English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 17 February 2016, 02:56   #1
intric8
AmigaLover

A1200 getting online, but not

Hi Everyone,

Wanted to see if anyone might have any ideas. Some quick history, if this helps:

I installed the EasyNet Pro wireless PCMCIA card from AmigaNet today. No problem. When I went to install the card driver off the floppy disk they sent me, I got a "no installer" error. I hunted it down and found the missing file on Aminet, got it in the right place and re-installed the driver.

Worked with no problems and I was able to config the driver.

Next, EasyNet Pro on the CD... My Amiga does not have a CD-ROM (duh) so I moved the giant (12MB) files over from a PC/null-modem cable. Two hours later, I was able to launch the program and set it up.

I proceeded to do everything required: SSID (which it scanned and found), password, gateway mask, etc.

Next, I installed AWeb for web browsing, as well as the the GUI necessary.

I go to EasyNet and launch - after several minutes, it tells me I am indeed connected! A timer of how long I'm online begins (which probably mattered back in the dial-up days).

But when I try and connect to a site, any site, after a long wait I simply get the tired old message that it failed to resolve the host (i.e. it couldn't connect to the site requested) no matter which one I try.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

[EDIT]
I also went into the router settings and manually added the Amiga's MAC address, which I captured during the card's driver installation. And, I made sure the amiga's IP address was set within the allowed range for an open IP.

Last edited by intric8; 17 February 2016 at 03:06. Reason: additional info since original posting
Old 17 February 2016, 05:23   #2
Sandro
Banned

try connecting to internet using Miami deluxe or Miami 3.x instead genesis
Old 17 February 2016, 08:36   #3
jPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by intric8 View Post
But when I try and connect to a site, any site, after a long wait I simply get the tired old message that it failed to resolve the host (i.e. it couldn't connect to the site requested) no matter which one I try.
It usually means that you don't have correct nameserver settings. Try if you can ping with numerical addresses, type from the shell for example: ping 8.8.8.8
If you get replies with ms values, the connection is working except the nameserver part. And if the "ping www.google.com" doesn't work, it confirms it for sure.

If that seems to be the case, try finding nameserver settings from the Easynet settings (I have no experience of it, so I can't say the exact location). You could also look the settings from amitcp:db/ directory. It might be for example in the netdb-myhost file.

When you find the correct setting, set it for example to your router address.

EDIT: seems that nameserver settings are there on the DNS settings: http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...asynetpro1.jpg
Set your router's IP address to the Primary DNS (or you could use that public 8.8.8.8 nameserver too).

And if you can't ping 8.8.8.8 in the first place, ping your router's ip address instead. If even that doesn't work, then you aren't connected properly yet, no matter if the timer goes on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandro View Post
try connecting to internet using Miami deluxe or Miami 3.x instead genesis
That isn't a good advice at this point First, he wasn't using Genesis, and secondly, Genesis would be perfectly fine option to use anyway.

Last edited by jPV; 17 February 2016 at 08:48.
Old 17 February 2016, 08:39   #4
checksum

Sounds like no dns server was configured, try connecting via IP address first to test if that works then look to configure a dns server manually. Google public DNS servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
Old 17 February 2016, 16:53   #5
intric8
AmigaLover

I had configured my DNS server settings. I gathered them by booting up my old Win XP PC, and using ipconfig/all. In the Command Prompt shell I was told it was 75.75.75.75 and 75.75.76.76, which I put in the EasyNet software. I later confirmed these settings when I logged into my router.

To be honest, the only field I was absolutely unsure about was the "Domain Name" field. There, the software has a way of recommending popular ISPs in the US and UK. Either way, it seemed a bit sketch and I wasn't sure why it even mattered from a connection standpoint.

From that point, though, I wasn't even sure how to determine the "official" domain name my ISP uses. I'm a Comcast customer, and the suggestion was comcast.net (which is what I put in there). But I have no idea if that's really what it needs.

I'll try the Google Public domains, though. FWIW, I did use a Ping function previously, and it successfully pinged 10 times. Let me try and collect more information. Thanks for the help!

Last edited by intric8; 17 February 2016 at 17:17.
Old 18 February 2016, 00:25   #6
intric8
AmigaLover

A little more (weird) info:

When I look at the "about" info for the setup, it shows everything I've entered perfectly. However, there is a Warning "No DNS" which is bizarre, because the DNSs that I've entered are precisely what all my other machines/devices use, and even the router says the same.

