English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.Sprites

Old 07 November 2005, 02:56   #1
TTSAddict
Influence Device

gfxrip help with paradroid

Hello again.

I have read through the various threads in this subforum and managed to rip some sprites of Alien Breed without flaws.
I then went straight on to my object of interest...
I badly need the droid sprites/heads, floor tiles and the font from Paradroid90 !
However the only setting, where you can recognize something is at 160 px width at 1 bit plane depth in 'AM' Mode.
Offset is about 68558.
The automated palette search succeeds, but the planes never overlap as intended!
I've got not the slightest clue what settings are needed to get anything out of that USS, that looks even slightly like real ingame GFX.
I know that some graphics are scattered about the memory, some use different formats, but none of them ever look right.
I uploaded the USS as a WinRAR compressed archive to the zone.
If someone who has more experience than me could give me a hint, I would jump in circles!
Please help!

Last edited by TTSAddict; 07 November 2005 at 03:13.
Old 07 November 2005, 23:37   #2
maVado

X16 Y200 Bit 5 Mode ST PalE 600

-------------------

X32 Y200 Bit 5 Mode ST PalE 600

Palette is wrong for sure but did not any search more ...

Fonts:

X16 Ywhatever Bit 4 Mode ST PalE 600

Tiles:

X8Y8 Bit 4 PalE 600 Mode ST

Last edited by maVado; 07 November 2005 at 23:42.
Old 08 November 2005, 04:49   #3
TTSAddict
Influence Device

Ah great thanks! Thats more like it.
I will upload the results if I manage to get the colors right.
Old 13 November 2005, 05:32   #4
Mnemesi

Some pre-ripped stuff...

Though this only helps marginally, I do know there's one site with the whole droid/head array set and the explosions right here (though I have no idea if they're a useful size - might be good for matching colors though):

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep.../alldroids.png
Old 13 November 2005, 16:11   #5
TTSAddict
Influence Device

Floppy disk

Thanks. Actually, that site was the initial reason why I wanted to get the GFX.
Yep, there is missing some stuff and I don't know if the colors are 100%.
I created a new palette for use in gfxrip, from an unfiltered WinUAE screenshot. The sprites are ok, but it won't fit for the tiles and font.
And I'm still figuring if I am missing some more gfx.
The droid library and title/loading screens are compressed in memory.
Besides that, the work is pretty much done.
Again, thanks for the boost, maVado.

---
The SFX is as well messy as the level maps. They seem to be created in realtime out of small waveforms. Doing a four channel recording is the best way to get at them. No chance otherwise, except you know Mr Braybrook personally

Last edited by TTSAddict; 13 November 2005 at 16:16.
Old 13 November 2005, 16:40   #6
Mnemesi

If you're doing a faithful remake of Paradroid '90 for the PC, recording them to wave is probably the best option, though I don't know how you'd filter out the background starship ambience for the actual individual droids. I'd just rip the library/title screens as screenshots under emulation since they're static displays IIRC.

If you are doing a Paradroid '90 remake, more power to you -- there's some good PC remakes of the original C64 one, but I honestly was addicted to the security droid's slightly angled machine gun. It was delightful fun to fling streams of tiny projectiles into narrow passways to smack down partially covered droids. The droids in Paradroid '90 were really pleasing designs too.
Old 13 November 2005, 18:43   #7
TTSAddict
Influence Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnemesi
If you're doing a faithful remake of Paradroid '90 for the PC{...}
Indeed, that's what I'm working on. There are truly much remakes and conversions of the C64 version, even RPGs and 3-dimensioned remakes, but nothing close to Paradroid 90.
I'll start imitating the original and then building an enhanced version around that as an addon (new gfx - but sticking to 2D top down view -, new story, sfx etc.)
Quote:
{...} recording them to wave is probably the best option, though I don't know how you'd filter out the background starship ambience{...}
If you select four channel sound, WinUAE writes a four channel wave file as well. The ambient sound is using its own amiga channel, so it can easily be discarded.

Quote:
{...} for the actual individual droids. I'd just rip the library/title screens as screenshots under emulation since they're static displays IIRC.{...}
Yup, did that. However, speaking of static, that brings another point to my mind. Paradroid makes use of palette changing to create some effects - like the lights being switched off on a deck, or the different shading of tiles and droids on the different ships. I wonder how I would implement that, since I'm going for a strict 32bit display (thinking of the improved GFX for the enhanced version).

Whatever, don't answer that one, was just thinking out loud.

