English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 25 July 2010, 10:47   #81
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

winuae.zip now reverts previous audio.device hack (protracker issue)
Old 25 July 2010, 12:13   #82
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
You should already know that problems that obviously does not happen here will get automatic "works fine here" reply without logs.
Still the same with new winuae.zip.
Attached Files
File Type: zip winuaelog.zip (10.2 KB, 189 views)
Old 25 July 2010, 12:59   #83
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Still the same with new winuae.zip.
Of course because it can't cause your problem, another reason why I wanted logs

You really sure it is b5? Does older version still work? Because there are no changes in that part of sound code at all.
Old 25 July 2010, 23:25   #84
thomas

Ok, the problem is caused by ASUS' power saving feature. Without JIT it is so slow that even Workbench games are not playable.

But there is definitely a difference between b4 and b5. With b4 sound is ok even if the CPU is slowed down but with b5 it crackles sooner or later. Seems like the sound buffer cannot be emptied fast enough. Sound LED quickly goes from 0 to -99 when sound starts. When sound ends the LED goes off. When a new sound starts, LED again starts at 0 and goes down to -99 quickly.

All that does not happen in b4, there sound LED stays between 0 and -10.
Old 26 July 2010, 15:36   #85
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Ok, the problem is caused by ASUS' power saving feature. Without JIT it is so slow that even Workbench games are not playable.

But there is definitely a difference between b4 and b5. With b4 sound is ok even if the CPU is slowed down but with b5 it crackles sooner or later. Seems like the sound buffer cannot be emptied fast enough. Sound LED quickly goes from 0 to -99 when sound starts. When sound ends the LED goes off. When a new sound starts, LED again starts at 0 and goes down to -99 quickly.

All that does not happen in b4, there sound LED stays between 0 and -10.
Does it happen in all modes? Even when using A500 quickstart? Same if you disable sound automatic switching? (I still can't find anything in b5 that can cause this kind of problems)
Old 26 July 2010, 15:50   #86
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Of course I found one issue after replying.. Does http://www.winuae.net/files/b/winuae.zip work?

(but you should have reported increased CPU% value instead of SND% because problem had nothing to do with sound.. If this fixes it)
Old 26 July 2010, 16:39   #87
thomas

Quote:
Of course I found one issue after replying.. Does http://www.winuae.net/files/b/winuae.zip work?
It writes a minidump as soon as I try to insert a disk into DF0 on the quickstart panel (see attachment).

Quote:
(but you should have reported increased CPU% value instead of SND% because problem had nothing to do with sound.. If this fixes it)
With my 3.1 config CPU% was not remarkably high. Now that you asked for an A500 quickstart config, here CPU% jumps to 115% and SND to -165% when crackling occurs. This happens when graphics changes. Tried the Music AmigaBasic demo from the Extras 1.3 disk. Everytime the lines are drawn, the sound crackles. If nothing is drawn, sound is ok but sound LED is a -150% and CPU is at 90%.
Attached Files
File Type: dmp winuae_230b6_20100726_163321.dmp (39.9 KB, 194 views)
Old 26 July 2010, 17:05   #88
thomas

Quote:
It writes a minidump as soon as I try to insert a disk into DF0 on the quickstart panel (see attachment).
But yes, it fixes the sound problem.
Old 26 July 2010, 19:14   #89
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
I noticed you used .ini in your previous log. Does it work if you do not use ini? (there have been some changes in ini handling.., attach the ini it only crashes with ini enabled)
Old 26 July 2010, 19:55   #90
thomas

It does not happen without ini file, but it does also happen with an empty ini file.

BTW, the first rom scan on a virgin registry or empty ini file always fails. Although it displays the progress window, it comes up with "one of the following ROMs is required". However, if I then go to the paths page and just click on Rescan without changing any path, all Amiga models are available and if I run WinUAE next time, it does no longer issue the "one of..." requester.
Attached Files
File Type: zip winuae.zip (20.4 KB, 187 views)
Old 26 July 2010, 20:01   #91
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I can't duplicate.. Create new empty ini, start winuae, exit it and attach winuaebootlog.txt.

EDIT: not finding roms in ini mode is not a bug, I decided that ini by default should mean: do not use anything outside of winuae, default to relative paths. (but it shouldn't "autofix" when run second time either..) EDIT3: AF rom paths are always detected if "rom" or "roms" is not found under winuae path.

EDIT2: I think I found something..

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 26 July 2010 at 20:36.
Old 26 July 2010, 20:36   #92
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

winuae.zip updated again, fixes possible startup crash, still no idea if it fixes later crashes.. EDIT: disk history crash fixed now (old unicode conversion bug, didn't cause problems until now..)

