English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 30 May 2008, 23:36   #1
Andy 01

Installing WHD Packs

Hi guys, sorry if this is the wrong section

I now have AmigaSYS4 running on a WinUAE setup.
I have down loaded the WHD packs, in the A to Z format. Whats the best way to get these into the UAE setup ?
All I can see at the moment is to un-zip the files in windows, and drag in one at a time, but I'm sure their must be an easier way ?
Old 31 May 2008, 00:22   #2
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy 01 View Post
Hi guys, sorry if this is the wrong section

I now have AmigaSYS4 running on a WinUAE setup.
I have down loaded the WHD packs, in the A to Z format. Whats the best way to get these into the UAE setup ?
All I can see at the moment is to un-zip the files in windows, and drag in one at a time, but I'm sure their must be an easier way ?
I wouldnt unzip them in windows, cause it will mess up some files.

I normally, put the zips in a folder, then mount that folder as a HD (e.g. DH1 or 2), then extract them from within Workbench (or Amiga Sys).
Old 31 May 2008, 03:55   #3
exoticaga

@Andy01 - I'm sure i read how you do this on the KG site or similar sometime ago, or try wiki.

@Fol - Wasn't that because of the y2k bug messing with zip files. I'm sure this is fixed now. I see no problems unzipping into an xp os. Or is there still some bug that i've not seen yet.
Old 31 May 2008, 14:17   #4
lostfriend
Zone Friend

Windows is not case sensitiv, some WHD packs have files with the same names but different cases, like readme and Readme, which are 2 different files. Unpacking on windows will overwrite one of them.
Old 31 May 2008, 14:22   #5
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by exoticaga View Post
@Andy01 - I'm sure i read how you do this on the KG site or similar sometime ago, or try wiki.

@Fol - Wasn't that because of the y2k bug messing with zip files. I'm sure this is fixed now. I see no problems unzipping into an xp os. Or is there still some bug that i've not seen yet.
Nothing to do with Y2K bug, Windows doesnt know how to handle some of the file and this causes it to say some files are corrupt.

Get all the KG WHDLoad packs and extract them all in windows, you will see what im talking about then. If you extract them under Workbench you dont get such problems.
Old 31 May 2008, 14:59   #6
Andy 01

Thanks as always guys, but its how to extract under Sys4 thats causing me the concern. Been Googling for a guide, but had no luck. Other stuff, I have done by dragging into a windowed emulator, but was looking to learn the correct way due to the shear number of files involved.
Old 31 May 2008, 15:06   #7
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

If AmigaSYS has dopus then use that. Should be pretty straight forward!
Old 31 May 2008, 16:06   #8
Anemos
70X7

clean works with D-opus ,
select on one side the directory to will go the files ,on other side select the zip,and press (Arc Ext).
i love DirectoryOpus ..
Old 31 May 2008, 17:20   #9
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy 01 View Post
Thanks as always guys, but its how to extract under Sys4 thats causing me the concern. Been Googling for a guide, but had no luck. Other stuff, I have done by dragging into a windowed emulator, but was looking to learn the correct way due to the shear number of files involved.

As both KG and Anemos, have said, D-OPUS for the win, . You can always use JIT (in WINUAE options) to make it go faster. Took about 20 to 30 mins on my system to extract all A to Z of KG's WHDLoad packs.
Old 04 June 2008, 14:56   #10
Andy 01

Just to update and close the thread, using the file manager in OS4, I only seemed to be able to extract one folder at a time, which was going to take forever !
Using the file manager in classic WB, I could select all and extract a complete letter group in one go. I mounted a folder to Classic WB, extracted, and then re-mounted the folder to SYS4.
Job done.

Thanks guys.
Old 05 June 2008, 00:45   #11
exoticaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Nothing to do with Y2K bug, Windows doesnt know how to handle some of the file and this causes it to say some files are corrupt.
FOL or anyone have you such a packed zip file i can test here, or a link to one.

I have seen characters that are ok on windows, but unable to intergrate with. Such as >Read Me, windows rejects the > character. But doesn't corrupt the file, it just refuses it. The only time i've needed to use winuae for unpacking, this one read me file.

I'm interested to see what your zip files that corrupt act like, and which windows unpacker works best with it, if any.
Old 05 June 2008, 00:52   #12
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by exoticaga View Post
FOL or anyone have you such a packed zip file i can test here, or a link to one.

I'm interested to see what your zip files that corrupt act like, and which windows unpacker works best with it, if any.
Taken from this thread: Best way to transfer/unzip WHDload packs to ClassicWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Unpack some of these games with the Total Commander, tell me what's happen when you try to start them.

Batman: The Movie
Battlestorm (OCS/ECS & CDTV)
Mystical
Odyssey
OsWALD Of The Ice Floes
Purple Saturn Day
Rage (CAD Software)
Rage V2
Sorefist
Super Streetfighter 2 Turbo (AGA & CD32)
Ultima V