English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 17 March 2003, 18:04   #1
Korodny
Zone Friend

New screenshots from "Secret of my Soul 3D"

ADA (Anime Development for Amiga) have relased new screenshots from their upcoming title "Secret of my Soul 3D".
Old 17 March 2003, 18:42   #2
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Eek Re: New screenshots from "Secret of my Soul 3D"

Quote:
Originally posted by Korodny
ADA (Anime Development for Amiga) have relased new screenshots from their upcoming title "Secret of my Soul 3D".
Wow!
How bad does that look.
Old 17 March 2003, 19:44   #3
RetroMan

Re: Re: New screenshots from "Secret of my Soul 3D"

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Wow!
How bad does that look.
Hmmmm Why do you think so ??? Only because it´s not GOTHIC 2 or something ??? I never seen such detailed 3D on Amiga untill today
Old 17 March 2003, 20:00   #4
oldpx

hHaHaAHahaaHAahaahhaAHAAHAHAaaAAAAAaaaa

Old 17 March 2003, 20:14   #5
RetroMan

Quote:
Originally posted by Burseg
hHaHaAHahaaHAahaahhaAHAAHAHAaaAAAAAaaaa
But .... uhmmm .... you KNOW you got one of the OLDEST screenshots, do you

I like this one :

Old 17 March 2003, 20:18   #6
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Re: Re: Re: New screenshots from "Secret of my Soul 3D"

Quote:
Originally posted by RetroMan
Hmmmm Why do you think so ??? Only because it´s not GOTHIC 2 or something ??? I never seen such detailed 3D on Amiga untill today
It just looks very poor. Vary basic objects. Quite poor looking textures. Check out the requirements:

PPC603@160MHZ
64MB ram
3D Graphics Card

After looking at the requirements I'd think they could do better than that. There's not even any proper lighting on the objects. I think Alien Breed 3D II looks better. Still if it's early days then there is still hope for it. I wonder what 3D graphics card they use for development. Voodoo 3 maybe?

I think when the AmigaOne and Amiga OS 4.0 are released the graphical quality of the few new Amiga games should get much better thanks to the inclusion of Mesa 5.0 which is basically OpenGL. I wonder how easy it would be to port an OpenGL Windows game to the AmigaOne?

What is sichtweite? Is this the frames per second? 20.0?
Old 17 March 2003, 20:21   #7
oldpx

This looks as good as might and magic 6, but that game did not require a 3d card. A lot better games can be made for a ppc/3d amiga. I'm not saying this is very bad but this team could not release a pc game with that talent and succeed.

Still OK though.

20fps should be possible with a Bvision card depending on the game.

Last edited by Burseg; 17 March 2003 at 21:24.

Old 17 March 2003, 21:18   #8
CPC464

Send a message via ICQ to CPC464 Send a message via AIM to CPC464
I have to agree this looks a pretty poor graphical game
Old 18 March 2003, 03:48   #9
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Add me to the list...I hate what most people think is good 3D in modern games, but I think the screens from this game are quite amateurish.
Old 18 March 2003, 06:57   #10
sylvio k.

Red face

I wonder that some users dont know the word "Alpha Engine".
Of course there is no lightmapping because we are aktually
working on the texture engine. The problem is that the Engine
reduces each game texture to 16 Colors. This is a Bug and the Bug
will be fixed.

Old 18 March 2003, 08:49   #11
Mr Softy

Send a message via ICQ to Mr Softy Send a message via MSN to Mr Softy
Mmmh :/

I personnaly think that Amiga and 3D are not made for each other. But it doesn't look bad!
Old 18 March 2003, 09:05   #12
manicx

Well, screenshots say nothing to me. I just want to see the game moving and play it as well. Graphics looks poor comparing to modern standards (looks like a poor Silent Hill) but so does the old PPC Amiga hardware...
Old 18 March 2003, 16:34   #13
IanS

I wouldn't say that it looks too bad. Bearing in mind the limitations of the harware on the Amiga. PPC 603 is hardly cutting edge, and neither is the Bvision or Voodoo 3 (still a useful little card though... I have one lurking about somewhere).

It surprises me that anybody still puts in the amount of time and effort to produce games for such a small market. Hats of to these guys for their efforts, even if it doesn't look state of the art.
Old 18 March 2003, 16:39   #14
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by IanS
PPC 603 is hardly cutting edge, and neither is the Bvision or Voodoo 3
But I have seen better looking 3D stuff running in a demo for a 68030 :P

Sorry but this reminds me of a post I did before. "Commercial" Amiga games don't look commercial anymore, they don't seem professional. IMO
Old 18 March 2003, 17:19   #15
IanS

Maybe that's because no 'professional' coders can afford the time and resources that commercial games need these days, on the Amiga at least. commercial games aren't viable when the sales will only run it to tripple figures at most. And if this is realtime 3D, you can't compare it to pre-rendered demos on 680x0 hardware.