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 26 July 2010 at 21:14.
Old 27 July 2010, 08:10   #93
thomas

Quote:
I can't duplicate.. Create new empty ini, start winuae, exit it and attach winuaebootlog.txt.

EDIT: not finding roms in ini mode is not a bug, I decided that ini by default should mean: do not use anything outside of winuae, default to relative paths. (but it shouldn't "autofix" when run second time either..) EDIT3: AF rom paths are always detected if "rom" or "roms" is not found under winuae path.

Well,

1. paths panel should reflect whichever paths are defaulted to
2. the defaults shown in paths panel should be used for the initial ROM scan.

Currently it looks like you are first scanning for ROMs and then setting default paths.

3. the "one of..." requester comes up when runing without .ini file for the first time, too. Also the paths panel shows the right paths and a manual ROM scan fixes the "one of..." thing without changing any path. Exactly the same behaviour as with .ini file.

Quote:
winuae.zip updated again, fixes possible startup crash, still no idea if it fixes later crashes.. EDIT: disk history crash fixed now (old unicode conversion bug, didn't cause problems until now..)
Yes, the floppy panel crash is fixed now.
Old 27 July 2010, 08:29   #94
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Roll eyes (sarcastic)

Quote:
Tried the Music AmigaBasic demo from the Extras 1.3 disk.
Really a sensible testing object. No, not (!) ironic , since I used this frequently back in 0.8.8 / 0.8.14 times.

Quote:
Everytime the lines are drawn, the sound crackles. If nothing is drawn, sound is ok but sound LED is a -150% and CPU is at 90%.
Maybe it is not uninteresting if I mention that this very music demo always required 100% accurate sound emulation (at least) in older versions.
"Emulated" alone would never do, since it would cause anything from showing audio errors, getting audio/gfx sync screwed up - up to breaking off prematurely (from time to time).
Though we're (admittedly) 100 miles away from these ancient builds now, the executed Amiga code always stays the same, hence I'd say you never know...

Last edited by andreas; 27 July 2010 at 08:37.
Old 27 July 2010, 08:35   #95
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas View Post
Really a very good testing object. No, not ironic , since I used this frequently back in 0.8.8 / 0.8.14 times.

Maybe it is not uninteresting if I mention that this very music demo always required 100% accurate sound emulation in older versions.
"Emulated" alone would never do, since it would cause audio errors as well as audio/gfx sync flaws, up to breaking off prematurely (rare). Admittedly, we're 100 miles away from these ancient builds now, but since the executed Amiga code always stays the same, I'd say you never know...
Maybe you should have read all following posts because this had nothing to do with sound and is already solved.
Old 27 July 2010, 08:37   #96
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Well,

1. paths panel should reflect whichever paths are defaulted to
Ther has always been "hidden" default rom paths that are always used when scanning (+ the one listed in paths)

Quote:
2. the defaults shown in paths panel should be used for the initial ROM scan.
It is. (plus "hidden" ones) Note that new AF2010 ROMs seems to have some key issues or something when winuae is run stand-alone.
Old 27 July 2010, 09:03   #97
thomas

Quote:
Ther has always been "hidden" default rom paths that are always used when scanning (+ the one listed in paths)
But the one listed in paths is *not* used for the initial scan.

Quote:
It is. (plus "hidden" ones)
Then please explain why the initial ROM scan does not find KS 1.3 ROMs while they definitely are in the path shown in paths panel.

Please understand that I do not change anything. I just run WinUAE, watch the scan, get the "one of..." requester, click on Ok, click on Paths, click on Rescan. From my point of view this rescan should do exactly the same as the initial scan, because I did not change the default path. But the second scan finds the ROMs while the first one doesn't.

Quote:
Note that new AF2010 ROMs seems to have some key issues or something when winuae is run stand-alone.
I use ROM files copied from the AF2008 CD. It's not an installed AF.
Old 27 July 2010, 09:11   #98
thomas

Quote:
I use ROM files copied from the AF2008 CD. It's not an installed AF.

But you are right, it seems to be some kind of "key issue". If I copy unencrypted ROMs to the same directory, it works correctly.
Old 27 July 2010, 10:57   #99
bagpipes

Fightin' Spirit (CD32) problem

Hi Toni. I have problem with this game in new betas. The game hangs up after versus screen (before fight). In WinUAE 2.2.0 game runs correctly.
Here is my configs (run in quickstart mode):
Attached Files
File Type: uae Fightin' Spirit (CD32).uae (10.2 KB, 187 views)
File Type: txt winuaelog.txt (6.0 KB, 194 views)
File Type: txt winuaebootlog.txt (10.4 KB, 190 views)

Last edited by bagpipes; 27 July 2010 at 14:43.
Old 27 July 2010, 16:22   #100
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
Maybe you should have read all following posts because this had nothing to do with sound and is already solved.
Yes! Missed that in this mess! Sorry.