So I'm baffled as to why the AmigaKit's EasyNet card can't see them. I've found a script that will reset the card on reboot (maybe it has some old settings somewhere than need to be cleaned out) - will try that next I suppose. Grasping at straws.

Edit: I actually think that warning I saw had to do with the fact that no Tertiary DNS had been entered (which is optional anyway). DNS 1 and 2 have both been entered to no avail. How frustrating...

Last edited by intric8; 18 February 2016 at 00:53. Reason: update
Old 18 February 2016, 00:34   #7
Sir_Lucas

What WIFI card have you got? Is it Orinoco Gold?

Do you have WirelessManager installed in your user-startup?
Old 18 February 2016, 05:02   #8
intric8
AmigaLover

Hi Sir_Lucas,

I'm using the EasyNet PCMCIA card from AmigaKit.

I can't help but wonder if it is because this card/software doesn't (currently) allow for automatic DHCP.

> Do you have WirelessManager installed in your user-startup?

Um, I don't know? You mean the editing of the WB startup sequence? When I look in there I feel like I'm walking on eggshells. I don't think I have any mention of it anywhere in there.

Last edited by intric8; 18 February 2016 at 05:03. Reason: update to question
Old 18 February 2016, 07:49   #9
Zooup1972

I had all sorts of weirdness setting this thing up!
Eventually I changed the security settings on the router to wep
And changed the passcode and ran easynet config again and it finally worked!!
But wasn't happy lowering security and ended up buying easynet wired card and plugged this in to one my extenders..
Old 18 February 2016, 12:08   #10
jPV

If the ping to numerical IP addresses works, it's just some simple setting. Don't go mess with WirelessManager or security settings or anything! You likely just break things more in that case.

1) The most important thing here is now, can you ping your router with numerical address still (the connection is working)?

2) The next thing to check if you can ping to some outside numerical address like 8.8.8.8 (you have the correct gateway setting)?

3) If those two works, can you ping name addresses like www.google.com (your DNS settings are correct)?

BTW. do you happen to have that 3rd DNS option enabled even though it's empty? And that domain name isn't that important setting...
Old 18 February 2016, 13:04   #11
voyager_1701e

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Wanted to see if anyone might have any ideas. Some quick history, if this helps:

I installed the EasyNet Pro wireless PCMCIA card from AmigaNet today. No problem. When I went to install the card driver off the floppy disk they sent me, I got a "no installer" error. I hunted it down and found the missing file on Aminet, got it in the right place and re-installed the driver.

Worked with no problems and I was able to config the driver.

Next, EasyNet Pro on the CD... My Amiga does not have a CD-ROM (duh) so I moved the giant (12MB) files over from a PC/null-modem cable. Two hours later, I was able to launch the program and set it up.

I proceeded to do everything required: SSID (which it scanned and found), password, gateway mask, etc.

Next, I installed AWeb for web browsing, as well as the the GUI necessary.

I go to EasyNet and launch - after several minutes, it tells me I am indeed connected! A timer of how long I'm online begins (which probably mattered back in the dial-up days).

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

[EDIT]
I also went into the router settings and manually added the Amiga's MAC address, which I captured during the card's driver installation. And, I made sure the amiga's IP address was set within the allowed range for an open IP.
Not sure if this will help....
I was setting up my 4000 Ethernet yesterday for the first time...so not PCMCIA and not wireless...but I found with EasyNet, even though I could apparently log on, no pings for anything (even the router) were returned. I also added my Amiga MAC into my router...and even though the router saw the IP being used...still no go.

I tried Roadshow using DHCP, and logged on...ping everything no problems! Seems like my router doesn't like being told what to do....itll do the telling So Ill be buying s copy of Roadshow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jPV View Post
It usually means that you don't have correct nameserver settings. Try if you can ping with numerical addresses, type from the shell for example: ping 8.8.8.8
If you get replies with ms values, the connection is working except the nameserver part. And if the "ping www.google.com" doesn't work, it confirms it for sure.

If that seems to be the case, try finding nameserver settings from the Easynet settings (I have no experience of it, so I can't say the exact location). You could also look the settings from amitcp:db/ directory. It might be for example in the netdb-myhost file.

When you find the correct setting, set it for example to your router address.

EDIT: seems that nameserver settings are there on the DNS settings: http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...asynetpro1.jpg
Set your router's IP address to the Primary DNS (or you could use that public 8.8.8.8 nameserver too).