AB3D 2 was graphically less impressive, and that crawled along on most Amiga hardware.

IMVHO
Old 18 March 2003, 19:42   #16
oldpx

Quote:
Maybe that's because no 'professional' coders can afford the time and resources that commercial games need these days, on the Amiga at least.
This is the way today's fake amiga developers try to make you think. These type of "developers" appeared since the demise of commodore. They are designing shit games as if we are begging for new games. In fact they know their games might be mentioned only on a small community like ours. But amiga user is smart. We know what makes a good game and what does not. We've had many cool titles for 68k and there's no reason to be grateful for those who can't make good games just because there aren't many new games under development. This is not the way to support amiga, amiga doesn't need this kind of travesty. If amiga be called "dead" just because it does not have new but shit titles, so be it.

And THIS game might not be included here, depending on what the final product will look like. Therefore I'm speaking generally and not targeting this specific game which does not look good so far.

Old 18 March 2003, 22:29   #17
Amiga1992

Quote:
Maybe that's because no 'professional' coders can afford the time and resources that commercial games need these days
I see games being done for the C64 today that look as professional (or MORE) than those that were commercially released back then. Take a look at the Metal Warrior series, for example. And these people don't earn a single DIME from this all.

And no, I'm not comparing it to prerendered anything. I'm talking about real time generated 68k stuff. Anyway... thanks for the sparring ;D
Old 19 March 2003, 01:08   #18
IanS

Ah, come on guys. What one or two enthusiastic coders could do in their spare time in the nineties, which may well have been very "professional", just wouldn't make the grade today. How many people with really good coding, rendering, artistic and design skills are going to plough all their time, for many months, in to a dead end platform? Programmers get paid good money... but not if they're relying directly on sales of the game.

All you guys are making judgments about quality, based on a few screenshots, and then you expect these guys to carry on developing for the Amiga when you say their work is crap. How about supporting them. At least a little encouragement wouldn't hurt!

How many of you guys have the requisite skills to make a full, commercial quality 3D game from start to finish? How about it Bursreg, Akira? Fancy having a go?
Old 19 March 2003, 01:26   #19
oldpx

a- I don't have to be able to produce _something_ to criticise it.
b- I would not join a project that the final product is doomed to be below a certain level of proficiency.
c- I'd love to team with Akira any day!
d- My nick is Burseg. I like it better this way.
e- These screenshots are what developers show to public therefore I didn't say I made a final judgement about this game but said it currently falls into a not-so-desirable category.
f- Criticism is a form of support. I am not against anything without a reason.

Old 19 March 2003, 01:45   #20
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Roll eyes (sarcastic)

Quote:
Originally posted by Burseg
I would not join a project that the final product is doomed to be below a certain level of proficiency.
You're being too harsh Burseg! Why is the project doomed? Because of those screenshots? Personally I think it shows much promise. They show nothing of gameplay so don't judge a book by it's half drawn cover.

Quote:
Originally posted by IanS
All you guys are making judgments about quality, based on a few screenshots, and then you expect these guys to carry on developing for the Amiga when you say their work is crap. How about supporting them. At least a little encouragement wouldn't hurt!

How many of you guys have the requisite skills to make a full, commercial quality 3D game from start to finish? How about it Bursreg, Akira? Fancy having a go?
I agree totally. I don't think either Akira or Burseg have the talent so that's out of the window straight away.

It could be a really great game in the end. You can't really tell anything from a game from early screenshots. But I think it's really great that people develop for the PPC Amiga. There is still a market for it. Albeit a rather small one. I'd love to write a game for the AmigaOne if Amiga OS4 is ever released. What would be really awesome would be if new generation Amiga games started coming out. Like 3D versions of old 2D classics. That would be well amazing. Imagine Banshee 3D or Roadkill 3D. Mmmmm. Kickass.

As for Secret of my Soul, I look forward to more screenshots in the future and hope the developers continue with the project.

I just wonder how long it will take to complete. I hope they can keep their motivation going. I know how easy it is to get bored and start another project. Good luck with the game guys.

Oh one more thing. I reckon the game title could do with a change.

Last edited by Steve; 19 March 2003 at 02:01.