English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 15 September 2013, 12:34   #1
Rag1

Idiot needs help whdload a600

Hi
I am a complete numpty with computers & probably have no right to be on here, anyway me & a few mates thought it would be a good idea to start sensi soccer tournies again, like we did in the early 90s. I thought it would be a good idea to buy an amiga again as I had a bit of spare cash & I liked all the old games, despite the fact I am completely computer illiterate, so I bought one off Ebay.
Then I thought it would be good to have it all on hard drive so bought one off Amigakit (pre loaded with whdload). Also bought 3.1 rom from them, OS 3.1, 1mb trapdoor exp, 2mb sram card & pcmcia transfer kit off Ebay again. Installed all this, reasonably smoothly.
Problems are, the games I have on disk no longer load up & I (because I am clueless) don't know why, also I thought transferring files would be easy with a cf card but I have not done anything like this before(I really just use my pc for browsing/occasional gaming). Have tried following instructions but does not seem to work, I obviously have not done something right but also struggle with the terminology.
I have now spent too much money to give in now because of my ignorance & I know that when I have done it all once I will be ok but I don't know where to start.
So first off, if anyone could help, why don't the games on disc now load? Secondly when I try extracting files off whdload site my pc tells me it cant, so what is the tool I need? (basic I know but I really am new to all this)
If anyone has the patience to help, it would be appreciated.
Old 15 September 2013, 14:22   #2
lukassid

Hi mate
Most likely those floppy games don't like 3.1 kickstart rom. Put back your old rom chip and they will work.
If you like to upgrade your a600 for WHDLoad you need more Fast Ram and perhaps better CPU. So you need ACA620 accelerator. It's all expensive game upgrading your Amiga, sorry mate.
You unpack those LHA files in Amiga not PC.

Last edited by lukassid; 15 September 2013 at 14:52.
Old 15 September 2013, 14:48   #3
lukassid

There is few ways of doing it with A600
1: Cheapest
Keep your original Rom and use floppies. Use EasyADF floppy from AmigaKit or similar program. (EasyADF will also unpack that LHA files on your Amiga like WHD load games) and PCMCIA kit to transfer ADF from PC to floppies.
2: Use SD card and HXC Floppy Emulator, no need for transferring files thru Amiga.
3:Keep 2.05 rom, buy CF HD, extra chip ram (trapdoor) and Fast Ram like Kipper2k or PCMCIA SRAM card and Use WHD load with Workbench 2.1 You can still use floppy
4:Most expensive but comfortable to use when all set up.
Upgrade to 3.1 Rom, buy chip ram, ACA620 accelerator, CF HD. Install os 3.1 (3.5 or 3.9) the best is Classic Workbench package with WHDLoad there already.
If you want to use floppy as well for older games you will need physical Kickstart switcher or relokick software

There is other options but I only listed what is easy to buy right now.
Old 15 September 2013, 15:10   #4
Rag1

Hi Lukassid
Thanks for the reply, have looked at accelerator, but don't want to spend until I know I am capable of transferring games using whdload. whdload is on my hard disk already, but when I try to install it, keeps saying cant open installer.
Found a video on youtube,
'Amiga WHDLoad with CF tutorial' which tells me I need lha.run & installer-43, downloaded WinRAR to pc which will allow me to unzip installer file, so I can put it on transfer cf, but it wont unzip lha.run, which I believe I also need to have on my amiga, which program do I need to unzip lha.run so I can transfer it?
Old 15 September 2013, 15:15   #5
fryguy

lha.run will autoextract when you run it on the Amiga, you will then get lha_68000 or something similar, copy it to c: as lha (copy lha_68000 c:lha)

WHDLoad is not that usable with 2MB RAM though, you should get some fastmem if you
want to use WHDLoad. Kipper2ks 4MB card for A600 is pretty cheap.

