English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 13 February 2008, 11:49   #1
AmazeO XD

Just want to play ONE game. Very new to Amiga. Please help.

Alright. I read the wiki, and I tried to read previously established posts.. but it all seems like some jargin. All i've been able to do is this...

Download WinUAE.
Download the 6 different disc ADF's for the game I want to play (Hare Raising Havoc)
Download the Replacement Exe file for it.

Basically, I've got all seven of the files, and all my WinUAE stuff. How do I play it. Please give me the most basic steps, and if I have to download extra stuff, please give me the name or a link.

I've been battling this amiga game since I was like.. 5. I've never gotten it to work on any other computers, and I just want to finally beat it. So.. please.. I'm begging you. Tell me in significant detail how to set up this game.

I'm running on Windows XP. I don't have a joystick or anything, just a keyboard. Please help.

Thanks!

Old 13 February 2008, 12:20   #2
Hewitson

For starters you will need a suitable kickstart image, 1.3 if game is designed for A500, 3.1 if it is designed for 1200. I am not allowed to post any links to these on here but you will find them on the web without too much trouble.

What is this replacement exe?
Old 13 February 2008, 12:30   #3
AmazeO XD

Hey

Hey man, thanks for the quick reply.

After doing some searching, I was able to find the TOSEC Amiga package. I've got all the different Kickstarts for all the different Amiga platforms. Now, the game (Hare Raising Havoc) has eight files. I might be a hard disk only game, in that case.. I have no idea what that means, but I saw it mentioned somewhere. I have eight files.

Hare Raising Havoc(1991)(Infogrames)(Disk 1 of 6)[HD].adf
Then the same stuff except disk 2 of 6, 2[a] of 6, 3 of 6, 4 of 6, 5 of 6, and 6 of 6.

And this other file name is
Hare Raising Havoc (1991)(Infogrames)[cr SKR][HD][replacement exe].adf

I found them all on Planetemu.com in the ROM section. After reading another tutorial, I was able to get one of the kickstarts up, and I used my floppy drive emulator thingy to run the last file, the replacement exe one. Any other of the seven files that I tried to run, it would just give me that picture of the hand and the disk.. which means I needed to enter a disc. When I ran the replacement exe one, I got the bootscreen and it looks like this...

http://i31.tinypic.com/sg4uo4.jpg

So.. what do I do past here. Right now I'm running in...
A500
Config: 1.3 ROM, OCS, 512 KB Chip +512 KB Slow RAM (most common).

As you can see, I'm not computer retarded, I'm just not that great with Amiga. Currently Tosec is downloading, and i've got like 20 minutes left... so once that downloads, I'll be able to run all the different formats.

Thanks!

EDIT: I don't know what format the game is suited for.

Old 13 February 2008, 16:12   #4
Hewitson

Those disks are designed to be installed into a Workbench installation. If you don't wish to create a hardfile and install Workbench, a ready to use hardfile for the game can be found here:

http://www.planetemu.net/index.php?s...owrom&id=82935

Simply configure WinUAE to boot from this and you'll be good to go
Old 13 February 2008, 22:33   #5
NLS
Ancient User

now this is really confusing and difficult to follow if someone never used an amiga before... I doubt it could be "taught" through a forum thread
Old 14 February 2008, 16:11   #6
AmazeO XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braddo View Post
Those disks are designed to be installed into a Workbench installation. If you don't wish to create a hardfile and install Workbench, a ready to use hardfile for the game can be found here:

http://www.planetemu.net/index.php?s...owrom&id=82935

Simply configure WinUAE to boot from this and you'll be good to go
Alright then, mate. I've got the file. I've booted up my WinUAE. Now, how would I get it to run. I see the option to add a "hardfile" under "hardware -> hard drives" and if I click that I have a "Path" area to add a file to, a "Filesys" to add a file to, etc etc.

So, how do I get this all running? I tried adding the hardfile to the "path" part, and tried to boot it, but I just got the amiga screen again

http://i31.tinypic.com/sg4uo4.jpg

So... what do I do from here? Thanks for all the help, by the way.

Old 16 February 2008, 13:57   #7
Hewitson

Filesystem should be FFS, thats about all I can think of as I don't use UAE and have no idea what options it has when setting up a hardfile

Unlikely, but maybe the hardfile isn't bootable. Try booting from a WB disk and seeing if the HD is detected.
Old 17 February 2008, 02:30   #8
AmazeO XD

Thanks for the help, but I give up. It's really not worth it. Lol.

Old 17 February 2008, 10:43   #9
so.

I don't think you can simply boot from the hardfile with only kickstart 1.3. This page suggest you need the FastFileSystem file in the roms directory. You can get it from the Workbench disk.
Old 17 February 2008, 11:48   #10
Hewitson

Does a hardfile not have a RDB? :/
Old 18 February 2008, 12:45   #11
NLS
Ancient User

Amaze I agree with you.

The only reason I would look into it (if I were in your shoes - and I am not) is just to get the overall feeling of how this whole thing worked (like we did because WE HAD TO, back then)...