English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 17 April 2011, 22:57   #1
orange

about compact flash adapter

Perhaps I already asked this one. If so, sorry..
I have few of those CF adapters. But they plug straight to A4000 mobo. Could that cause too much strain on connector, over time, since IDE cable is lighter? BTW, do CF cards draw less power on both +5 and +12VDC ?
Old 17 April 2011, 23:08   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

I don't think you need worry that CF adapters which plug straight into the motherboard's IDE header would cause significantly more strain on the connector than an IDE cable over time. They are very light and the IDE header is quite rugged.

And CF cards are bound to draw less power on both supply rails because they are only solid state electronics lacking any moving parts. Indeed, I am not sure that CF cards require a +12VDC line at all.
Old 18 April 2011, 04:56   #3
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
CF units are +5V or 3.3V only.
Old 18 April 2011, 19:31   #4
gehtjanx
Banned

Hello,

You can, if you like, use slot cf cards (where expansion boards have the metal on the back, not sure how called in engliah) if you have enought free zorro spaces or an "internal only" card. You then can even exchange the cf card or use on PC etc. I have those and like them because cf card is accessable and no need for any modification.

Mine have a master/slave jumper and also 5 v and 3,3 v jumper. They are useable on both 40 and 44 pin IDE but they do require an ide cable, they not plug onto the ide on-board directly.

Hope that gives you an idea about other possibilities on cf card adapters useage.

gehtjanx