(I recommend that you unpack the files on the Amiga, to make sure file flags etc. are preserved).
Old 15 September 2013, 15:33   #6
Rag1

Thanks for the reply fryguy, but I cannot get lhd.run onto my amiga, WinRAR wont open it, I tried dragging it from downloads onto my transfer cf card but it does not show when plugged into amiga.
Old 15 September 2013, 16:11   #7
psygnosis

Get an 8meg fast ram board from kipper and your laughing
Old 15 September 2013, 16:41   #8
Rag1

I will get an accelerator to run the games, if I ever manage to get the hard drive set up
Old 15 September 2013, 18:45   #9
lukassid

You won't run whdload without fast ram. You have to unpack stuff on your amiga not PC.
Amiga can't see your fat formatted cf without drivers. Just get that http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=694
After you install your transfer CF will appear on your Workbench screen. With that program you'll be able to unpack stuff from CF card into your Amiga HD as well.
I would get an ACA620 hence you invested already in 3.1 roms. 020 will make your Amiga much more pleasant to use. Also many WHDLoad games are crack to work on 68020.
Old 15 September 2013, 20:45   #10
Rag1

Thanks, have sent off for easy adf from amigakit. I get it about the ram not being enough to run the games but it appears my problem is the pre installed whdload program that came with my cf hd.
When I attempt to install it, I just get an error message (#80000003). My installer worked fine on other programs so it looks like a dud.
Old 15 September 2013, 21:39   #11
Nobby_UK

If you get completely stuck you could always drop it of at mine...
Old 15 September 2013, 22:28   #12
fryguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rag1 View Post
Thanks for the reply fryguy, but I cannot get lhd.run onto my amiga, WinRAR wont open it, I tried dragging it from downloads onto my transfer cf card but it does not show when plugged into amiga.
You will probably have to select "Show all files" in WB to make it show up. But i recommend that you run it from Shell. Select "Execute" in WB and type newshell.

In shell type cc0: or whatever the cfcard shows up as and then type lha.run to make it self extract.
If it doesn't work you might have to type protect lha.run +rwed (or if it is protect +rwed lha.run can never remember the syntax).

Then type copy lha_68000 c:lha (or what the extracted file is called)

If you want to extract a file you type lha x filename.lha

Last edited by fryguy; 15 September 2013 at 22:57.
Old 16 September 2013, 14:11   #13
Rag1

Thanks fryguy for the advice, am waiting on a new adf transfer kit & accelerator from amigakit now, will have another crack at it when I get them.
Cheers Nobby , if that's an offer then I may take you up on it, I really want to try to do it myself but if I do get really stuck then I will get in touch, if that's ok.
Old 16 September 2013, 21:59   #14
Nobby_UK

Feel Free
Old 16 September 2013, 22:23   #15
TroelsDK
Registered Amiga Maniac

I sounds like you have all you need already!

Just follow Steve's video here:

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 17 September 2013, 15:54   #16
Rag1

Thanks for the link TroelsDK, looks interesting stuff
Old 29 September 2013, 14:07   #17
Rag1

Hi all
Would like to thank everyone for help so far.
Have got easyadf from amigakit & also aca620 accelerator which I have installed, (though not with mem expansion yet).
Have installed to HD first game 'w of Sensi Scooer', using whdload site & my own game discs, very easy & works great. However when I tried to install 'Cannon Fodder' from whdload site using transfer kit not disks I have a problem.
The game seems to install fine , when I click on it I get the message requesting me to register, like with 'Sensi Soccer', but then I get another message as the game is about to start
Dos_error # 205 (obect not found) on locking "cf_data"
Can anybody put me right on where I am going wrong please?
Old 29 September 2013, 14:12   #18
TroelsDK
Registered Amiga Maniac

That sounds like the kickstart images are either not there, or bad.. You need to have the kickstart images in System:Devs/Kickstarts/

The files are the ones named:

kick33180.A500
kick33180.A500.RTB

and so on...

Last edited by prowler; 29 September 2013 at 21:35. Reason: Added <noparse></noparse> tags.
Old 30 September 2013, 21:39   #19
laffer
Zone Friend

Rag1, you can get a good explanation about how to rename kickstart files for use with WHDload, and also a link for the accompanying files you need, here -

http://www.whdload.de/docs/en/need.html

I found that page very helpful when I first installed WHDload.

I hope you'll soon have it up and running perfectly, sounds great!
Old 30 September 2013, 22:11   #20
Rag1

Thanks for everyones help, now have it up & running, with a slightly better understanding of the process, did not realise you could just drag & drop from the whddownload site & the roms seem to be working well now. Thanks again!