Old 02 January 2014, 11:27   #142
trydowave

Just edited it out.
Old 04 January 2014, 03:30   #143
desiv

Finally got around to playing this...
Wow..
Great looking and playing game...
OK, hard to say it's great playing, because I'm so BAD...., ;-)

But I've always been really bad, so retro or not, some things never change..

Thanx for the labels too.. Can't find my labels now, but I'll print 'em when I find 'em..

I'll be watching for box/manual options...

desiv
Old 05 January 2014, 12:04   #144
utri007
mä vaan

Couldn't get this work in real amiga. Or should I say that whdload installer didn't work, I don't have working floppy drive and my diskimagecontroll / diskimage.device is too old.
Old 05 January 2014, 15:54   #145
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by utri007 View Post
Couldn't get this work in real amiga. Or should I say that whdload installer didn't work, I don't have working floppy drive and my diskimagecontroll / diskimage.device is too old.
Do the WHDLoad install in WinUAE, mount the ADF's in WinUAE and run the installer. Once installed just copy the files to your Amiga and enjoy
Old 08 January 2014, 19:09   #146
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Does anyone have a link with the WHDLOAD version already unpacked with game ready for copying over via PCMCIA?
Old 08 January 2014, 19:12   #147
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil79 View Post
Does anyone have a link with the WHDLOAD version already unpacked with game ready for copying over via PCMCIA?
Hi Neil,

Have a read here:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=71919

Part of the terms regarding distribution is that you have to acquire the ADF's from System 3 and do the install yourself, Galahad has specifically asked that this is not distributed in pre-installed WHDLoad form.

It's real easy, just do it in WinUAE or write the ADF's to real Disks if you get stuck.

Steve.
Old 08 January 2014, 19:21   #148
vroom6sri

I had never done a manual whdload install but managed to do it following the help in the couple of Putty Squad threads and if I can do it then anyone can.
Old 08 January 2014, 19:29   #149
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Boyyyaa I did it myself

Thankfully using ClassicWB was a breeze!

Copy over the directories and adf file to a temp folder on the Amiga/WINUAE, use WHDinstall and select the adf files. Install to Games, copy folder/info to PCMCIA and then to the Amiga

WIN!
Old 08 January 2014, 23:10   #150
Higgy

Many thanks for this. I have just been having a play.

Putty brings back memories of the good old days when Future Publishing had an open day or whatever they called it at their office in Somerton, Somerset (I was local then). There was loads of mags and games for sale cheap. I got Putty, Flight of the Intruder and Dynablasters (5 player was manic, but had some slowdown).
Old 15 January 2014, 17:54   #151
CFou!

wonderfull news

i didn"t know that Putty Squad was released for Xmas 2013!!!

i am so happy

i will test it without delay using Codetapper 's whdload patch
Old 18 February 2014, 14:40   #152
Gzegzolka

Great game - finished it in week after Christmas - sometimes game is too hectic with action, it is easy to lost orientation because game is fast and smart bomb black-putty'ies look similar to blue one Graphic, sound and gameplay are solid - many great ideas and there is nearly always more than one solution.
Old 22 February 2014, 07:19   #153
Mark Wright

I wonder what System 3's expectations were in terms of positive knock-on effect for them as a result of releasing Amiga Putty Squad? I can't help but think we've let them down a bit.

If they were lead to believe that there is still a vibrant, buoyant Amiga scene, I suspect they might be disappointed with the low count of Facebook "Likes" from their download page, YouTube views of PS-related videos (all under 1000) and coverage in general. Wrong time of year to release it of course, so easy to get drowned out, but well-meant.

Given its holy grail status over such a long period of time, are there really fewer than 1000 people left who care? How do you ensure maximum visibility and awareness for such a monumentous achievement? (Make this thread sticky?!) It would be a pity if this news has failed to reach >70% of its audience due to the time of year.

Can we get System 3 to issue a press release thanking everyone who's downloaded it so far and give it a "we're amazed at the response" spin just to keep it in the headlines?

I'd have hoped for upwards of 3,000 individual indications of support in the first month, rising to nearer 5,000 after about six months. What's the ceiling? Are there still 10,000 people worldwide who care after a year? (Once the news reaches them?)

I wonder how many copies the game would have sold had it been released? 3-5,000 is my estimate!
Old 22 February 2014, 07:43   #154
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wright View Post
If they were lead to believe that there is still a vibrant, buoyant Amiga scene, I suspect they might be disappointed with the low count of Facebook "Likes" from their download page, YouTube views of PS-related videos (all under 1000) and coverage in general.
I'm not sure who would have lead them to believe that. The numbers are at the bottom of the main page: "Members: 6,680, Active Members: 1,372" (for EAB)

There is no market anymore, not even one for cross advertising Of course they got some people to buy the PS4 version that way, but I'd say a number around 100 is a realistic guess. They had it laying around, Galahad did the hard work and it sold them a few extra copies. Plus they earned/regained respect from retro gamers which might not pay off this time, but is a longterm benefit.

