English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 18 January 2007, 20:08   #1
CU_AMiGA
Banned

Amiga 4000 HD LED Problem

Hi

I have recently acquired an Amiga 4000. I have noticed recently that the HD light seems to be permenantly on, as if the HD is always being accessed. So i unplugged both HD and FDD and switch on so the Amiga 4000 appears with the Workbench disk screen. Here the HD light is still on, but after a few minutes it starts to blink (as if an HD was being accessed) and then the LED goes blank like it should do. I dunno why it is doing this, it never used to when i first got it!!! The only reason i can think of is because i wired my SD/FF to the BMON incorrectly (the VGA ribbon cable). But when i done that i just got the flashy green LED light thing as if an error happened and i thought nothing of it and correct the cable. Having said that, the HD and FDD can still be accessed so it aint a super problem just a nag. I have a Super Buster 11, KS 3.1, 16MB mobo mem and a CSMK3 with 128mb installed. Anyone got a solution to this? HELP!

Regards
Old 18 January 2007, 20:35   #2
keropi

maybe u have plugged the led pins wrong???
Old 18 January 2007, 21:05   #3
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
maybe u have plugged the led pins wrong???
Can you do that? I dont think so. An LED is like a diode, it only lets current go one way, if you connect it backwards it does nothing.

I think you may have accidentally polarised the resistor R905 which is the current limiting resistor for the hard drive LED. It should have 2.7k Ohm without any IDE Drive attached. If the value of this resistor is too low the LED will always be lit.

That said... it doesnt explain why it goes back to normal after a while.... My A4000D Rev B. is in bits at the moment so I cannot advise.

But what does it matter if everything else still works?

Once you get an Ultra-wide SCSI hard drive you'll want to connect the HD LED directly to your CSMKIII
Old 19 January 2007, 00:05   #4
CU_AMiGA
Banned

Hi

Thanks for the replies. I didn't unplug the LED wires in the first place so can't be that. alexh, you said i may have polarised the resistor R905 whatever that is. Could i have done this when i done the sd/ff to BMON wrong? I will feel like a right berk if i did! But it sounds like i can get it replaced easily. Where would i get one from and would anyone be gracious enough to do this mod? Where is the resistor located on the mobo?

Regards
Old 19 January 2007, 00:07   #5
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I dunno I read about someone else with similar problem on usenet.

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/com...1b7cd6b59a2e3a

I am still uncertain this is your problem cos it should be on permanently and not go off after a period of time.

The Budgie chip is the one with IDE in it and that is not one of the chips that you clipped the SD/FF to!

I am actually amazed that the Hard drive LED could flash because you connected the wires to the BMON wrong!

Last edited by alexh; 19 January 2007 at 00:12.
Old 19 January 2007, 02:13   #6
CU_AMiGA
Banned

Hi

Well i connected the sd/ff exactly right its just when i 1st connected the ribbon cable from the sd/ff to the BMON i didn't get it right and i got the blibking green LED error. So i immediatly swicthed off the A4000 and switched the ribbon cable. The Amiga now outputs ok as i said above but the HD LED light stays on for a while and then starts blinkering like an HD would be read and then it turns off. I have no idea whether it was the above that has done this or not. I will have another closer look tomorrow and hopefully i'll be more lucky. I hope it aint the oh so beloved CSMK3!

Regards,
Old 19 January 2007, 02:23   #7
superBuster
superFreak

Send a message via AIM to superBuster
did sopmebody mention that is very easy to accedendly connect he power led to the hd connector and vs. versa? It won't damge anything so don't worry adds are you will cur your finger thou as the case is badly/cheaply designed (for upgarading and tinkering) get in there and swap em out. It has nothing to do with the drive or anything just followthe little cable form the fascia to the MB and swap them out.
Old 19 January 2007, 02:35   #8
CU_AMiGA
Banned

@superBuster

Nah it is not that. I tried it anyway just incase and get the same result - apart from it is the green LED that is the HD!

Cheers