English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 10 May 2018, 12:52   #1
Marchie

Microswitch or not to microswitch?

Hi Folks,

I recently bought a couple of Quickshot Maverick 1 joysticks, and I noticed that one of them is microswitched and the other is not. I don't remember any Quickshot sticks being microswitched back in the day, so I'm assuming one has been modified (or did they make them in both configurations?).

What are people's opinions? Which is better? What are your memories of Quickshot joysticks? (I'm probably in the minority favoring the Quickshot brand) And do you remember them coming in different versions?

Only scientifically-verified answers with links to large, randomised control trials, published in reputable journals will be accepted.
Old 10 May 2018, 20:05   #2
Lozzo
An Englishman in Newport.

I seem remember one of the quickshots being a kind of horizontal buckled spring type switch, in which the spring would sag and ruin your well practiced afterttouch after a few spirited games of Kick Off 2...

I preferred the Comp Pro myself but not the latter microswitch one, the early leaf switched one. You could take it apart, dress the points on the leafs, bend them in slightly for the ultimate in sensitivity. Still got my original one here, which came with a Kempston ZX Spectrum interface back when I was a spotty 80s kid.
Old 10 May 2018, 22:04   #3
Marchie

Never got into the Comp Pro, seems I'm in the minority though.

The Maverick 1 is sweet when used with the right game.

Another igorant question - how hard is it to mod or repair a busted joystick?
Old 11 May 2018, 09:31   #4
Jope
-

They are very easy to repair, and if you play a lot, you will be doing it often with those open horizontal microswitches.
Old 11 May 2018, 11:41   #5
Marchie

I'm almost looking forward to having one break
Old 11 May 2018, 12:01   #6
clebin

Great joysticks. In my experience, the black Mavericks have leaf switches, while the grey ones all use microswitches. I much prefer the microswitched version.
Old 13 May 2018, 11:26   #7
Foebane
Banned

I thought microswitches were amazing back in the day, but these days I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole as the constant clacking might annoy my housemates.
Old 14 May 2018, 11:08   #8
Marchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
I thought microswitches were amazing back in the day, but these days I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole as the constant clacking might annoy my housemates.
Surely you just explain to them that there's an Amiga in the house and that they should show the proper courtesy and respect.
Old 14 May 2018, 11:32   #9
Gordon
Settler

I am with you in the Quickshot fan club though my preference is the Ptyhon. It comes in both microswitched and non-microswitched. I use the non-microswitched version as the noise doesnt drive my wife mad like the microswitched.