English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 23 August 2022, 19:47   #1
naujoks

A1200 and 16GB SD card problem

I'm trying to set up WDHLoad on my A1200 and a 16GB SD card (with an SD to IDE adapter).
My problem is that I can't get the SD card partitioned to show the complete 16GB.
I've tried several tutorials, all of them miss out on some important steps though.
Here's what I've done: loaded an up to date scsi.device driver at startup (and made sure it's loaded after a reset), used PFS3 with pfs3_aio. When it comes to partitioning the drive though, HDToolBox never lets me select partitions larger than 3.7GB or so. When I set up 2 partitions, the boot partition 250MB and the the second as big as the max cylinders allow me, the data partition is shown to be something like 2700MB large. I went ahead and installed a lot of games anyway, and funnily enough it shows that the drive is 7% full, yet the free space shown seems to adjust and become MORE! I can run games just fine, but after I unpacked the first load of .lha packed games and the rebooted, the Amiga complains on start up that I should insert volume HD1. When I click cancel, the HD1 drive gets showns as normal though. However, the whole Games drawer is not visible when I double click on the drive. Yet, when I change "view" to "names", it DOES show the drawer, and all the files are there.
When I want to let the Amiga look for games files, it can't find any games, even though the path in "Assign" is properly set. I can start the games alright by navigating to it, clicking on the respective drawer.

Can I actually get HDToolBox to show the actual size of the HD1 drive, something like 14000MB, or is it always just some fantasy number?

I would like the correct size of the HD1 drive to be shown, the Games drawer not to be invisible, and not have the "insert HD1 drive" message on startup.

If anyone could tell me what I'm doing wrong, I would be grateful.
Old 23 August 2022, 20:16   #2
Daedalus

It depends on the version of HDToolbox. If you're using the version from 3.1 or before, it can't show the correct size on drives or partitions above 4GB (and neither can Workbench on partitions above 2GB). You can enter the cylinders manually and that should still work though.

The free space becoming more is probably the limitation of Workbench not correctly calculating the free space because it's over 2GB. Once it gets to a point where there's less than 2GB free, the calculation starts working again and reflects the actual space free.

Regarding the partition or drawer not always showing up properly, are you sure the scsi.device is being loaded properly on every boot? Typically, a second reboot is needed as part of the loading process, so the machine then boots using the new scsi.device. When you're having issues with things not showing up, check the version of scsi.device in use to be sure.
Old 23 August 2022, 20:42   #3
naujoks

Right after boot "version scsi. device" is showing me 43.45, so I'm assuming it's correctly loaded.
I just noticed that Dopus shows me 11.7G(B) for HD1:, so I hope that means the drive is properly formatted and I can continue to shove games on to it. Btw, am I crazy to push ALL games on to that card?

Now I'd like to know why the 'Games' drawer icon is missing and how I can get rid of the "Insert HD1: into any drive" message on startup.
Old 24 August 2022, 22:14   #4
Vstech

What version of kickstart do you have?
Old 24 August 2022, 22:39   #5
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by naujoks View Post
If anyone could tell me what I'm doing wrong, I would be grateful.
Do not ignore all those sticky threads in this forum.
Old 24 August 2022, 22:44   #6
Vstech

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Where is the like button in this forum?
Old 25 August 2022, 11:18   #7
naujoks

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
If a sticky amounts to 25 pages in itself, it's not that useful.
Old 25 August 2022, 11:22   #8
naujoks

I did manage to partition the 16GB SD card properly now.
HDToolbox never showed the correct amount of free space for HD1, but Dopus does.
I moved all games onto that partition, so that's good.
However, I'm still getting the "Insert volume HD1: into any drive" on startup, and I can't make the "Games" drawer appear as an icon. Everything is working, so I guess this is just cosmetics, but it would be nice to get it sorted.
Old 25 August 2022, 21:53   #9
thomas

Quote:
If a sticky amounts to 25 pages in itself, it's not that useful.
You can at least read the first post of each thread. People put much effort in collecting all the information and consolidate it in one place.

You can still ignore the discussion below it.

Quote:
However, I'm still getting the "Insert volume HD1: into any drive" on startup
Make sure that the command to load the updated scsi.device is the first one in startup-sequence. Access to HD1 is not possible before that.

Quote:
I can't make the "Games" drawer appear as an icon.
Make sure that Games.info is a supported file type or just delete it.
Old 26 August 2022, 07:09   #10
naujoks

I have the line

C:LoadModule DEVS:scsi.device

as the very first line in the startup-sequence