English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Home Projects > project.EAB

Old 27 November 2003, 23:58   #1
Amiga1992

About the news' contents...

Kudos to Paul for being the supermeister Amiga news poster, but I have found some "problems" with the contents of the news.

First one that struck me now and the reason why I post... PRESS PLAY ON TAPE launches new CD
PPoT (besides being crap IMO ) has nothing to do with Amiga.

Also, will all Amiga news get posted and abime.net become a "me too" amiga news site like ann.lu or similar (except for the lame community that one has )? I'm really not much interested in emulation posts nor PPC Amiga posts, but I see the emulation posts as useful to most everyone here, though I do not know really about PPC stuff.

What do you think?
Old 28 November 2003, 01:30   #2
Amigaboy

I agree. I was surprised to see PPOT make it onto the news page, seeing as they're in no way related to the Amiga or abime.net.

While I'm posting, would it be at all possible to add the number of comments somewhere in the newsfeed?
eg.
27 Nov 2003: Get abime.net RSS feeds news (x comments)
27 Nov 2003: Get abime.net RSS feeds news (x)

Whatever you think is best. I don't want to have to visit a news post every time to see if someone has posted a comment.

Comments? (pun intended )

Old 28 November 2003, 10:14   #3
Paul
RIP Friends

If you think I should delete that item, please let me know. As I thought it was scene related and have seen them mentioned here before, I thought it would be ok! If you see any of my news items that shouldn't be there, then please feel free to tell me.

It's a bit lonely out there at the moment....Where are all the other news posters?
Old 28 November 2003, 11:30   #4
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

I don't think that the news stories have to necessarily be about the Amiga - Paul's post isn't completely irrelevant.

I'll be posting HOL and APoV news as it happens.
Old 28 November 2003, 15:19   #5
Amiga1992

If you wander outside Amiga news, it can be anything like Slashdot :P I really don't see PPoT fittting there, and they are far away from being scene. And if they were scene, they would be C64 scene.

Now if you posted about Chris Huelsbeck's latest Amiga-remix news, that would be related.

The comments idea is good. I'm used to that from www.c64.sk
Old 28 November 2003, 15:22   #6
woody57

Question Akira a critic?

Isn,t that the point of news posts ? even in the real press central information from wire services eg Reuteurs means that most information is only a third hand interpretation of events someone else saw first.Unless we have stringers everywhere its unlikely that " instant original content " is possible . I personally admire Paul AG,s efforts in creating a structure to the new format without additional imput or edditorial assistance how else can any page on the net aquire its own flavour ?Surely by posting across a wider base of issues that revolve { even if tentativley } around the " miggy" it is truthfully a better way of collating News than restricting posts to a one dimensional idealism .I thought the idea was to be taken seriously ? Most profesional monthly publications will include even the most questionable link of interest in order to attract and hold the readers eye { really its padding to make up the issue ! but thats down to the comercial presure of publication & advertising space !}So unless your going to be a contributing edditor Akira I can only say help Paul by encouraging a wider base of informed rather than opinionated posts from this boards members from around the world .Its not that it means members have to send in multipul articles just become a stringer to connect what they find first , obviously the trick is to to send a checkable link or source rather than just posting " heresay or rumour " but if its looked at as one try a month rather than a full time job I,m sure most of us can at least try to offer an original search path ! or am I fallling into the trap of wishfull thinking ?
Old 28 November 2003, 17:46   #7
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Kodoichi
Abime.net should go the way of a mixed retrogaming/emulation/demoscene portal. So RCK gets more fame and visitors and conservative purists like Akira drop off.
Who told you RCK wants "fame and more visitors"? And if you want a retrogaming/emulation/demoscene portal, go to poüet, classicgaming and retrogaymes and have your fix.

Stuff like this should be cleared up so tossers like Kodoichi drop off.

