idefix detects all Atapi drives?

Last edited by Retrofan; 16 February 2012 at 00:13.
Old 15 February 2012, 14:18   #27
cpiac64

can you test on pc with windows or linux?
Old 15 February 2012, 14:51   #28
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

No, I can't, but they are two drives, so one has to work. They have light when I turn on the Amiga, and they make the normal noise. The eject button works too, but they don't show any dvd if I put one inside (well, this just tried with one of them).

I'm remembering time ago a friend had problems with some dvd drive too:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauri.lotvonen View Post
Yes, it should be a IDE/ATAPI interface drive :

http://www.teac.com/DSPD/support/sl_...e_overview.htm
The drive itself is from an 4 year old laptop that I have, and works under XP perfectly. I remember reading somewhere that TEAC drives are not that compatible with Buffered IDE Interface we are using, but that I'll find out when the other drives arrive at my door ...
/Lauri
Taken from this thread about the best internal Dvd ever made http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthre...+1200+internal

Last edited by Retrofan; 15 February 2012 at 15:04.
Old 15 February 2012, 15:47   #29
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
No, I can't, but they are two drives, so one has to work. They have light when I turn on the Amiga, and they make the normal noise. The eject button works too.
Does it make the normal "Ive read a disc noise". You can normally tell if its read the disc ok, by the noise it makes, while focussing on the disc.
Old 15 February 2012, 17:54   #30
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
... and they make the normal noise
They seem to be perfect. Just Idefix doesn't show them. Or it's a master/slave question or Idefix doesn't work with all the drives, and I would like to know what makes mines different.

Edit:
I've read and it can be a power isue. I have to try disconnecting a couple of things.
I could try too with this jae that seems to have jumpers http://www.ebay.es/itm/Slim-DVD-auf-...item45f9ae2149

Last edited by Retrofan; 15 February 2012 at 18:43.
Old 15 February 2012, 18:07   #31
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
They seem to be perfect. Just Idefix doesn't show them. Or it's a master/slave question or Idefix doesn't work with all the drives, and I would like to know what makes mines different.
I have this;

http://www.netcomdirect.com/pamacw24sllo.html
Panasonic / Matsushita CW-8123-B

Slot loading drive. Im also using the same JIDE board as you.
Old 15 February 2012, 19:55   #32
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I need a working one with a height of 9.5mm (and tray system). Yours is 12.7, like my working one.
Another thing I've got to try (reading forums) is to install again Idefix. EDIT: Uninstalled, installed again and nothing. What I only can try now is a jae with jumpers.

EDIT: Just to make this thread worthwhile; if you want a compatible slimmer (9.5mm height), SLOT dvd drive, you can use this: GWA-4080 for Apple. I've got it and it works (I've tried it now). Now I've got to find one with tray system and that height.
Apart of that really the problem is in the jae adaptor, as it will keep exactly where the idefix is, so an slimmer drive, although good, will have the same problem.

This is the jae I'm going to use then, instead of the other: http://www.ebay.es/itm/3x-Slimline-C...item43a812f941

Just my conclusion about this drives is the one that Thomas told me in a PM:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas
... I can imagine that there are drives which are not compatible with the Amiga's old IDE port.

Last edited by Retrofan; 18 February 2012 at 21:37.
Old 21 February 2012, 10:52   #33
cpiac64

i verified with ujda150 cd-rom, is ok but with hp gma-4082n dvd-rw not recognised from atapi device
Old 21 February 2012, 10:59   #34
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Thanks. I really think that if someone finds (I'm not going to buy more just to try them) a 9.5mm DVD drive tray system that works should tell so everybody can know about it.

Last edited by Retrofan; 21 February 2012 at 13:11.
Old 21 February 2012, 11:54   #35
cpiac64

search update of the firm for your dvd
Old 21 February 2012, 13:05   #36
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
EDIT: Just to make this thread worthwhile; if you want a compatible slimmer (9.5mm height), SLOT dvd drive, you can use this: GWA-4080 for Apple. I've got it and it works (I've tried it now). Now I've got to find one with tray system and that height.
Apart of that really the problem is in the jae adaptor, as it will keep exactly where the idefix is, so an slimmer drive, although good, will have the same problem.
Better angle is the key. I made the same mistake, but to get around it, I filed the express board shape in the jae adapter, so it sat on the board nice, .
Old 21 February 2012, 14:07   #37
utri007
mä vaan

I tried five different models before I found one that worked.

I tried everyone of them on my PC, 2 master, rest of them was master/cable select.

I've also notice weird diffenrence between amiga mobo revisions, 2b accepts only about 15cm long cable and with 1d4 don't have any problems even if cable is 50cm
Old 23 February 2012, 10:13   #38
jcaser1948

Hi friends
I've got this dvd drive HP nx8220 slim 9.5mm IDE DVDRW DVD burner player CD writer

connected to an Amiga 1200 system 3.9 BoniBonged
I have a 4xEide
I have connected in the primary channel of the 4xEide_buffer a CF card ,which is recognize as primary Master ATA CF Card and works perfectly
The DVD drive is connected to the secondary channel of the 4xEide_buffer and is recognized as:
Secondary Slave ATAPI HL-DT-St DVDRAM GSA-Union
The HL_DT drive is always recognized as slave, independent of the position in the cable , so it is not possible to make a cable select and so making it Master or Slave
If I make an Info it says “CD0 Not a DOS Disk”
and I receive in the Workbench a shaddy CD with the caption
“CD0 Uninitialized”
Has anyone a suggestion?

Old 23 February 2012, 12:05   #39
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcaser1948 View Post
Hi friends
I've got this dvd drive HP nx8220 slim 9.5mm IDE DVDRW DVD burner player CD writer.

connected to an Amiga 1200 system 3.9 BoniBonged
I have a 4xEide
I have connected in the primary channel of the 4xEide_buffer a CF card ,which is recognize as primary Master ATA CF Card and works perfectly
The DVD drive is connected to the secondary channel of the 4xEide_buffer and is recognized as:
Secondary Slave ATAPI HL-DT-St DVDRAM GSA-Union
The HL_DT drive is always recognized as slave, independent of the position in the cable , so it is not possible to make a cable select and so making it Master or Slave
If I make an Info it says “CD0 Not a DOS Disk”
and I receive in the Workbench a shaddy CD with the caption
“CD0 Uninitialized”
Has anyone a suggestion?
Try a music disc.
Old 23 February 2012, 12:20   #40
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I do think you can connect then the Dvd to the primary channel to try too. I'm remembering Thomas commented about that, if one is master and the other slave. And please comment if it works right, as that is the one I'm searching. You could try with the Idefix program too http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/IDEfix97.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
You can. It's right that the 44pin and the first 40pin header share the first channel. But the adapter is designed so that you should be able to connect the master to the 44pin and the slave to the 40pin connector. The only thing you may not do is to connect master/slave to each header (i.e. three or four devices on the primary channel).
EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcaser1948 View Post
I've got this dvd drive HP nx8220 slim 9.5mm IDE DVDRW DVD burner player CD writerconnected to an Amiga 1200 system 3.9 BoniBonged
I like that expression

Last edited by Retrofan; 23 February 2012 at 15:46.