Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 16 February 2020, 00:22   #121
vulture

cool!
Old 16 February 2020, 20:13   #122
Estrayk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bitbubsy View Post
Around a month or longer ago I did some stealth changes to PT2.3F again, and of course I managed to mess some things up!
Loading samples would crash the tracker after a while. I have fixed it now. Also fixed an issue where drawing blank quadrascopes (i.e. no samples playing) would lead to a memory access issue, which the Enforcer debugger would pick up and go nuts about.

https://16-bits.org/PT23F.LHA

Thank you very much.
Old 16 February 2020, 20:13   #123
8bitbubsy

Someone told me that the loop end cursor/pin in the sample editor is not working correctly on samples bigger than 65534 bytes (64K). I'll look into it tomorrow or so.
Old 16 February 2020, 22:27   #124
Marchie

Sorry for the beginner question but I'm stuggling to get samples to play properly on this - I start with 16-bit wav on the PC, downsample to 8-bit, (22, 11 or 8 Khz) drag over to the Amiga and convert to IFF and they are just static noise when I try to play in Protracker.

What am I doing wrong?
Old 16 February 2020, 22:32   #125
8bitbubsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchie View Post
Sorry for the beginner question but I'm stuggling to get samples to play properly on this - I start with 16-bit wav on the PC, downsample to 8-bit, (22, 11 or 8 Khz) drag over to the Amiga and convert to IFF and they are just static noise when I try to play in Protracker.

What am I doing wrong?
Are you sure the converted sample is actually a proper IFF file (should have 8SVX content)? Try loading it in an audio editor to verify this. At least I can load IFF samples in PT2.3F here just fine...
Old 20 February 2020, 20:02   #126
8bitbubsy

Some more fixes to PT2.3F:
Code:
 - Bugfix: Loading an .iff sample longer than 128kB would result in
   131070-(64..256) bytes instead of 131070 bytes.
 - Bugfix: When loading .iff samples, the "DISP:" value in the SAMPLER
   screen would be too big, and thus it whould show overflowed data.
 - Bugfix: Moving the right loop pin (SAMPLER screen) could behave
   strange on samples bigger than $FFFE/65534.

"Final version". I knew it was a bad idea to make a final version, when I just keep adding fixes all the time without bumping up the version number...
Old 25 February 2020, 22:10   #127
Alkaron

Hi there! Thank you for updating and maintaining Protracker!

A request and bug?

When loading a .pp-packed file, PT crash. Dunno if this is a know problem? Earlier versions did not crash while loading a PP-packed module.

Is it possible to add support for wheel-scrolling if using a mouse-adapter such as Cocolino?

Quote:
Some more fixes to PT2.3F:
Code:
 - Bugfix: Loading an .iff sample longer than 128kB would result in
   131070-(64..256) bytes instead of 131070 bytes.
 - Bugfix: When loading .iff samples, the "DISP:" value in the SAMPLER
   screen would be too big, and thus it whould show overflowed data.
 - Bugfix: Moving the right loop pin (SAMPLER screen) could behave
   strange on samples bigger than $FFFE/65534.

"Final version". I knew it was a bad idea to make a final version, when I just keep adding fixes all the time without bumping up the version number...

Last edited by Alkaron; 25 February 2020 at 22:36.
Old 25 February 2020, 22:36   #128
AmiClassic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkaron View Post
When loading a .pp-packed file, PT crash...

I have same problem. PT2.3E work good, 2.3F - freeze.
F like a F(reeze)?
Old 26 February 2020, 09:29   #129
Solskogen

I get an error about unable to load config file. Saving a config file also gives an error...
Old 26 February 2020, 10:19   #130
8bitbubsy

Quote:
When loading a .pp-packed file, PT crash. Dunno if this is a know problem? Earlier versions did not crash while loading a PP-packed module.
I saw your email about this, will get back to this thread if I manage to fix it.

Quote:
Is it possible to add support for wheel-scrolling if using a mouse-adapter such as Cocolino?
I don't know how to program the cocolino, and it would be silly to only implement mouse wheel support for one device if I were to start doing it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmiClassic View Post
I have same problem. PT2.3E work good, 2.3F - freeze.
F like a F(reeze)?
You know, I'm a C programmer... The source code for PT2.3F is just one HUGE file with over 26k lines of 68000 assembly.
I think it's difficult and frustrating to work with this code, and it's quite easy to accidentally create new bugs as I fix things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solskogen View Post
I get an error about unable to load config file. Saving a config file also gives an error...
You need to set the path to where the ProTracker binary is in the SETUP screen (ptdir), or else the config file can't be saved. Loading still ought to work if the config file is in the same directory as the binary. At least it works fine here...
Old 26 February 2020, 11:08   #131
sparhawk

Quote:
You know, I'm a C programmer... The source code for PT2.3F is just one HUGE file with over 26k lines of 68000 assembly.
I think it's difficult and frustrating to work with this code, and it's quite easy to accidentally create new bugs as I fix things...