@Woodshed: I have already asked RCK to be a news contributor. That doesn't mean that if I didn't asked to, I would have no right to comment or criticize the content of the news. Just because I'm not a movie producer doesn't mean I can't slag off the latest Hollywood blockbuster, or does it? If you buy a rotten milk off the supermarket, you have no right to complain, because you don't run a supermarket business? wtf? Will you argument that I shouldn't criticize (it was constructuve criticism btw), because it is something we get for free? Please.

This is no mag, it's a news portal, and it's a portal about AMIGA, so PPoT has pish all to do with it.. I'm not a conservative purist, I'm trying to point out that the focus should be maintained. Otherwise make HOL cover all computer and console formats, and rename APoV to REDPoV (Retrogaming/Emulation/Demoscene Point of View) and I'll make aGTW into wGTW (whatever Games That Weren't).

The stuff about Amiga PPC is something I wanted to discuss the most, I was not saying that shouldn't be included, I wanted to know the input about other abime visitors about what they want and do not want to see. However this has been turned into an "Akira slagfest"
Old 28 November 2003, 20:32   #8
Marcuz

mmm maybe it's good to state things right from the start of a project, so i'm favorable to Akira' criticism.
anyway i'm still not so sure if Paul ' post isn't fitting. i think that as it's something even by far related to a "retroused" computer (amiga is that after all) can be interesting : people here that use amiga as their main and actual system are a minority here (i can think to Pyromania for instance). So the rest that are going to use the portal are people that at least know or are interested to other retro systems. With the particularity that they love/choose Amiga the most.
Me for instance even if i start mame once in a while, o Snes9xr i do not frequent their webzones nor i look for news on cabinets or new releases of nintendo emulator. Still i like to know that they are out there if i need them.

I would just like to wait some time to see if that enough free way of post news gets disturbing. I say that it is not for me at the present time

oh yeah... the incrimined post is under "misc" tab... that's enough methinks

Last edited by Marcuz; 28 November 2003 at 21:20.
Old 28 November 2003, 21:12   #9
woody57

Smile Chill Akira!

Please don,t take my earlier comments so personaly ! I raised the questionmark next to your name because its unlike you to appear blinkered over computor conected items !.Mistakenly or not I believe your open views have a tendancy to motivate others to positivly respond and begin to discus things thats why I suguested you encourage efforts from the less talented of us { Take note I,m in that catorgrie !}.Furthermore I defend your right to post your viewpoint because unless there is a counter view to compare things to its one sided reporting , hence why I suguested referencable stories not rumours !
Finally I publicly deny it was ever my intent for the post to be viewed as " Akira " bashing , since you light heatedly imply this I reassure you any typed assault from me would be more direct than petty snipping !I do hope you get the edditors job because I believe you are open minded & my earlier comments I feel are now clearer !
Old 28 November 2003, 23:17   #10
Amiga1992

I don;t know if you intended it as that, I believe not, but others(-s) have taken the plunge for it and completely destroyed the focus of this thread.

Marco: I believe that the portal should stay in focus with the Amiga, to not get so widespread. at least this is what I think, my extreme HOL and APoV examples would do to know where I'm coming from. In any case it's up to RCK to decide!
Old 29 November 2003, 14:28   #11
Marcuz

i tell it again, yours is a coherent point of view. just i'm convinced on kind of openess of argument and waiting for some experiment.

btw it's obvious that it's a bigger loss if openess wins but it suffocate the amiga stuff than if that remains an amiga only news spreader.
Old 29 November 2003, 14:45   #12
Ian
Global Moderator

I think they should post whatever news is deemed relevant by those entrusted with the task of "posting news".

I mean if it's got to be Amiga related it would get very boring and be updated once every month with either:

"Sorry folks, the Amiga is STILL dead"

or

"OS4.0 is finally released.... Oh wait a minute, it's delayed again"

Not very interesting you must admit!