While we're thankful about the release I don't actually see why 'we' should ask System 3 to bump the headlines again. I sent them an email about Putty Squad over a month ago and haven't heard back from them yet, so that's how much they care about us here now
Old 22 February 2014, 08:00   #155
Mark Wright

Oh please don't get me wrong, I suppose what I asked is really a hypothetical question - it just occured to me that Mark Cale is an old-school businessman and, while we all know that in the age of Twitter, Facebook and forums, a handful of people making noise can seem like a stadium full, I wondered what figure he had in mind to justify the effort. That's what I meant by "lead to believe". Their interpretation of "a lot of buzz about this" versus the reality.

Several hats off to the EAB members involved. Only Galahad made it possible - where dreams come true - and it's now out there forever more, which is the important thing. I'm sure by the end of this year that thousands of erstwhile Amiga freaks will have chipped in with comments at all the usual places (including here).

I suppose what I meant was: does everyone who cares now know about this? If so, great, but it's a bit of an eye-opener for me. If not, how do we get the message out there while it's still "news"...
Old 22 February 2014, 12:05   #156
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

I think unfortunately there is too much take from some people.

I think a lot more than a few hundred have downloaded the game, its just that only a few hundred bothered to thank System 3.

I'm not going to point fingers, but when I did the thread about 'Putty Squad the details', I literally had to coerce some to thank S3. "But I don't have Facebook"... as if that was the only way of contacting them.

What's left of the Amiga community knows about Putty Squad, those that want to thank have done so, the rest that take and play and then move onto something else never will.

The cracktro for Putty Squad has only 16 thumbs up on pouet.net........it is statistically unlikely that only 16 have viewed it. Therefore I have to conclude that lots of people have viewed it, but don't actually bother to vote and take part, and that's the same for the game.

In this day of less than dwindling releases, you would think that people would bend over backwards to be happy and make their thought known...........I guess not.
Old 22 February 2014, 12:40   #157
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

I find this "everyone should thank System 3" talk quite hypocritical. After all it took them years to release the game and apparently for more than a decade they didn't care about the people who were interested in the game. It's good that the game got released but that still doesn't mean people have to bootlick them! If someone wants to thank them, fine, but it is also OK not to do so as it should be one's own decision how to react to the fact the game is finally out.

As for thumbs on Pouet for the crack intro, yes, most probably more than 16 people have watched it but often there won't be any comments if something is not extraordinarily good (or bad) so people watch it and move on. It always has been like this and this is not an "Amiga only" phenomenon.
Old 22 February 2014, 12:48   #158
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
I find this "everyone should thank System 3" talk quite hypocritical. After all it took them years to release the game and apparently for more than a decade they didn't care about the people who were interested in the game. It's good that the game got released but that still doesn't mean people have to bootlick them! If someone wants to thank them, fine, but it is also OK not to do so as it should be one's own decision how to react to the fact the game is finally out.
Since when has a simple 'Thanks for Putty Squad' equated to 'bootlicking'?

I appreciate that not everyone wants to thank them, and thats their right, but I think what Mark was trying to hint at was trying to gauge the size of the current Amiga community, and a release like Putty Squad (whether anyone actually likes the game is another matter!) was surely the game to achieve that.

Quote:
As for thumbs on Pouet for the crack intro, yes, most probably more than 16 people have watched it but often there won't be any comments if something is not extraordinarily good (or bad) so people watch it and move on. It always has been like this and this is not an "Amiga only" phenomenon.
I appreciate that, but I used that as an illustration to prove a point. For sure its had more than 16 views, but very few people could be bothered to vote for it whether they liked it or not, and the same attitude is prevalent for Putty Squad and hell, a shit load of other releases.

The fact is, some people just don't get involved, and don't vote period.

Its sad in a way, we've no real idea just how big the Amiga community actually is anymore, which is a shame.
Old 22 February 2014, 13:13   #159
Gzegzolka

Most people see there is a free game and they will download it without saying thanks, in my opinion only few will say "thanks". It's just like EAB, I'm sure there is lot of people who read this forum but do not register as users (I was doing like that for a very long time ), follow some topics etc. I say thanks to S3 for what they done, and I remember there was lot of flame before Christmas in this subject.
Old 08 March 2014, 01:04   #160
s2325
Zone Friend

A Playguide and Review - by LemonAmiga.com [ Show youtube player ]