Quote:
If you are doing a Paradroid '90 remake, more power to you -- there's some good PC remakes of the original C64 one, but I honestly was addicted to the security droid's slightly angled machine gun. It was delightful fun to fling streams of tiny projectiles into narrow passways to smack down partially covered droids. The droids in Paradroid '90 were really pleasing designs too.
Me too
I don't know if its just me, but I think its weapon was even mightier than the triple laser (except that it couldn't penetrate heavy armour).
---------
Somewhere on the net I saw some screenshots of a Paradroid remake that uses the P90 droids but Alien Breed floor tiles. Looks very nice. Too bad I don't remember the URL. Its for some handheld device, if I'm not mistaken.
Old 14 November 2005, 01:13   #8
Mnemesi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTSAddict
Indeed, that's what I'm working on. There are truly much remakes and conversions of the C64 version, even RPGs and 3-dimensioned remakes, but nothing close to Paradroid 90.
Yes, I've seen Freedroid. The RPG was... interesting, if a little forcibly penguin-heavy. The smaller more faithful version is my current favorite C64 flavored remake of Paradroid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTSAddict
I'll start imitating the original and then building an enhanced version around that as an addon (new gfx - but sticking to 2D top down view -, new story, sfx etc.)
I started to fantasize about the possibilities already:

New droids, of course. Enhanced sound effects. Possibly that 'certain class' of combot droid can actually yell an EXTERMINATE or two.

Possibly upgrades can be found which lessen the decay time on influencing robots or add to the number of 'influence keys' that you start with.

Portable forcefield generators to increase the temporary defense of your unit.

Keeping track of actual ammunition on the more powerful weapons might be a good trade off for the appearance of other 'power-ups' (imagine that there's a ship's armoury on certain levels that you can scrounge, and potentially even equip a seemingly harmless droid with firepower instead of having to hijack a high security robot to get the guns. Of course, you'd have to have /unlocked/ the door first with an authorized pass...)

Your mention of Alien Breed tiles made me realize that it'd be neat to see episodes of Paradroid end up taking our spunky Influence Device to the surface of planets to deal with installations not unlike what you see in Alien Breed.
Possibilities, possibilities....
Old 14 November 2005, 16:51   #9
TTSAddict
Influence Device

Wink

That sounds good

I thought of missions, that have special objective rules to follow (besides normal ones). E.G. a ship or a planetary installation that features a droid prototype that you need to steal. In the first place you have to destroy the power generator, the level gets DARK (you just barely see outlines of the walls) and now you REALLY can use the different sensors to detect hostile subjects (e.g. Radar: They'd shimmer green and you can see them even if they are not in your corridor). STEALTH Oh dear...
If I may quote you...: Possibilities, possibilities....

Currently I'll just worry about the transfer game... Although my transfer game skill is in average shape, I can't put the different aspects of this mini game to strict rules in my head. "Neither red side nor yellow side must ever have a fatal advantage over the other" for example.
I need some more transfer training
The rest is a breeze however.

And finally to not get too off-topic...:
I wonder how P90 creates the gradient colored score text. This is definately not just a palette change.
No problem here, I'll just create another charset with this gradient - just being curious.
Same thing with the 'lighting' on the Paradroid logo in the title screen (that brightness-gradient).
Old 15 November 2005, 02:03   #10
Mnemesi

Sounds wonderful. Maybe the influence device even has to deal with xenomorphs in a special level.

I can't emphasize how subtle the balance is in the transfer game. I've played Freedroid and I find the transfer game there runs too fast and yet it's too easy to win. Paradroid 90's is just right, apparently finely tuned. It'd be neat if there was a way the in transfer game, depending by how much you win, it increases the time allowed to influence the droid.

I'd like to help in some way, but I honestly can't think of anything other than morale support.
Old 15 November 2005, 17:41   #11
TTSAddict
Influence Device

Quote:
Sounds wonderful. Maybe the influence device even has to deal with xenomorphs in a special level.
Definately. If there gonna be more humans (security, scientists) why not other creatures as well?
Quote:
I can't emphasize how subtle the balance is in the transfer game. I've played Freedroid and I find the transfer game there runs too fast and yet it's too easy to win. Paradroid 90's is just right, apparently finely tuned.
Thats true. It is amazing to see how the smallest thing can influence the outcome of a circuitry battle.
The number of boosts you have is not everything. Sometimes I loose against the machine gun buddy although I had a heavy security droid - and sometimes you can beat the command droid with nothing more than the influence device. Well, if you manage to get close enough to start the transfer game, that is

Quote:
It'd be neat if there was a way the in transfer game, depending by how much you win, it increases the time allowed to influence the droid.
That makes sense. The manual states (Was it really in the manual? Can't remember...), the influence device continually loses power since the whole time through while another droid is under control, its CPU is trying to regain control, wasting precious energy and burning itself out in the end. So say you won, controlling ALL circuits (can't remember to have ever seen such a case) its CPU would be cut off the circuitry and unable to initialize countermeasures.
Quote:
I'd like to help in some way, but I honestly can't think of anything other than morale support.
Your morale support is as welcome as any other contribution to this, since I have a big need for morale support - especially when I fire up gfxrip the next time
Don't get that last sentence wrong. Ok, I'd lie if I said that I never canceled a project in the past just 'cause of losing interest or nerves *g*
But this one is REALLY important to me. And I want to give something back to the community.
The rock just started to speed down that hill and I don't believe it can be stopped.

Last edited by TTSAddict; 15 November 2005 at 17:51.