Every other month WinUAE might get a release, so I suppose that would be elidgable for news under the Amiga only rules.
Old 29 November 2003, 16:18   #13
Amiga1992

I think there are lots of things Amiga-related to talk about that have nothing to do with amiga's bullshit or WinUAE releases. Are you completely ignoring the demoscene around the Amiga? CAPS? And CodyJ said he would post about HOL and APoV too...
Old 29 November 2003, 19:45   #14
woody57

Question Is It the question of the Classic v Emu ?

Having read your last I have to plead genuine ignorance of any current active classic amiga scene .Putting to one side the fact that I check using the browsers search engine for new site or update news regarding my beloved real miggy I can only repeat that from the searches I,ve made with exception of Aminet update and occasional " old News" via the " official Amiga sites " most seems geared towards the dreaded EMU or OS4.0 promises , if as you point out there is indeed a current active " Scene " this needs to be reported and signposted because I for one am still interested and a regular user of the old classic applications for art ,DP,WP and media related files . whether my usage and viewpoint are in favour of what Ian states is a dead platform is imaterial to me because its the retro interest that makes me want to keep coming back here to " Learn ! " . I,m no authority just a enduser and therefore those of you like akira who have better understanding of how to intergrate things better reafirm for me my decision to stay with the miggy not as a " cutting edge tool " but as something that is a joy to use . So please akira I hope this post iis not to far away from the news thread you requested to highlight
Old 30 November 2003, 06:51   #15
Amiga1992

The "scene" I talk about is the demoscene, I don't think I see much people developing aplpications and/or games for stock A500 hardware or the like. However the demoscene does work in these platform (Just found DaJorma's Hätä demo ported to A500!!!). This is a pity, since the C64 gets so may productions that work on stock hardware!! Seems like people is not very interested in that. I am, and that's why my game project will have to run in a sttock 1200 or the bare minimum fastram requirements for whdload.
Old 30 November 2003, 14:51   #16
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Re: About the news' contents...

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
I'm really not much interested in emulation posts nor PPC Amiga posts, but I see the emulation posts as useful to most everyone here, though I do not know really about PPC stuff.

What do you think?
The PPC stuff (i.e. Pegasos, MorphOS/OS 4.0, AmigaOne etc.) is generating a sizeable chunk of the Amiga news at present and probably has been doing so for some time now. Omitting the PPC stuff would be as remiss as omitting the classic stuff if the aim is to have a true Amiga news site that caters for a wider audience (as opposed to EAB people).

Also, IMHO, focusing purely on Amiga news to the exclusion of major developments/hot topics in the computer/console/technology/demo scene etc. world really would stifle the site after a while (as it did with Amiga print magazines after Escom died until Amiga Active came along in late 1999). As long as the news is primarily focused on Amiga happenings, a smattering of non-Amiga content like this can only serve to enhance the site. The odd humorous story would certainly go a long way too.
Old 30 November 2003, 15:45   #17
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

I can understand both sides to this debate but...

At the end of the day, even though I agree with one - I think the crux of the matter is what the editor of this facility thinks. So if RCK can make his feelings known on this it would be much appreciated for all concerned...
Old 30 November 2003, 21:21   #18
Amiga1992

I completely agree with Antiriad.

I asked RCK to post his opinion here but he might be very busy right now to reply. He will do so soon.
Old 01 December 2003, 18:19   #19
RCK
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Amigaboy
While I'm posting, would it be at all possible to add the number of comments somewhere in the newsfeed?
eg.
27 Nov 2003: Get abime.net RSS feeds news (x comments)
27 Nov 2003: Get abime.net RSS feeds news (x)
Done !
Old 01 December 2003, 18:22   #20
RCK
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Kodoichi
Abime.net should go the way of a mixed retrogaming/emulation/demoscene portal. So RCK gets more fame and visitors and conservative purists like Akira drop off.
lol, you dream this
abime.net will stay the sanctuary of amiga addicts, at least for me.
I don't care about other retrogaming platform, their is enough good portal for them.