English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 07 December 2019, 18:18   #3521
Hedeon
PPC Hacker

Ramlib errors are mostly due to stack issues. Stack stack does not fix the ramlib stack. There are ramlib patches available.
Old 07 December 2019, 20:37   #3522
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedeon View Post
Ramlib errors are mostly due to stack issues. Stack stack does not fix the ramlib stack. There are ramlib patches available.
I've installed RAMLibPatch, now I do get, depending on the slot:
1) total freezing of the system
2) it keeps giving me the #80000004 error
3) the usual crash during PPC setup

Ouch
Old 07 December 2019, 20:48   #3523
kgc210

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgc210 View Post
When it starts to load. The green LED (CPU) flicks on and off.
The orange one (BDFL) stays on.
When it goes to the loading of the Graphics / InitPPC the green LED comes back on solid, orange stays on. Monitor turns on, but I only have a black screen coming out of the VooDoo.

When I get time I will change my screen prefs to use the Amiga Graphics to see if it actually gets into WorkBench. I will also try connecting up to the debug port on J1 when I get time. I'm busy building a 3D printer at the min.
I removed my Apocalypse and changed the screen mode to an Amiga one, put Apocalypse back in and still get a black screen.

I plugged my USB FT232RL in but I didn't get anything from the debug port. I have ordered a new FT232RL as I can't remember if I killed it or not on another project?
Old Yesterday, 01:29   #3524
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0x View Post
grelbfarlk -> what Fan do you use?
Evercool EC4007, a friend suggested these to me as they are very short and are 12V but not very loud.

Something else we have been doing with the Apocalypse is using electrical tape between the Ramix and the Apoc, so the only air that is sucked into the fan is from the back of the case over the heatsink.

Regarding the ramlib crashes, aside from actual ramlib or stack issues that sounds like general Mediator instability like CMSJ was having. In my experience this can be caused by the following:
  • Power issues
  • Running out of PCI space, make sure Winsize is set for 512MB
  • Swap jumper configuration
  • Poor connection between the Mediator bridge to the slots, or the busboard to the motherboard.
  • Electrically noisy 5V fans, a couple people have seen this including me
  • Poor seating of a PCI card, you run PCIINFO and see a card with corrupt entries or multiple corrupt entries like invalid PCI Vendor/Device information
Old Yesterday, 03:41   #3525
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgc210 View Post
I removed my Apocalypse and changed the screen mode to an Amiga one, put Apocalypse back in and still get a black screen.

I plugged my USB FT232RL in but I didn't get anything from the debug port. I have ordered a new FT232RL as I can't remember if I killed it or not on another project?
PPCBug will not boot if jumpers 11-12 are connected. If that jumper is off and you have a serial cable working it should boot at power on. I use it connected to the Amiga serial port and just run Term.
Old Yesterday, 12:37   #3526
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
  • Power issues
  • Running out of PCI space, make sure Winsize is set for 512MB
  • Swap jumper configuration
  • Poor connection between the Mediator bridge to the slots, or the busboard to the motherboard.
  • Electrically noisy 5V fans, a couple people have seen this including me
  • Poor seating of a PCI card, you run PCIINFO and see a card with corrupt entries or multiple corrupt entries like invalid PCI Vendor/Device information
Thank you very much for your reply.

While I do not have an oscilloscope, I do believe that having replaced every capacitor in sight, my power supply is clean enough.
Anyways, just to rule out any kinds of power issues, I have an ATX power supply slamming 3.3V directly in the M1. No changes.

The Sonnet Library alerts you if the WinSize jumper is open and it won't start, accordingly.

Same issues with Swap open or closed, sadly.

I've tested the M1 in every kind of combination possible, and I do get the same results almost every time. The Voodoo works fine in the same slots.

Removed the 5V fan I had, nothing changed.

PCIInfo reports everything correctly.

Anyways, on the suggestion of user JOE, I've contacted Elbox to check if my Mediator needs any Mach chips to be upgraded.

Last edited by jbenam; Yesterday at 12:45.
Old Yesterday, 13:14   #3527
k0x

I would focus on the Mediator.

Few years ago Jack-3D was setting up Sonnetized 4000D's for us.

We had 3 identical machines with Sonnet 7200 and black Mediators. On one machine the Sonnet was failing. After several days of troubleshooting when we used identical sw installation and swapped all components like psu, mb, cpu card, Voodoos - simply everything, we found the brand new Mediator bushboard was the the cause of problem.

After furter investigation we found that 3 or 4 solder joints ware missing on the bushboard. When the bushboard was swapped with other one the machine started to work as expected.

Based on communication with Elbox the bushboard was returned to them for repair. After several weeks it arrived and machine works like a charme.
Old Yesterday, 19:05   #3528
ottifant011

Hi,

I have a question about the Ragnarok card "PRPMC8150-1371" must there be something jumpered?
Old Yesterday, 19:11   #3529
trixster
Guru Meditating

Not on Ragnarok
Old Yesterday, 19:11   #3530
k0x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottifant011 View Post
Hi,

I have a question about the Ragnarok card "PRPMC8150-1371" must there be something jumpered?
No, there is no need for jumpers on this card.
Old Yesterday, 19:40   #3531
ottifant011

Thank you for the fast answer .

is there hope that the original USB Spider card works?
if this card is inserted the system is unstable
Old Yesterday, 21:31   #3532
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottifant011 View Post
Thank you for the fast answer .

is there hope that the original USB Spider card works?
if this card is inserted the system is unstable
I've only been able to make the Spider work if it's in the first, or lowest PCI slot, next to the bridge. With the Ragnarok/Voodoo it worked mostly ok. Though you might not want to load psdstackloader during boot.
Old Yesterday, 22:04   #3533
trixster
Guru Meditating

I’m in agreement with grelbfarlk that the order of PCI cards is crucial for Apocalypse. Sonnet, K1, Ragnarok (and even Rapture) are never problematic for me regardless of positioning, but Apocalypse will only work in this order:

Top of machine (4000D with 4000Di)
4) Soundblaster
3) Graphics card
2) Apocalypse
1) NIC
0) Mediator logic board

This is with latest powerpc.library #431, latest pci.library and mmulibs for 060

Each individual machine may require its own specific order so mine might not work for someone else.