English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 25 November 2002, 14:20   #1
Overdoc
Commodore Collector

Roll eyes (sarcastic) Games you had to give up short before the end

There is quite a number of games I played almost until the end, but then couldn't finish them due to some heavy end of game boss or some very hard level I never mastered.

Did someone here make similar experiences ?

My almost completed titels are:

Sword of Sodan:
Never could defeat that fu$%ing wizard at the end...

Terminator II:
Couldn't shoot holes into the truck fast enough to cool the T-1000 down enough in the end of game fight.
But I will try this again some day.

Panza Kickboxing:
Haven't played this for ages but I remember there was just one guy to beat and I would have been world champion.

Push Over:
Couldn't make that level 98 100th level would be the last ! grrr....

Lost Vikings:
I killed the end of game boss in level 37, but then missed one key and couldn't open the door to the exit
But I swear I will make it one day !

Wonderdog:
Although there are levelcodes so I can start at the last level it is still hard to get to the end of game fight. And once there I quickly loose the 1 or 2 lives I still have

Treasure Island Dizzy:
Where is that fu$&ing last coin hiding !!!
I have 29 of them but need 30 to complete the game...

EDIT:
another one:
Chase HQ II:
That last level where one has to rescue the girl before the bomb explodes is impossible !!! ( at least for me )

Last edited by Overdoc; 25 November 2002 at 17:41.
Old 25 November 2002, 17:09   #2
NytroX86

I been thinking about this alot while at college and off the top of my head I can only think of a few of games, and only one of them is Amiga! This is Monkey Island, I got to the bit where you put all the ingredients in the cauldron and put them in the wrong order or something cos nothing happened. I wasn't sure what to put in anyway .
The others are Robocod on the GameBoy, where a played it for a few hours, got to the final boss, and couldn't even hurt him; and Italian Job on the Playstation. I got to the last two levels of story mode, and had to load the minis into the back of the bus. That level was impossible and stitched me out of finishing the game .

Old 25 November 2002, 18:00   #3
oldpx

Phantasy Star on Sega Master System! The game was translated "engrish" and there were phrases like "first food shop" instead of "fast food shop" The reason was, there was a shop named "second hand shop" in the game and the translator probably thought it was the second shop that sold hands compared to the first shop that sold food..anyway I got stuck very close to the ending because of this and because I wasn't fluent in english back then.

I'll take my revenge though, I just bought a second hand SMS with the Phantasy Star cart

Old 25 November 2002, 18:07   #4
^^Snoop^^

Metal Gear Solid on the PSX. I'm probably just crap, but I never could beat that Metal Gear Rex thing at the end

Old 25 November 2002, 18:29   #5
NytroX86

I thought of another one, this time its PC and its not even a 'proper' game. It was a shareware version of Blades of Exile (I doubt anybody on this board has played it) and you could only play one of the 3 or 4 scenarios. It was called Valley of Dying Things, I got right to the end of the game(scenario), found the source of the pollution but apparently a group of demons were feeding off the pollution and didn't like the idea of me stopping it. Unfortunately I couldn't beat them. They would make mincemeat of my group of adventurers in no time. I know this was the final fight cos I witnessed my brother cheat to beat them then finish the scenario.

Old 25 November 2002, 18:59   #6
Drake1009

Only game I can think of which I haven't completed but have almost made it to the end of would be Megaman X4. It was murder beating all the bosses first time over. Having to beat them all again within 1 continue was almost too much to bear. Then another badass boss to bump into. And finally when you think you've done it you find another boss which, after reading a FAQ on it, seems to only be beatable by pure luck since you have no way of telling which attack will come next and you can't make it across the screen to a safe spot when you realize.
Old 25 November 2002, 20:50   #7
patoch

I still can't complete Transarctica becouse my version is cracked in 80%...

Old 25 November 2002, 21:21   #8
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Drake, I am with you in Megaman X4.. the last boss is just impossible.

I got to the last boss of The Chaos Engine too, but could never beat it.

Alien Breed 2, I reached the military building, then the game asked for disk 3, and disk 3 wasnt working.

