English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 02 March 2004, 20:49   #1
abelthorne

Heavy cpu usage - again

A few monthes ago, I managed to run WinUAE quite correctly on my Duron 800 mhz and was able to play whdload games with no speed or sound problem (I had this kind of problems but they were fixed when I tuned down emulation to a 68020 instead of a 68040, which may be too complicated to emulate for my cpu).

I hadn't have time to use WinUAE during some weeks and I started using it again about 1 or 2 weeks ago.

Although I hadn't changed anything to my configurations, cpu usage seemed to have increased a lot.

I installed the latest version (0.8.25) with no changes.

Currently, I am unable to play a single game, cpu usage oscillating between 100-200%, even on a A500 configuration.

Also, if the emulation is started in fullscreen, cpu usage seems to get really high, almost hanging the emulation (if I press ctrl+f12 to go in windowed mode - or even alt+tab or ctrl+alt+suppr in order to kill the process -, I have to wait about 30 seconds before it switches).

When I start the emulation in windowed mode, it works better, but although cpu stays at 100% (because JIT is activated, I guess), all seems to load slowly, or be hung, and it runs quicker as soon as I press alt-tab. This does not apply to loading only : when I'va managed to load workbench and open a hardisk, the content starts to display very slowly, but if I press alt+tab, it suddenly displays all icons at once

As it seemed to work really better weeks ago and I didn't change anything special in WinUAE, I guess this may come either from a resident program conflicting with WinUAE, or some hardware driver.

I've tried to quit all the resident programs I could, but it doesn't change anything...

I've also tried to reinstall WinUAE.

Are there known conflicts between WinUAE and some other pieces of software that could help me locating the origin of my problem ?
Old 02 March 2004, 23:49   #2
Error

Send a message via ICQ to Error
Quote:
I have to wait about 30 seconds before it switches
I've been wondering if it has nothing to do with memory *OR* some unwanted software I have pretty same problem recently, but not only with WinUAE... this includes explorer as well sometimes. btw how much mem left do you have after running these..?

I better check for some good av software...
Old 03 March 2004, 08:51   #3
WintermuteX

Even if the GUI is ugly, try this one:

http://www.safer-networking.org

Combine it with ad-aware (freeware edition):

http://www.lavasoft.de

Maybe you got infected by some "funny" piece of software lookin' what you are doing on the net or offering some very "special" deals .... most of this crap-ware is also coded crapy
Old 03 March 2004, 10:07   #4
abelthorne

I've already checked my system with spybot and ad-aware with no problem (only the usual alexia key from Windows, the gator part of my divx codec and the cookies set by every website in the world).

Quote:
I've been wondering if it has nothing to do with memory
Mmm... this may be a point : I've been given a 256 mb of sdram not so long ago. My system seems to work fine, but I guess the new one is a PC-100 and the two others (older) are PC-133. I'll try to use memtest to see if the ram is fully working. Or maybe it's simply something to set in the bios ?

Quote:
btw how much mem left do you have after running these..?
Where can I see how much ram is used/left ? And what do you mean by "these" : WinUAE ? Explorer ? Both ?
Old 03 March 2004, 10:40   #5
WintermuteX

As Memory Tester i would suggest:

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~alegr...ad/memtest.htm
and
http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

The first one is a real memtester and a very good one in my opinion .. just run it with parameters /PREHEAT /READTWICE /SPEED
The later one is a prime number calculator .. there is a build in stress test .. this mode is very good to find unstabilities in your system.

If you find a corrupt portion of memory, than it might be you can help yourself by setting the memory speed parameters to something slower ..
Usualy you find in the BIOS under a section called something like "Chipset" DRAM Timing values .. "RAS-to-CAS Latency", "CAS Latency" and "RAS Latency" are the most important ones .. set them to a HIGHER value to give the memory a little break during operation .. if they are set to 2-2-2 then try 3-2-2 first .. "RAS-to-CAS" is a more aggressive option .. if this doesn't help try 3-3-3 (3-2-3 and 3-3-2 are seldomly solving problems 3-2-2 couldn't solve .. and sometimes the memory is working "on the edge" failing every now and then).
There is also a parameter "refresh" .. a LOWER value means slower and safer operation in this case. This parameter is very sensitive. The speedgain from setting the value higher isn't worth the risk .. set it to 15 microseconds (lowest value). Sometimes there is also a "Command Latency" value .. a value of 1 works in 90% of times .. but you can try slowing it to 2.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: for best results i would advise you start the AleGr Memorytester from a clean DOS Disk (any Windows 9x/ME Install Disk would do .. just break the boot operation with F8) .. under windows there might be more traffic on the northbridge, but also there is the possibility you miss the defective part of the memory because the defective part got allready allocated by the system. (and the system works fine because by "accident" the defective portion is "filled" with meaningless information or just allocated but not used)

And about the question how much memory is used: if you run Windows 2000 or Windows XP start the Taskmanager (ctrl-alt-del) and look under Systemperformance how much REAL memory is eaten up.

Last edited by WintermuteX; 03 March 2004 at 10:47.
Old 03 March 2004, 11:32   #6
abelthorne

Thanks a lot for all the infos !

I'll try these as soon as possible.