English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 21 November 2004, 19:51   #1
amifreak

problems with squirrel scsi cdrom

i have this problem AMIGA 1200 and squirrel scsi and a TOSHIBA CDROM DRIVE it wont register on the workbench screen it wont show up in SCSIMOUNTER either and when i click the cd0 icon it says cd0: already mounted what could be wrong? can i do something in hdtoolbox if so and if so what? i have installed squirrel software but it did not help could it have to do with the termination device in the back of the drive? please help me again thank you.
Old 21 November 2004, 21:06   #2
Galaxy

If it is your only SCSI device, or the last device on the SCSI chain you'll need to make sure it is terminated.
Old 21 November 2004, 22:54   #3
lloyd
Mehh :D

I've just done this - thanks to Galaxy, I've managed to install my Squirrel SCSI interface onto my A1200. The CD drive is a Teac CDR drive. IF when you install the Squirell you select the emulate CDTV option, you should get the CD drive mounted and useable everytime you boot. You do NOT need to use a CD filesystem etc, it should work "as is" with no changes needed to the Squirell software. If it still isn't working, then you either need to terminate the last device on your SCSI chain, or get it (the CD drive) tested. It even seems to autoboot from the CD drive so long as there is a bootable CD disk in the drive without problems.

The Squirrel and CD ROM DOES work, and even tho it's a tad slow, it's brilliant to be able to use all my CDs again.
Old 22 November 2004, 10:28   #4
amifreak

problems with squirrel scsi cdrom

yes but how do terminate the drive i have got a terminator in the back of the drive but it seems to be lose! how do i terminate the drive again?
Old 22 November 2004, 10:54   #5
lloyd
Mehh :D

many drives have a jumper setting at the rear of the drive - simply set this jumper.

Terminators are simply resistor networks but they shouldn't be loose.

Tell me the full name of the drive and I'll try and get the jumper settings for you
Old 22 November 2004, 11:59   #6
amifreak

i only know it a toshiba but the jumber is set set to 2
Old 22 November 2004, 15:37   #7
amifreak

how can i find the exact drive name when the drive dosent show up in scsimounter any idea i appreciate your help.
Old 22 November 2004, 15:59   #8
alewis
Monochrome and 8 bit

By looking for any drive details on the unit. If external, these will be on the rear or bottom of the unit. If internal, these will be on the rear, or most likely the top.

I think you may have termination and SCSI ID confused. Unplug the power and SCSI cable from the cd, power up the amiga, and note the SCSI Id of the surf unit. Power down.

Now (assuming it is internal), most SCSI CDs at the rear look like this

AUDIO ID/TERM/SIZE INTERFACE POWER
:::: ::::: ::::::::::::::::::::::::: oooo

crap diagram, but shows the pins. ID/T/S may have another jumper pad called Term Power.

The first three jumpers in ID/T/S set the device ID, between 0 and 7. You need to set this to a unique number for each device on the bus. So, the surf will have one, you need to assign another. How, well, look at the first (reading L to R) ::: in ID/T/S the leftmost : = 4 the middle : = 2 and the rightmost = : A jumper on each : would = 7 (4 plus 2 plus 1). A jumper on the middle only = 2. A jumper on the ends only = 5.

External units tended to have a small wheel type thing which one rotated with a screw driverto set ID. setting ID with these is quite obvious!

Now, termination. Only the last device in a SCSI chain needs termnation, and its there to prevent the signals hitting the end of the chain and reflecting back down it. On-device termination is an abomination. Originally, you needed to set a jumper and fit resistor packs, some need the TermPower (T) jumper set, which controlled whether the device provided term power, or the cable provided it. Best thing to do? dont bother. Instead, purchase a multi-drop SCSI cable and a terminator to fit at the end. Active terminator is best. If its an external box, then all narrow SCSI external boxes have a second interface (to daisy chain a lot of devices). Fit an active terminator inot the open interface, and ensure it is clipped on.
Old 22 November 2004, 19:48   #9
amifreak

its working now!! it was the termination thanks for all your help friends
Old 22 November 2004, 21:18   #10
alewis
Monochrome and 8 bit

no probs. SCSI is easy enough once you get into the ins and outs of termination. And then learn when not to bother and use terminated cables. Which is why SCSI-3 onwards devices are not terminated, cables are.