That's what I remember for now, but probably more will come later

BTW, I finished Chase HQ 2 , Terminator 2 and Panza Kick Boxing .
Old 26 November 2002, 00:27   #9
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Cadaver. Got to level 4 of 5 but couldnt finish it. Im convinced that it was my copy that was defective
Planning on going back to it very soon.
Old 26 November 2002, 04:00   #10
VermillioN

Wizkid. I was always a kitten short to get to the castle at the end.
Even B.D. Snail thought it was funny

Old 27 November 2002, 13:21   #11
manicx

INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE (Adventure). I lost at some point and got so pissed off that I never played this game ever again...
Old 27 November 2002, 13:25   #12
Mr Softy

Send a message via ICQ to Mr Softy Send a message via MSN to Mr Softy
Floppy disk

Syndicate.

Actually I think that most people MUST have given up the last middle-of-atlantic-or-isn't-it-middle-of-hell-instead mission.

The fun part is that a few months ago a very good friend of mine spent some days at home, and I replugged the good ol' 1200. He was also a miggy lover back in the early 90's, but he never played Syndicate before.
He looked, enjoyed, played... and finished it! The bastard! :kill
Old 27 November 2002, 14:56   #13
RetroMan

"Never give up, never surrender ...

Hehe, well, I´ve finished most of the games I´ve enjoyed ! Only games I´ve never finished are : Benefactor (Amiga) and The Castle (MSX1)

The Castle is still one of my fav games of all times and I´m sure I could finish it Only problem is, I don´t have the time for it right now
Old 27 November 2002, 20:20   #14
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

The Castle.. hmm . The room before the last one is a PAIN IN THE ASS to clear... it took me a LOOONG time to do it.

Now Castle EX, I couldn't even get close to finish it.

I finished Syndicate, athoulgh I admit that last battle was damn hard, I think it took me like a month to beat it. And then there's the "COOL" ending... bummer.

I've never finished Benefactor either, but I doubt I was close to finish it. I stuck in that "weights" level in the forest world. There was someone here in EAB who also was stuck in that level, and when he found the solution, he even pmed me, but I never tried to play it again ...
Old 27 November 2002, 22:13   #15
Incomparabile

Send a message via ICQ to Incomparabile Send a message via MSN to Incomparabile Send a message via Yahoo to Incomparabile
I have not finished yet:

-Bubble Bobble
-Badlands
-Speedball 2 (to win the league in 2nd year)
Old 28 November 2002, 12:59   #16
Marcuz

black crypt! i spent nearly 1 (one!) entire hour hitting the bad guy at the end, using the correct trick, but i have'nt slapped him down. maybe i had done something wrong, or my "doped up" stats messed the game...
that make me think about a poll: are you favorable to the use of dope for your characters in the rpg? do you raise little computer people addict to the hex editing?
Old 28 November 2002, 13:53   #17
Dr.Doom

Eye of the Beholder 2

I got right to the boss in his dragon form all but 1 of my party where stoned (including my cleric) and id thrown those damn green bags away (I couldnt work out they where Stone to Flesh spells).

Gargoyles Quest

On the gameboy i couldnt damage the last boss.

Old 28 November 2002, 14:20   #18
Drake1009

Well you shouldn't put your characters on drugs then Dr. Doom. Your characters wouldn't have been stoned then...and no I don't like the idea of statboosting through editing. Do it the way it was intended.
Old 28 November 2002, 16:41   #19
Guede

I finish every game I play. Otherwise it ends up out the back for the dog to chew on.
Old 28 November 2002, 17:08   #20
bgbennyboy

Oh dear god yes Wizkid, I was ALWAYS one kitten short. I would sell my mother to be finally able to complete this game.

Also:

Superfrog - my cracked version always crashed after the 'Project F' level

Egyptian Run - as a shareware game it wasnt really designed to be completable, towards the end of the level it moves at an insane, eye-watering speed. Impossible. I recently ran this on winuae but crippled the emulation so that it ran as slow as possible. I completed it! I waited eagerly to see what my reward would be for finally completing this game after 10 years of trying and saw......the title screen. BAH, thats even worse than the showing of the 'Game over' screen on completion of sega arcade conversions.

Adventures of Robin Hood - I could never complete it 'fully' ie with all the merry men.

The Lost Vikings - I too could get to the last level but no further. I recently completed the snes version of this so im definately gonna go back and finally conquer it on the amiga.

Zany Golf - I couldnt (and still cant) do the final 'electricity' level.