English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 19 March 2013, 20:58   #1
GadgetUK

WHDLOAD - kickstart problem

Hi,

I've searched a fair bit, and the problem I am getting is driving me around the bend. I've read the same problem but no matter what I try I cannot seem to resolve it.

You guessed it from the title, it's the issue where it says the kickstart roms are invalid. I've downloaded dozens of different copies of the 500, 1200, 4000 ROM files and the .RTB files, the file name is spot on - matching the WHDLOAD documentation on the website, and the .RTB files named correctly.

I know the location Devs\Kickstarts is correct because if I rename the folder it gives some other file related error because it cannot find the files. Similarly the same thing happens if I rename the .A500 .A1200 or .A4000 filenames, it then cannot find them and gives a different error.

I am using WHDLOAD 17.1 is there something wrong with this version or what? Is there somewhere I can download the files I need to get up and running? It seems like everyone is quite happy to share and upload .adf files but the ROMs no one seems to want to upload anywhere - at least not a complete set that 'just works' with WHDLOAD.

The only thing I can think that might be wrong is that I am copying the unzipped files to CF card, and then copying those on the A1200 to Workbench. Still I cannot understand how that could have any bearing on the problem at all since every other file, executable, game, document i've copied that way works just fine?

I was thinking about buying Amiga Forever but I am not sure what thats going to give me that I dont already have. ie. I've got the ROMs, i've got the .RTB files, what would Amiga Forever give me that I dont have?
AdSense AdSense  
Old 19 March 2013, 22:03   #2
roy bates

ok lets start from the very beginning.

can you list the files you have? please list them as they are writen in the devs/kickstart folder.

also you might have a maxransfer problem,so you might want to check that as well.

we arnt alowed to link to kickstart files.
Old 19 March 2013, 22:06   #3
Leffmann

Are you aware of the so-called MaxTransfer problem? In the partition settings for your hard disk there's a field called max transfer, it must be set below 128kb or files of that size and larger may be corrupted when copied onto the disk. Set it to 0x1fe00 when partitioning your disks and things should work.

Also verify that the file sizes of your ROMs are either 262144 or 524288 bytes and that the checksums match. The ROM files needed are the same ones you use for f.ex WinUAE, so you could use WinUAE to check that they're good.
Old 19 March 2013, 22:11   #4
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

WHDLoad expects the kickstarts to have a certain crc16 value.
Here's a list of working suitable rom images:
http://www.whdload.de/whdload/kick.txt
Old 19 March 2013, 22:47   #5
GadgetUK

Thanks, I will check the checksums later. I've already tried my UAE ROMs as well (renamed) but they give the same error.

Filenames of the files are:-

kick34005.A500.RTB
kick34005.A500

Same format and case for the 1200 and 4000 rom although I assume those are just 3.1, and for the 500 ive used KS1.3 for the file above. The RTB came straight from aminet lzh file.
Old 19 March 2013, 23:41   #6
roy bates

is that your full list?

you can check the file size in the tooltypes as well i think.

Last edited by roy bates; 19 March 2013 at 23:47.
Old 20 March 2013, 00:40   #7
GadgetUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy bates View Post
is that your full list?

you can check the file size in the tooltypes as well i think.
OK, i've made a little progress but still scratching my head over a few things...

I've got a couple of sets of 'working' kickstarts now. And that has allowed some games to work but some crash - Illegal instructions and stuff, but i dont know why. The 1200 seems fine, i've done full RAM tests and played several games no problem on it so I think the hardware is sound.

I've got an 8Mb RAM expansion in there with an 68882 and that all checks out fine as well with test software.

I had to install lha, and then expand the 'kickstart' images using that to the CF card, then copy from CF card to the Devs/Kickstarts folder and at that point some things suddenly started working - namely games that previously said the 1.3 kickstart was invalid. But... Say I load Fate of Atlantis, it loads now with a black screen and small white line up top, no sound no nothing and if I click the mouse I see a light blue screen and it shoots back to workbench. Someone mentioned something earlier up (which i've not fully investigated yet) about the max size of file buffers or transfer speed or something. Is it possible that because I copied some of these games with that setting being wrong that I may have the odd corruption? Just need to work out how to check that setting now I think, and hope that has something to do with it.
Old 20 March 2013, 00:44   #8
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetUK View Post
Someone mentioned something earlier up (which i've not fully investigated yet) about the max size of file buffers or transfer speed or something. Is it possible that because I copied some of these games with that setting being wrong that I may have the odd corruption? Just need to work out how to check that setting now I think, and hope that has something to do with it.
Yes, I would say that's almost certainly the problem.

Use the Search menu item at the top of the page and enter "MaxTransfer setting" in the box to get more info.
Old 20 March 2013, 01:10   #9
GadgetUK

Almost there now... I've set all partitions to 0x1FE000, and rebooted. Checked again to make sure it saved the settings - and it did (I pressed enter after each change).

Fate of Atlantis still didnt work even after copying fresh from the CF card. But... I noticed that if I run the games direct from the CF card they actually work =O

Any idea whats going on here?

EDIT: I mean that Fate of Atlantis works from \Atlantis folder on the CF card. If I show all files and copy that folder to Games: partition it does the black screen with some white pixels up top before dropping to WB after clicking mouse. Frontier crashed before with illegal instruction but runs flawlessly from the CF card. I seem to have some sort of problem with files corrupting or something when xfering from CF to CFHDD?

EDIT: When I say CF card I mean via PCMCIA card slot - I have games working on that, but not from HDD, only some (smaller games) work from the CFHDD OK, despite every partition being set to 0x1FE000. I've also got 4Mb of my 8Mb RAM disabled to allow the CF slot to work - I am not sure if that's normal but I found that when its set to 8Mb the CF slot doesnt work? KS3.1 on this 1200 btw.

Last edited by GadgetUK; 20 March 2013 at 01:22.
Old 20 March 2013, 01:38   #10
GadgetUK

I think I might still have MaxTransfer wrong... Thinking about it just now 0x1FE000 < see the 0's shouldnt 1 or more be to the left of the 1?
Old 20 March 2013, 03:08   #11
Leffmann

It should be 0x1fe00 just like I wrote. It will print out 0x0001fe00 afterwards, which is exactly the same number.
Old 20 March 2013, 09:12   #12
roy bates

after youve set the max transfer setting ,youll probably have to reinstall the games again.
Old 20 March 2013, 11:04   #13
GadgetUK

Yay!!! It's working!! The main problem causing all my issues was that MaxTransfer value, and when I altered it the first time I added zeros to the end... Moment of stupidity, I am a programmer, all I can say is I was overtired when altering it last night.

All working fine - i've recopied the games and kickstarts. Thanks to the few people that have also helped me via email and pm as well!
Old 20 March 2013, 12:03   #14
roy bates

good job,have fun.
Old 20 March 2013, 13:26   #15
johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

great stuff
AdSense AdSense