English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 31 July 2009, 19:26   #121
Adropac2
Zone Friend

T2 is generous though with it's lives for the time thing to really be a bother.T2 is an easy enough game to defeat with a ton of lives to boot, with score being the main target

I can't question the balance issue but it's not something that would even bother me considering how casually i play T2 anyway

The easy nature that is T2 means score is the main incentive once you've played it enough times to rack up 20 or so lives and you just tend to sit back and enjoy the atmosphere

T2 is more laid back so i guess those wanting to die more might prefer T1

The absolute T2 highlight for me is the perfect ship sections with it's awesome music and stunning arcade feel - nothing touches how great this feels each time

T1 is nice enough though i'm not one for it's cold atmosphere personally
Old 01 August 2009, 05:59   #122
AB Positive
kachou ON!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adropac2 View Post
T2 is generous though with it's lives for the time thing to really be a bother.T2 is an easy enough game to defeat with a ton of lives to boot, with score being the main target

I can't question the balance issue but it's not something that would even bother me considering how casually i play T2 anyway

The easy nature that is T2 means score is the main incentive once you've played it enough times to rack up 20 or so lives and you just tend to sit back and enjoy the atmosphere

T2 is more laid back so i guess those wanting to die more might prefer T1

The absolute T2 highlight for me is the perfect ship sections with it's awesome music and stunning arcade feel - nothing touches how great this feels each time

T1 is nice enough though i'm not one for it's cold atmosphere personally

I think this is where we differ in play style....

T1 is easy to me. I have no problem with it. I've yet to beat it, but I've gotten close a lot - it's now just a matter of time.

T2... I can't get past the second stage and in fact have trouble making it THAT far.

I've yet to see the third stage, period. I've given T1 a lot of play but T2's come close. I don't know. All I can say is T2 is really hard for me. *shrugs*
Old 01 August 2009, 18:18   #123
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB Positive View Post
I think this is where we differ in play style....

T1 is easy to me. I have no problem with it. I've yet to beat it, but I've gotten close a lot - it's now just a matter of time.

T2... I can't get past the second stage and in fact have trouble making it THAT far.

I've yet to see the third stage, period. I've given T1 a lot of play but T2's come close. I don't know. All I can say is T2 is really hard for me. *shrugs*
Fair enough, iv'e never completed T1 but have got to the last stage.T1 feels closer to Aliens from which i guess a lot of inspiration cam from(that and quite a few other games too) and it has that very cold lonely atmosphere which in games puts me off a little - obviously just a preference thing

T2 has a number of lives scattered through it's levels if you don't mind exploring and these are worth stocking up on if you're having trouble so far
Old 02 August 2009, 05:07   #124
AB Positive
kachou ON!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adropac2 View Post
Fair enough, iv'e never completed T1 but have got to the last stage.T1 feels closer to Aliens from which i guess a lot of inspiration cam from(that and quite a few other games too) and it has that very cold lonely atmosphere which in games puts me off a little - obviously just a preference thing

T2 has a number of lives scattered through it's levels if you don't mind exploring and these are worth stocking up on if you're having trouble so far
I guess I have to look them up... I think I've found three in the first level, and no clue on the second but I barely get into it to find out. I know there were a TON of one ups in T1 - I usually had 26 or so by the the time I hit the first "shmup" stage.

Which does being me to one of my nitpicks on T1 - the second shooting stage is really just the first one, backwards.

But anyway - how many lives do you usually get up to after the first few levels in T2? I could use more than 5 if I want to get through it
Old 02 August 2009, 06:39   #125
Amiga1992

If you are not alone, you SHOULD be alone in that dark, wet, painful corner of the Amiga world, where people like you exist!
:P
Old 02 August 2009, 07:44   #126
demoniac

The longer beam is available in T2. You just start off low and after power-ups it goes off screen. Use the Subway trainer if you want to see it quickly.

T2 also has an Alien stage.
Old 02 August 2009, 07:47   #127
s2325
Zone Friend

Yes, but sometimes when alien grabs you it's possible that you will respawn in the wall. Maybe it's just bad crack.
Old 02 August 2009, 08:00   #128
AB Positive
kachou ON!

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoniac View Post
The longer beam is available in T2. You just start off low and after power-ups it goes off screen. Use the Subway trainer if you want to see it quickly.

T2 also has an Alien stage.

I was able to get it that far today - and somehow I think it might have helped get me past stage 2 finally! I made it to I think stage four?

