English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 08 November 2010, 23:32   #321
frank_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
They probably do 4-2-2-2. You can't do X-1-1-1 with normal D-Ram. I make excessive use of SD-Ram features here.

There's two things that may cause a burst to be slower:

1. you start it when it doesn't make sense (at the end of a cache line)
2. you run it all the way through, 4 longwords, "no matter what".

My ACA cards will only start a burst if it's NOT at the end of a cache line, and they stop a burst if the end of a cache line is reached. Call it a "dynamic burst", because it can be 2, 3 or 4 cycles long, depending on what's most useful.

All this stuff is described in the original Motorola literature. I'd be surprised if Phase 5 has not implemented this, because it's not that hard to do.

Jens
Yeah I have the moto 020 and 030 user manuals. I was using an aligned copy which is why I found it odd. A sequential memory copy with data burst off is considerably faster than without on those old cards.
Old 08 November 2010, 23:44   #322
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabie View Post
a first personshooter game that runs at 12fps is not playlabe in any form
to be playlable and enyoylable and smooth Doom needs at least 45-50 fps
and none amiga Turboboard reach that framerate ...even the 040/40 or the 060/50
maybe that rare A1200 /060 turboboards hacked to run at 80mhz can reach 45 fps
anyways

for me it is nonsense comparing turboboards with Doom on Amiga
the best way to play Doom is doomsday port for windows....that's is really nice
You're obviously spoilt by modern 60fps shooters, when doom came out my little 386 run it smoothly at only 15fps, which is why Doom was so damn popular in the first place, you didn't need a powerful machine to run it well
Old 08 November 2010, 23:57   #323
Leffmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
You're obviously spoilt by modern 60fps shooters, when doom came out my little 386 run it smoothly at only 15fps, which is why Doom was so damn popular in the first place, you didn't need a powerful machine to run it well
This is of course subjective, but you can't seriously call 15 FPS smooth. Start your favorite game in WinUAE and set the frame skip to 3 on PAL (16.7 FPS) or 4 on NTSC (15 FPS) and come back and say with a straight face that the game still runs smooth
Old 09 November 2010, 00:17   #324
Fabie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Actually Risen3D is the better Doomsday : http://risen3d.drdteam.org/
better than doomsday?
uau !!
I have to check that
thanks for the link !!!
Old 09 November 2010, 00:48   #325
Fabie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
I know that the original Doom was developed by ID software on 486 machines running at 100mhz
using a 486/100mhz Doom is smooth and reach 60 fps...even more
of course the minimum requirements to run the game maybe is a 386 but 15 fps on a 386 is not smooth
a 386 is like a 020 or a 030
you feel it smooth on that ancient time...but it was not smooth
Old 09 November 2010, 03:29   #326
desiv

There's a difference between "smooth" and "enjoyable."
Was doom "smooth" on my 386, probably not.

Was it fun and enjoyable? Heck yeah...

We don't all need 50+ FPS to enjoy a game.

Even nowadays...

desiv
Old 09 November 2010, 03:32   #327
Adropac2
Zone Friend

15 frames for 3d is hardly a total jerkfest though is it considering loads of Amiga games for example didn't even manage this.For 2d then yes it's a little harder on the eyes.At 5 frames then i'd agree more to the point.I'd even argue that 3d say at some 17 frames is worse on the eyes than much less than that especially if we're talking textures

Animation too can get under 10 frames and still be acceptable

Last edited by Adropac2; 09 November 2010 at 03:38.
Old 09 November 2010, 05:41   #328
NovaCoder

Don't forget that how you view the game plays a large part in how 'smooth' it looks, my old 386 and my A1200 had slow-burn CRT's whereas now days I'm using a 100Hz LCD TV for my 60FPS FPS (too many TLA's for sure!).

I think we're getting a bit off topic here BTW.
Old 09 November 2010, 11:01   #329
Oliver_A
Soldering Ironman

Quote:
a first personshooter game that runs at 12fps is not playlabe in any form
In 1994, I was playing Doom on a 386-50Mhz CPU, which barely made it over the 10fps mark in Low Detail Mode. Most people played Doom that way back then.

Quote:
to be playlable and enyoylable and smooth Doom needs at least 45-50 fps
Just too bad that the Doom engine doesn't allow higher framerates than 35fps (or half the refresh of a VGA 320x200 mode).

Quote:
and none amiga Turboboard reach that framerate ...
If we ignore the fact that Doom actually can't run higher than 35fps: the PPC version on my Blizzard PPC runs at exactly that maximum frame rate. On AGA. So wrong again.

Quote:
for me it is nonsense comparing turboboards with Doom on Amiga
the best way to play Doom is doomsday port for windows....that's is really nice
Well, then what are you doing here? You obviously have no interest in classic computing, which is about collecting and maintaining our beloved babies. If you replace the engine of your classic car with a brand new, custom made replacement part, you want to make sure that it gives you at least comparable results, if not better.