And if you can't ping 8.8.8.8 in the first place, ping your router's ip address instead. If even that doesn't work, then you aren't connected properly yet, no matter if the timer goes on.

That isn't a good advice at this point First, he wasn't using Genesis, and secondly, Genesis would be perfectly fine option to use anyway.
Your suggestions were really useful for me to find my issue...thanks!
Old 18 February 2016, 13:21   #12
Sir_Lucas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooup1972 View Post
I had all sorts of weirdness setting this thing up!
Eventually I changed the security settings on the router to wep
And changed the passcode and ran easynet config again and it finally worked!!
But wasn't happy lowering security and ended up buying easynet wired card and plugged this in to one my extenders..
If you use Orinoco Gold - this card has a white connector, then you're best bet is WPA/TKIP.
Old 18 February 2016, 13:26   #13
Sir_Lucas

Quote:
Hi Sir_Lucas,

I'm using the EasyNet PCMCIA card from AmigaKit.

I can't help but wonder if it is because this card/software doesn't (currently) allow for automatic DHCP.

> Do you have WirelessManager installed in your user-startup?

Um, I don't know? You mean the editing of the WB startup sequence? When I look in there I feel like I'm walking on eggshells. I don't think I have any mention of it anywhere in there.
Does your card have white connector? What does the sticker say on the back of the card?. If it's Orinoco then you can only use WPA/TKIP.
The other thing is that: AmiTCP, Genesis and EasyNet don't support DHCP, which is a pity.

I suggest Miami, MiamiDX or Roadshow, which to me is a best TCP/IP stack.
All of the aforementioned support DHCP.

You'll find User-Startup in SYS:S drawer. Open it with text editor and look for:

C:WirelessManager prism2.device
Old 18 February 2016, 13:36   #14
jPV

@Sir_Lucas

He said "FWIW, I did use a Ping function previously, and it successfully pinged 10 times.", so I don't see any point to go with any other TCP/IP stack here or talk about the card itself now if the pinging really works.
Old 18 February 2016, 19:20   #15
intric8
AmigaLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Lucas View Post
Does your card have white connector? What does the sticker say on the back of the card?. If it's Orinoco then you can only use WPA/TKIP.
The other thing is that: AmiTCP, Genesis and EasyNet don't support DHCP, which is a pity.
I am still having issues after resetting to WPA/TKIP - no go. But I think more than anything my (ISP provided, new) router is balking at a forced IP setting for the Amiga. If EasyNet supported DHCP I have a strong suspicion the DNS would resolve.

Like I said before, the Amiga/Card can scan for networks, find my network, and join it. It just doesn't go online. I'm very tempted to try Roadshow, but I'm not sure if it supports Wi-Fi, just ethernet. I need to research that more. I've looked at the Miami option and, at least currently, was a bit taken aback at the various files required to download and install just to get it to work. That's my current last-resort, I think. If EasyNet Pro suported DHCP, that'd probably solve all of this but I have no idea what the next version will include, and how far away that release will be. I'm not keen on waiting for a solution via AmigaKit indefinitely (no offense intended).
Old 21 February 2016, 11:39   #16
Sir_Lucas

Quote:
I am still having issues after resetting to WPA/TKIP - no go. But I think more than anything my (ISP provided, new) router is balking at a forced IP setting for the Amiga. If EasyNet supported DHCP I have a strong suspicion the DNS would resolve.

Like I said before, the Amiga/Card can scan for networks, find my network, and join it. It just doesn't go online. I'm very tempted to try Roadshow, but I'm not sure if it supports Wi-Fi, just ethernet. I need to research that more. I've looked at the Miami option and, at least currently, was a bit taken aback at the various files required to download and install just to get it to work. That's my current last-resort, I think. If EasyNet Pro suported DHCP, that'd probably solve all of this but I have no idea what the next version will include, and how far away that release will be. I'm not keen on waiting for a solution via AmigaKit indefinitely (no offense intended).
Every TCP/IP stack on Amiga supports WIFI.
Try Roadshow - it supports DHCP and you can download demo from here:
http://roadshow.apc-tcp.de/index-en.php
Old 22 February 2016, 06:18   #17
intric8
AmigaLover

@sir_lucas, I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the Rec. I think my router is basically begging for DHCP to get it to work.

Thanks. I'll post back some results (when I get some) hopefully this week! I drowned my frustration over the weekend with a bit of Populous 2 and am feeling refreshed, ready to take another crack at it!