In the ASM subforum here, there are a lot of asm programmers, so you might get help there if you need it. Is your source somewhere available for download?

BTW: I appreciate what you do here. It's really cool!

Quote:
It might be helpful if you can create a small file that exhibits the problem, and upload it. Also it might be helpful if you describe more exactly what you did. Just loading? Doing some stuff? etc.
Old 26 February 2020, 11:51   #132
8bitbubsy

I fixed the powerpacker crash problem, it was related to a memory allocation having a different block size than the one specified when the memory was free'd. I changed something here at 24.10.2019 which caused this issue.

sparhawk: It's not that I don't know 68k assembly, it's just that it's a low-level mess!
Here's the code: https://16-bits.org/etc/PT23F_src.zip

EDIT: Seems like attempting to save a module as being PowerPacker'ed will lead to "Crunch aborted!" no matter what you do.
This appears to be a problem in PT2.3D as well. I might look into this one day...

Last edited by 8bitbubsy; 26 February 2020 at 20:49.
Old 28 February 2020, 01:15   #133
AmiClassic

Hi
It was a joke, but if it touched You, I'm sorry.
.pp files loading fine.
Thanks for fix.
Old 28 February 2020, 04:15   #134
TDK
oldskool amiga musician??

Thank you. I'm hoping to get the ol' 1200 set up soon so I can try this out. I have a need to get back into oldsk00l again.
Old 02 March 2020, 09:57   #135
Alkaron

Quote:
I fixed the powerpacker crash problem, it was related to a memory allocation having a different block size than the one specified when the memory was free'd. I changed something here at 24.10.2019 which caused this issue.

Sorry for late reply. Been on vacation.

Confirming that loading PP-modules works again. Nice work and thank you again for your support.

- Alkaron
Old 02 March 2020, 17:33   #136
8bitbubsy

So this is embarrassing. A previous PT2.3F fix (20.02.2020) also made raw (headerless) sample loading buggy. It has been fixed now.

Make sure your browser is not downloading an eventual cached copy of PT23F.LHA. The date for PT2.3F inside the .LHA should be 02.03.2020 17:03

Source code:
https://16-bits.org/etc/PT23F_src.zip
Old 02 March 2020, 18:01   #137
sparhawk

Thaniks for your updates! When you fix bugs like the above,m are you also fixing them in the player? I noticed that there is the replayer source also included.
Old 02 March 2020, 18:05   #138
8bitbubsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparhawk View Post
Thaniks for your updates! When you fix bugs like the above,m are you also fixing them in the player? I noticed that there is the replayer source also included.
I don't touch the replayer too much because I want it to sound accurate, even when it come to quirks.

If I ever do, then yes I update the supplied replayer source code too.
Old 07 March 2020, 13:33   #139
eryngi

Hello.. (this is my first post on here, recently got an A1200, first time owning an Amiga.. I love it.)
Thanks so much for all this work on PT, 8bitbubsy! So cool.

I have a question - as far as I can tell, there's no way in PT (or OctaMed, or any other Amiga tracker i've tried yet!) to make it NOT auto-scroll while playing a song.. unless I'm missing something.. so it's just impossible to edit at the same time as it's playing - a workflow i've become accustomed to on PC trackers.. I'm finding it incredibly difficult to get used to Amiga trackers for this reason..

Any idea if it'd be possible (trivial? heh) to make this change, in the code? Or would it need a lot of rewriting? Just been looking through your source code..got it assembling in asm-one.. but, I have no idea what I'm doing with asm yet I'm a C coder..

so basically:

I'd love it if the editing position could be made independent of the playback position,
so when you hit play, it starts playing exactly as it does now in every way,
except the cursor doesn't move and the pattern doesn't scroll, playback is "in the background"..
so you can still move around, enter notes, go to different patterns etc..

Is it possible?
Is it something that could be done with a few code changes? Or would it need an expert and lots of work... (I guess it's probably the second one..)

I'd love a hint as to whether I could mess around with the code and potentially hack this in...Or, if you're taking feature requests... =) Sorry if this has already been covered somewhere in this thread, I tried searching but didn't find anything...

Thanks!
Old 07 March 2020, 13:46   #140
8bitbubsy

It's very possible, but I'm not sure if I want to implement it... It would probably require more playback flags, and a ton of routines would have to be modified. Since you are the first one suggesting this to me, I don't think it's worth my time digging deep into the code, and possibly introducing more unwanted bugs in the process. I really dislike working with the PT assembler code.

I hope you understand. PS: You can use backspace/enter to play the current row and decrease/increase the position. It's useful for quickly listening to the change you did. You should also get familiar with the right ctrl/alt/shift keys which are hotkeys for playing song or pattern (or record mode).