English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - General

Old 16 January 2017, 06:33   #1
Pat the Cat

Conciousness research - Links, researchers, etc

Issues on consciousness and cognition came up on a thread of mine, and while not responding there, I thought I'd post out some references to the subject for those curious on the subject.

First, current research is still ongoing by the Institute of Noetic Sciences, so head there if you want some current stuff;-

http://noetic.org/

Second, while HUGELY controversional, the Cognitive Sciences Laboratory, part of SAIC / Stanford Research Institute (in Menlo Park, where Addison Wesley also came from) is still up and maintained. This was the principle research centre, along with PEAR and the University of Edinburgh and other prestigious academic units, for the operational psychic warfare unit known as Gondola Wish / Grill Flame / Sun Streak / Stargate (before the movie). Most of the research has been declassified (not all) but the operational files are still nearly all classified. This work was started by Drs Hal Puthoff and Dr Russel Targ, co-inventors of the solid state laser, and continued under the overall direction of Dr Ed May.

http://lfr.org/LFR/csl/index.html

Thirdly, Dr Bob Monroe, did extensive research into altering human perception by means of audio played directly into the ear. He trademarked this concept as "Hemisync". Although he died years ago, the Monroe Institute still carries on his work, and still releases Hemisync works. They are hugely expensive, but can be legally torrented in some jurisdictions FOR PERSONAL EDUCATIONAL USE ONLY. They may NOT be redistributed, so if you want my mixes, tough, you can't have 'em. "Binaural beats" are a poor copy of the original works.

https://www.monroeinstitute.org/

Fourthly, an even earlier pioneer was Dr Charles Tart, who published the seminal works "States of Consciousness" and "Altered States of Consciousness". They are much sought after rare works now, but you can sometimes find scans of them here and there. I think he coined the term "limen", as the limit of consciousness, beyond which the subconscious is aware, but the conscious mind is not (for instance, subliminal advertising),

Finally, a current author who has published some fascinating works on the subject is Daniel Goleman. I would recommend his work "Vital Lies, Simple Truths: The Psychology of Self Deception" as a very enlightening book, and indeed, have been impressed with all his works.

You may now throw vegetables, pour scornful replies etc, to this post, as you please.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 16 January 2017, 14:09   #2
haps
Rumpig

Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment chop wood, carry water.
Old 16 January 2017, 20:07   #3
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
I suppose you have heard about or even experienced
expanding states of conscientiousness through the use of Tibetan or should I say Himalayan "singing" bowls :

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by SquawkBox; 17 January 2017 at 00:14.
Old 16 January 2017, 23:04   #4
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by haps View Post
Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment chop wood, carry water.
Easily dismissed, until you've actually done it.
Old 17 January 2017, 22:48   #5
haps
Rumpig

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Easily dismissed, until you've actually done it.
Spent many years swinging an axe to earn a crust. Then spent a while doing the opposite and planted trees for a living, that involved carrying water. Still haven't reached enlightenment though.
Old 19 January 2017, 15:23   #6
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
"Now you, Sir, have a large tree, and don’t know how to use it, so why not plant it in the middle of nowhere,
where you can go to wander or fall asleep under its shade ? No axe under Heaven will attack it, nor shorten its days,
for something which is useless to others will never be disturbed."

To quote, according to circumstances, Taoist philosopher / interpreter Tchouang-tseu

Last edited by SquawkBox; 20 January 2017 at 06:42.
Old 19 January 2017, 23:23   #7
Pat the Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by haps View Post
Some validity. If you can find better, more efficient, easier way to cause beneficial physical effects.

Humans benefit from physical activity within certain limits. At least, while we're alive.

If existence is nothing but drudgery for more drudgery, very inefficient cause of beneficial physical effects, this is not to a human's benefit. A certain amount of drudgery has to be tolerated perhaps, certainly physical activity. It doesn't have to be performed in the manner of drudgery. You can carry water with grace, chop wood with artistry. Sometimes one does not feel enlightened enough to do so. If you cannot do either, neither is an option anyway.
Old Yesterday, 00:18   #8
pubzombie

Great thread this ! I'm actually involved in consciousness research and altered states of reality using VR combined with sensory deprivation - will be organising some entertainment and research based experiences over the next year. If your interested further drop me a PM peace out man
AdSense AdSense