Now that I'm seeing more of the game I can see where you guys like 2 more - the underwater bit was really damn cool - multiplied by the fact that I usually HATE "water levels". That's like a double-reverse cool or something

I'm finding I do better when I treat Bounce to be like the poison mushroom in Super Mario Bros. 2 (j) where you DON'T want it. When I focus on Laser and Multi and keep my beam long I do better.

And yes, it's so much better to be able to crouch with the beam. If someone could hack that capability into T1 I might never leave the Amiga off... or leave my room...

This is growing to be my favorite miggy series so I enjoy the debate. I might have to play 3 just to see what my reaction would be. I've watched plays of it and wow - having a claw instead of a beam... worries me.
Old 02 August 2009, 08:33   #129
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
This is growing to be my favorite miggy series so I enjoy the debate.
Yay!
I really like Turrican 1 aswell and it's still a great game. Just wanted to point out that's not only about the graphics, why I like T2 better. Guess it's mainly because of the rocket backpack levels that I never really felt in love with the first one But that's just a matter of taste and the important thing is that you like Turrican

Quote:
I might have to play 3 just to see what my reaction would be. I've watched plays of it and wow - having a claw instead of a beam... worries me.
It should... Guess it's one of these 'Hey now that we make a game for the Genesis, there has to be a new feature! Hmm...' things It's not only that there's no beam anymore, but also that the controls for the claw feel just 'wrong' Well, it's still worth a look.
Old 05 August 2009, 06:52   #130
AB Positive
kachou ON!

Alli's quick review of "Turrican 3":

I see what you mean by the claw controls being... wrong. It's just not right. I see what they were going for and once you actually are on the claw and swinging it's ok but...

Yeah. Getting it hooked on anything, getting off the thing - super awkward.

If the claw mechanics somehow got fixed... it could've really been a sweet game. I see what they were going for but no - didn't quite work.
Old 05 August 2009, 09:06   #131
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

It's sad but true Also I find the level design a bit more repetitive than 2 or even 1 Still I would like to see how a version with the beam would play
Old 05 August 2009, 09:29   #132
s2325
Zone Friend

Here is longplay from NEC PC Engine version: [ Show youtube player ] Now I think Atari ST version is slightly better.
Old 05 August 2009, 16:41   #133
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
Here is longplay from NEC PC Engine version: [ Show youtube player ] Now I think Atari ST version is slightly better.
The PC-Engine Turrican is on a 256KB HuCard. What were they thinking? Aaah the beloved Code Monkeys.
Old 05 August 2009, 17:54   #134
AB Positive
kachou ON!

It's a miracle they got a PC Engine turrican at all at that size. I had the delight of playing that version recently. I'll take Amiga, thanks.
Old 05 August 2009, 18:13   #135
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
I see what you mean by the claw controls being... wrong. It's just not right. I see what they were going for and once you actually are on the claw and swinging it's ok but...
I think the controls are not the problem here, I mean - if I could lean them - everybody can, no?
The real problem is that T3 feels way too different from the first two. From the beginning it gives the impression it is the Turrican as it always was, people assume they're going to play another sequel and then it confuses them with the hook-thinkgy...
My advise? Forget it's name is Turrican!

Sure, even because I've played T3 as the first one in the series before the other two, I consider it worse then those, but I still love it.
Old 05 August 2009, 18:28   #136
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Turrican 3 is a ported console game (MD Mega Turrican). Of course it feels different. The gameplay is more linear.
Old 05 August 2009, 22:32   #137
AB Positive
kachou ON!

I wonder, are the claw controls better on the Genesis? On the miggy you get only two buttons, but Sega had 3 minimum available. Maybe the extra button helps with control?

Today I learned you can use the Alt key to toss a grenade in T1. So THAT's how you use those things!
Old 05 August 2009, 22:34   #138
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Today I learned you can use the Alt key to toss a grenade in T1. So THAT's how you use those things!
http://hol.abime.net/1533/manual
Old 05 August 2009, 22:54   #139
s2325
Zone Friend

I saw today that in MegaDrive game Sagaia shield is very similar (even too similar) to shield in "spaceship levels" in Turrican 2.

(screenshot from Master System version)
Old 05 August 2009, 23:47   #140
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
I wonder, are the claw controls better on the Genesis? On the miggy you get only two buttons, but Sega had 3 minimum available. Maybe the extra button helps with control?
The Genesis version is superior in general. Of course the Amiga music sounds a bit better.