English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 23 March 2020, 13:01   #1
earok

Experimental Alien 3 update

I haven't been feeling the greatest lately, so I thought I might try something new to try and get out of the rut I'm in.

I did a couple of small changes to the Alien 3 slave (zoned, along with source), it retains both the trainer and the two button fix from Galahad's original, now there's an alternative CD32 pad mode with these buttons configured:

- Red: Fire
- Blue: Jump
- Green: Change weapon
- Play: Pause
- Forward+Reverse: Skip level

I'm not going to pretend I did a good job, it's an ugly hack - I've never even really attempted to update a WHDLoad slave before. Maybe someone can tidy it up and make it releasable
Old 23 March 2020, 13:07   #2
Amigajay

Cheers Earok!

Hope you feel better soon, i have many down days too, i expect more people will experience more as this isolation continues.

I try and get out the house, take my dog for a walk, or just go for a walk, it really helps clear the mind and stops the mind for a while at least.

I’m isolated most of the time anyway, but if you need a shoulder send me a pm on here or twitter just to share your thoughts...
Old 23 March 2020, 13:11   #3
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
Cheers Earok!

Hope you feel better soon, i have many down days too, i expect more people will experience more as this isolation continues.

I try and get out the house, take my dog for a walk, or just go for a walk, it really helps clear the mind and stops the mind for a while at least.

I’m isolated most of the time anyway, but if you need a shoulder send me a pm on here or twitter just to share your thoughts...

Thanks mate, I appreciate it. NZ's two days away from lock down for at least a month, and to be honest I'm probably in a better position than most people, but it still sucks like hell.
Old 23 March 2020, 13:14   #4
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by earok View Post
Thanks mate, I appreciate it. NZ's two days away from lock down for at least a month, and to be honest I'm probably in a better position than most people, but it still sucks like hell.
Yeah its a scary thought esp with the lack of food on the store shelves, the UK will prob go into lockdown this week, stupid people continuing to go out and about on crowded beaches, markets, they are like 5 year olds that need to be told or ordered as it seems to not do stuff, crazy.
Old 24 March 2020, 12:19   #5
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
Yeah its a scary thought esp with the lack of food on the store shelves, the UK will prob go into lockdown this week, stupid people continuing to go out and about on crowded beaches, markets, they are like 5 year olds that need to be told or ordered as it seems to not do stuff, crazy.
The pictures I've seen are crazy. It's not that much better here in NZ, though fortunately it's not summer here so there hasn't been crowded beaches, people will line up shoulder-to-shoulder at supermarkets.

Anyway, I did another pass on it, and I've uploaded the slave to the zone.

- Proper tickboxes and such for the trainers on the launch pop up.
- Added trainers for infinite ammo, lives and health (in addition to the already present infinite time trainer).
- Pressing second fire (whether you're using Galahad's default joypad routine or my CD32 option) will enable second button jump, regardless of whether you've remembered to enable it in the options menu or not.

CUSTOM1=1 ;Time trainer
CUSTOM1=2 ;Energy trainer
CUSTOM1=4 ;Ammo trainer
CUSTOM1=8 ;Lives trainer
^the above can be combined, eg CUSTOM1=3 for time and energy

CUSTOM2=1 ;CD32 pad option
Old 24 March 2020, 16:33   #6
Zener

Hi from a country already in lockdown since a week ago

I've tried the game and it is great! Playing with cheats is what I miss the most from the old cracked game disks.

If you add an option to avoid getting hurt by aliens or to one shot them I will be completely happy. Now I end in the floor most times I encounter one, before killing it.
Old 24 March 2020, 20:51   #7
TjLaZer

Tested and working great on A4000/030 and A1200/Vampire 2! Thanks!
Old 28 March 2020, 13:28   #8
earok

Thanks guys!

I've posted another update: https://mega.nz/#F!N34nlABZ!m_VA0klYkqlgVXT5ZNUcsg

- Level select can be made on startup
- As per Zener's suggestion, I had a go to make a trainer so that you don't get knocked back from the aliens. The best I could come up with was make it so that the knock back is instant - you don't get pushed backwards, and you immediately stand up again. Though this may possibly be bugged.

I had a go at making an option for simultaneous music and SFX, the idea was to cut channel 4's instruments and force all SFX to play on channel 4. This *might* have worked, except only music or sfx is in memory at one time - but not both. I'll ask an expert to review the slave before it gets published in any official sense, maybe they'll be interested in solving that particular issue.
Old 28 March 2020, 15:18   #9
jotd
This cat is no more

About music & sfx at the same time, this probably is going to be very tricky.

I'm planning a CD32 release with audio tracks on CD (as I already did for some music OR sfx games). Your slave would be a good base for this.
Old 28 March 2020, 23:59   #10
Wachi

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post

I'm planning a CD32 release with audio tracks on CD (as I already did for some music OR sfx games). Your slave would be a good base for this.
That sounds great!

Last edited by Wachi; 29 March 2020 at 01:00.
Old 30 March 2020, 04:37   #11
earok

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post

I almost had music and SFX going at once, the only real problem was that (since only music OR sfx was loaded into memory), the gun SFX would be random data rather than the actual gun clip. I'm sure it is a problem that can theoretically be solved, but it'd need to have both SFX and Music loaded at once and the pointers pointing to the new memory locations.

Though that's not to say it wouldn't be without problems - it'd need to sacrifice whatever instruments were on channel 4, and you'd also lose simultaneous SFX.

In any case, I would be interested to see an Alien 3 CD music version! Did you have anything in mind for the source soundtrack?
Old 30 March 2020, 06:26   #12
Misclegend
Banned

I think the ideal soundtracks for the cd32 version should be the normal mods of the Amiga floppy version converted to wav
otherwise the megadrive music of this game is another good option,
Old 12 September 2020, 23:12   #13
DaveTaylor

Please release this slave officially. The trainer options are sooooo good!
Old 13 September 2020, 17:53   #14
Wachi

Are you still thinking of making a version for cd32?
Old 13 September 2020, 19:35   #15
DaveTaylor

I played every level and every boss with all trainers activated.
There was not a single bug.

Good job, Earok.

I am still voting for an official release.
Old 15 September 2020, 06:42   #16
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misclegend View Post
I think the ideal soundtracks for the cd32 version should be the normal mods of the Amiga floppy version converted to wav
otherwise the megadrive music of this game is another good option,
Well, amiga mods of the Aliens 3 soundtrack seems to use megadrive sampled FM waves so not that different

Last edited by saimon69; 15 September 2020 at 06:55.