English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - General

Old 29 September 2019, 04:28   #1
d4rk3lf

Amiga and metal

I always thought that "perfect kid" from late 80. would be like:
raising the hands... standing up high (on bed)... behind him, the Iron Maiden Flag, in his heart a sorrow for the girl he loves, and on his desk, a mighty AMIGA 500!

Here's the questions:
1) What is the band (metal, or no metal). that was in that time that you inspired you most (musicaly)?
2) Have you ever tried to re-produce some of of the sounds you like.. or create new on powerfull amiga softwares, like Octamed?
3) I forgot
Old 29 September 2019, 07:01   #2
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Not every mom and dad had the dough to buy their kid the mighty A500, mind you. Iron Maiden collectables and similar stuff, I saw them at the London flea market (is it the one they call Camden Market ?) during summer, when I was visiting England. That said, with loafers rather than Doc Martens' at my feet, I wasn't exactly a hip kid back in the days. e.q. in my room, the poster from Disney's Black Hole was displayed and lots of metal... toys were scattered. As for the bands that inspired me, I would say the Kinks, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Dire Straits, the Cure, O.M.D., Alphaville and Scorpions. Slayer was very popular in our school, I must add.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 30 September 2019 at 05:46.
Old 29 September 2019, 08:44   #3
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

I am no longer a metalhead, but I will always have a soft spot for Fear Factory. Their angsty, industrial riffs got me into the genre and continue to remind me of the Terminator 2 theme song.
Old 29 September 2019, 12:20   #4
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkBox View Post
Not every mom and dad had the dough to buy their kid the mighty A500, mind you.
Yeah sure.
That was exactly my case.
Only in the late 1996, I got my first Amiga (1200).
Old 29 September 2019, 23:25   #5
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzkat View Post
I am no longer a metalhead, but I will always have a soft spot for Fear Factory. Their angsty, industrial riffs got me into the genre and continue to remind me of the Terminator 2 theme song.
Same here, Obsolete will never bore me. I used to refer to their music as "anger metal" because boy does the vocalist (can't apply the term "singer" here) sound pissed at everything and everyone all the time

I still listen to metal music from time to time but music nowadays is more of a relaxation thing so I tend to go for more serene material.
Old 30 September 2019, 06:20   #6
SquawkBox

Quote:
Sport the war! War support!
The sport is war, total war
When victory's really massacre
The final swing is not a drill
It's how many people I can kill
'War Ensemble' from Slayer, epic !
I am sure you all know Skid Row cracking group was named after the New Jersey metal band.
Old 30 September 2019, 13:07   #7
SquawkBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
boy does the vocalist (can't apply the term "singer" here) sound pissed at everything and everyone all the time
I see what you mean, borborygmi rather than vocalization. Kurt Cobain probably would have called their singing style hormoaning .
Maybe they borrowed from Gojira and similar death metal bands.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 30 September 2019 at 13:22.
Old 30 September 2019, 14:15   #8
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Same here, Obsolete will never bore me. I used to refer to their music as "anger metal" because boy does the vocalist (can't apply the term "singer" here) sound pissed at everything and everyone all the time

I still listen to metal music from time to time but music nowadays is more of a relaxation thing so I tend to go for more serene material.
Obsolete is close to perfection. Its spiritual followup, Genexus, is mind blowing as well. Highly recommended if you haven't given it a listen.

I'm more of a chillout and synthwave kinda guy now.
Old 30 September 2019, 18:28   #9
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I have not heard that, I checked Spotify yesterday and noticed at least two albums I did not know existed. I just remembered how I actually got into Fear Factory back in the day - it was the song Resurrection being used in the demo scene render "VIP 2".

[ Show youtube player ]

(warning to other viewers: loud metal music). After seeing it a number of times the song really grew on me and that is how I ended up downloading and then buying Obsolete.
Old 03 October 2019, 09:27   #10
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

Oddly I was more into Acid house and Breakdance music during my Spectrum and into my Amiga years.

Got into metal when I was about 18 at a guess, so in the transition from Amiga to PC era.

Then it was Iron Maiden, Metallica, GnR, Def Leopard etc..... ACDC.

Still have some 12" Picture Vynals in my parents loft Only 3, and they're all warped
ACDC Money Talks
ACDC Thunder Struck
GnR November Rain
Old 03 October 2019, 09:31   #11
britelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
2) Have you ever tried to re-produce some of of the sounds you like.. or create new on powerfull amiga softwares, like Octamed?
Back in the 90's when I played in a few metal bands, I made tons and tons of "tracker metal". I arranged all the guitars, bass and drums in a tracker so it would be easier to show my ideas to the other guys in the band, and so I wouldn't forget all the riffs I made.
Old 06 November 2019, 20:29   #12
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
On my A500, I played the Daley.mod (Iron Maiden Phantom of the opera) on endless loop through my hifi.

Think this is it
http://www.stuartsite.com/mods/unarchived/A-E/daley.mod
Old 22 November 2019, 15:13   #13
twiggy

Plenty of Maiden mods out there thankfully. Anyone know of any Metal inspired MOD music?
Old 23 November 2019, 10:12   #14
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
On my A500, I played the Daley.mod (Iron Maiden Phantom of the opera) on endless loop through my hifi.

Think this is it
http://www.stuartsite.com/mods/unarchived/A-E/daley.mod
Thank you for this collection! (The King of Mods)

There is another one that I know, look at LemonTubeAmiga Pop Chart Amiga Modules for direct link.

Look in YouTube below for original link.

[ Show youtube player ]

Sorry for the "intermezzo" boys; please continue with the show!

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 23 November 2019 at 10:41.
Old 23 November 2019, 14:26   #15
blade002
Zone Friend

I love Metal but I'm feeling too old now, need something more soothing after dealing with all the tossers in my real life
Old 23 November 2019, 14:49   #16
jPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
I always thought that "perfect kid" from late 80. would be like:
raising the hands... standing up high (on bed)... behind him, the Iron Maiden Flag, in his heart a sorrow for the girl he loves, and on his desk, a mighty AMIGA 500!
Yeah, pretty much describes me too.

Quote:
Here's the questions:
1) What is the band (metal, or no metal). that was in that time that you inspired you most (musicaly)?
3) I forgot
1) I guess it's Metallica... if picking just one.
2) Well... yeah... but couldn't manage to produce anything listenable, but I stole/ripped Metallica mods by others to my AMOS games etc.
3) I've always loved metal, but on the other hand electronic computer music too. Combining them both together made the best music for me. And then I've always loved industrial sounds too, before I knew the term for the musical genre. Listening my old favourite demo songs, pop songs, etc now seem to have industrial beats on them. Then I found the real genre and been in love since.. KMFDM being my all time favourite since over couple decades. But I could go on and list bands nobody else knows :P