Anyone can buy an el-cheapo PC and claim: Doom runs better on it. That's hardly the point. The point is that we offer brand new 68030 turboboards, which are affordable, compatible, have lots of memory and even improve performance compared to the models which were available back then. How fast can we make a turboboard without breaking compatibility? One practical answer is: to whip the 68030.

If you question that, then you can question your hobby, the scene, almost anything being discussed here.

Last edited by Oliver_A; 09 November 2010 at 11:24.
Old 09 November 2010, 12:22   #330
Calabazam

How could the framerate be determined in ADoom or DoomAttack?
Is there some type of console command?
Old 09 November 2010, 12:36   #331
Fabie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calabazam View Post
How could the framerate be determined in ADoom or DoomAttack?
Is there some type of console command?
on Adoom there is a tooltype named FPS
I do not remember very well.... check the Adoom icon
Old 09 November 2010, 12:57   #332
Fabie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_A View Post

Well, then what are you doing here? You obviously have no interest in classic computing, which is about collecting and maintaining our beloved babies. If you replace the engine of your classic car with a brand new, custom made replacement part, you want to make sure that it gives you at least comparable results, if not better.

Anyone can buy an el-cheapo PC and claim: Doom runs better on it. That's hardly the point. The point is that we offer brand new 68030 turboboards, which are affordable, compatible, have lots of memory and even improve performance compared to the models which were available back then. How fast can we make a turboboard without breaking compatibility? One practical answer is: to whip the 68030.

If you question that, then you can question your hobby, the scene, almost anything being discussed here.
of course I'm interested in classic computing......but Doom is not classic on Amiga
and can be played on a better way on a PC with better ports
I think a better option is comparing a game like alien breed 3d2 which was an original amiga game
please check if AB3D2 is faster on the new 1230 because this game was slow even on a 060
Old 09 November 2010, 13:00   #333
Calabazam

Quote:
on Adoom there is a tooltype named FPS
I do not remember very well.... check the Adoom icon
I see.
For information, i am around 15 FPS on AGA/68060 with Doomattack, full screen and high details. ADoom doesn't want to use my wads, so i can't tell.
Old 09 November 2010, 13:27   #334
vroom6sri

How & when?

Back to the topic of the thread... How and when will I be able to buy one of these (if they don't sell out before I get my act together) in the UK? Is the cost to the buyer just going to be the 99 Euros plus P&P (A1200 accelerator) or is that the price they will be supplied to sellers for.

AND a big thank you for this amazing development work by the way.
Old 09 November 2010, 13:32   #335
amigakit.com

@Vroom6sri

You will be able to buy them from us in a few weeks time. We will announce availability on the www.amigakit.com when they are in stock.
Old 09 November 2010, 13:35   #336
Fabie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calabazam View Post
I see.
For information, i am around 15 FPS on AGA/68060 with Doomattack, full screen and high details. ADoom doesn't want to use my wads, so i can't tell.
that's strange but read ADoom'documentation about wad files
maybe your wad files have an incorrect name
Old 09 November 2010, 14:44   #337
daxb

Oliver_A:
Do you have the possibility to try/test doomattack to get fps? As far as I can remember adoom didn`t worked here or was too slow. We could compare my APollo 1240/40 with 1230/56. AIBB memtest says that APollo was only 15% faster.
Old 09 November 2010, 15:10   #338
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Doomattack gives me 35fps on 060 using Voodoo3 320x240x8.
AGA 320x256 using the 040+ c2p routine also gives 35fps with same system.

ADoomPPC on AGA 320x256 gives me a solid 35fps.
Old 09 November 2010, 15:29   #339
TronPlayer

Quote:
A1200, EC030, 64MB = 99,- EUR
A600, full-030, 32MB, all mechanical parts included and pre-assembled = 159,- EUR
Jens
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK View Post
Is the faster A1200 price of 199Euro set in stone? Is this going to be the last one released?
Thanks,
Quote:
Nothing is set in stone about a faster A1200 version. I don't know if I'll release the faster version, what speed it'll be and what the price will be. I focus on Xmas business and that consists of the two cards I just mentioned.
Hi,
Can you please tell me if the 1200 56mhz card is going to be available for Christmas as well? According to the first posts in this thread both the 28mhz and 58mhz versions will be available by Christmas. But according to the posts above it sounds like only the 28mhz version will be.
Old 09 November 2010, 15:57   #340
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TronPlayer View Post
Hi,
Can you please tell me if the 1200 56mhz card is going to be available for Christmas as well? According to the first posts in this thread both the 28mhz and 58mhz versions will be available by Christmas. But according to the posts above it sounds like only the 28mhz version will be.
The 56MHz version will be later than the 28MHz version, and I can't tell if we'll make it before Xmas. The faster CPU interface is a whole new development - even if the card looks the same, the contents of the CPLD are substantially different. This development is a lot more difficult than the slower versions, so I can't give a firm release date for the faster version.

Jens