English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 25 October 2011, 04:33   #1
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

68 pin SCSI HDD in A590?

Hi all,

I have a 68-50 pin adaptor, but HD Toolbox says there is no drive installed.

The A590 works with a Quantum 50 pin drive, so I must be doing something wrong with the 68 pin.

Any tricks or tips I should know?

PZ.
Old 25 October 2011, 04:46   #2
lost_loven

if the scsi drive has no terminator, does the adapter have a high byte termination on it?
does the system try to boot before the drive spins up? I had that prob. scsi prefs fixed that on my a3k. Scsi ID conflict?

lost
Old 25 October 2011, 06:43   #3
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

No termination jumper on the HDD & nothing on the adaptor either.

Drive spins up before the system "starts".

Please advise what you did re SCSI prefs?

Shouldn't be any ID conflict, as it's jumpered to device 0, just like my working one & when I tried it, there were no other devices connected.

Thanks for the reply too

PZ.
Old 25 October 2011, 07:11   #4
Jope
-

What firmware do you have in the A590?
Old 25 October 2011, 07:57   #5
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Hi Jope,

Just upgraded to V7.0

This drive has a lot of jumper pins on it...should I post a picture?

*EDIT* - Added a picture:

Not sure what a lot of these do, so maybe I need to jump one or more of them? But of course, which ones & why?

PZ.

Last edited by Fingerlickin_B; 25 October 2011 at 08:37.
Old 25 October 2011, 08:48   #6
Jope
-

Out of those the only jumpers I'd set are the addr jumpers (configure your desired address or leave them all out in case it's the single drive ;-), motor start enable and force single ended.
Old 25 October 2011, 08:51   #7
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Thanks, I'll go try those now!

*UPDATE* - No good, having Motor Start Enable jumped stops the drive spooling up (wierd?) & Force Single Ended alone still no drive detected. Both together, of course same, as drive doesn't spin.

PZ.

Last edited by Fingerlickin_B; 25 October 2011 at 09:03.
Old 25 October 2011, 11:05   #8
Jope
-

Ah, too bad. I guess you'll need to turn your attention to a different drive.
Old 25 October 2011, 11:18   #9
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

Try jumpering "TP to bus" (termination power on I think) and possibly "Force Single Ended" - that might get you somewhere.
Old 25 October 2011, 11:41   #10
source
Zone Friend

Dumb question, but have you tried both drives at the same time. Set the 50 pin to device 0 and use tje termibation on it. If it is a termination prob, then it should show up.
Old 25 October 2011, 11:50   #11
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Tried all suggestions above & no dice.

Seems this drive will go on to serve a new purpose...target practice

Can anyone suggest a model of drive they have tried that a: works & b: doesn't sound like a steam train (like my Quantum LOL)?

PZ.
Old 25 October 2011, 16:44   #12
orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingerlickin_B View Post
No termination jumper on the HDD & nothing on the adaptor either.
you should have given up at that point. or get a better adapter.
Old 31 October 2011, 08:31   #13
uridium

Hey. Only just noticed this thread. (Sorry). I have a A590 on my A500 with 68<->50pin wide to narrow converter. Works well.

Firstly your going to NEED to set the force SE and use motor start enable jumpers. Set the scsi ID to 3 or something. If you set the 5th position jumper it's for wide drives. Wide allows 16 SCSI id's and is 16bit wide operating at speeds of 10-40Mbps (bits/not bytes) a second. You have narrow SE on the a590 party mix which means it will do FAST-5 standard which is 5Mbps, at 8bit (narrow), and single ended.

The motor start/delay motor start is useful for not browning out your power supply the moment it comes on. I found that I needed to use a separate PC power supply for it AND! with delay motor start (so it won't spin up till the scsi card correctly probes which ever scsi ID/LUN it is on), it doesn't do it quick enough so you end up booting.. it misses the boat ..doesn't detect spins up and goes READY! ...a590 goes "Who are you, and what do you want?" (tm). So you end up boot.. spin up.. ctrl+amiga+amiga ..and it finds it 2nd time. So.. motor start enable = good and powered up first then the amiga. Works like a troooper then.

The drives I like to use are the IBM DDRS series. My main drive is a DDRS-34560 (4.5gb). This one lets me format, detect and fire up without any double-clutch boots with wb3.1, 8mb FAST and with V7 ROM's (get some!).

My jumpers set are left pin 1, right pin 12 on the underside of the drive, 10,9,8 so it sits on SCSI ID 0. The controller is set to ID7.

Boots beautifuly, is quiet and sits inside the case.

I also have a Digital/DEC BA350 shelf. I would heartily encourage one of these and a scsi DVDROM out of an old SUN 280R or one of the ones from a 220R. Again, works like a trooper. The Digtital BA350 (not 356..they were wide!) case houses upto 8 disks in spud brackets and has it's own power supply and brilliant air-flow. It talks narrow and works beautifully and in addition you can go and play with things like tape drives.

I have exaclty that ST813406 drive. It worked fine for me, but it's disk parameters are too big and the controller corrupted the file system once I filled past 4gb (2gb partitions) and yes.. it sounded like it wanted to take off into orbit. They do work. So, I would encourage you to get a converter, double check your cables (pinch some from work for test purposes to eliminate this problem) and maybe track down some IBM DDRS old disk drives for quietness.

P.S Avoid the "Scorpion" drives from IBM. Nice and quick but noisey and massive heat.. they go chernobyl in the little enclosures, get so hot that they corrupt data and die fast

Hope this helps.

Al.

Edit: P.S.S Check your termination and don't put things on the same SCSI ID as some other device.

Last edited by prowler; 31 October 2011 at 21:55. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged; please use the Edit button.
Old 31 October 2011, 12:11   #14
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Cool man, thanks for the reply.

I've since boxed it all away, but looks like I'll have to dig it out again

PZ.