5. Syndicate (Bullfrog)
6. Chaos Engine (Bitmap Bros.)

clearly you have the classics

1. Hired Guns (DMA)
2. Alien Breed / Worms (Team17)
3. Desert Strike (EA)
Old 05 December 2005, 04:45   #23
EmuChicken

Suprised not to have heard any mention of Magnetic Fields, the genius' responsible for the Lotus trilogy and Supercars - and dux ;D

On a side note, a new Sensible Soccer game is due out on the PS2 (PC and Xbox I think also). Its developped by a few of the original Sensi team aswell at Codemasters. Its supposed to have everything that made the original great (unlike the recentish PC release 5 or so years ago that was pretty, uh, gash)
Old 05 December 2005, 12:41   #24
spiff
Oh noes!

Some more recent

Looking Glass Studios
Six of the best games I've ever known. Got split/bought up and doing separate things, bioshock for some of the devs.

System Shock
System Shock 2
Thief: the Dark Project
Thief II: the Metal Age
Ultima Underworld: the Stygian Abyss
Ultima Underworld II: Labyrinth Of Worlds

Black isle studios
Best modern RPGs around
Got closed down by interplay, split up the team.

Baldurs gate 1 2
Knights of the old republic (well somewhat)
Fallout

My current heroes are relic Entertainment with thier homeworld series
http://www.relic.com/
And the guys who made ICO and shadow of the colussus.

Last edited by spiff; 05 December 2005 at 12:48.
Old 07 December 2005, 09:18   #25
sw2001

Names I looked for when I bought Amiga Games where

EA
Blue Byte
Rainbow Arts
Psygnosis
Ocean
Old 07 December 2005, 11:22   #26
BippyM
Global Moderator

Hmm.. this is interesting because no 1 programmer, dev company or publisher was infallable!

Tony Crowther Amazing with Captive (Hell yeah) but then he did Captain Planet WTF??

Ocean - Batman the movie Fab.. Total Recall shite..

Psygnosis.. Great GFX but where was the gameplay (in most instances). Tho notable exceptions like Lemmings, KGS, Nitro, Hired Guns etc..

Graftgold.. Fantastic.. Rainbow Islands, Fire and Ice .. what else is there to say?

Team17.. Alien Breed, Project X, Qwak fab games, then they released worms, and worms and more worms and then worms on this platform and worms on that platform and yup more worms.. sorry I have lost faith in them!

Anyway I could ramble for hours but in the Amiga heyday I took note of anything Team17 and Sensible Software did more than any others I think
Old 07 December 2005, 15:18   #27
snarkhunter

I'd say it's pretty difficult to include any Team name in the "Hall of Fame" for the full range of games they released.

Most games by the Bitmap Brothers, Cinemaware, Team 17, were truly great pieces of programming, but they lacked playability sometimes, or perhaps they just lacked long-term addictiveness...

I myself spent countless hours playing a number of games from a number of teams, but I cannot really say I enjoyed all games from any publisher. Some games were genuine milestones, or even kind of "forerunners" to a new genre. I think there was another thread about people's favourite platform games. Perhaps rating one's top "x" games would be a better idea ?!
Old 04 January 2006, 01:16   #28
russraine
Zone Friend

Vulcan software

What, no one mentioning Vulcan. Probably the best developer and the only company that stayed with the Amiga until it was impossible financially to do so.

Valhalla, Timekeepers etc. What more can you say!
Old 05 January 2006, 15:42   #29
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym
Ocean - Batman the movie Fab.. Total Recall shite..

Team17.. Alien Breed, Project X, Qwak fab games, then they released worms, and worms and more worms and then worms on this platform and worms on that platform and yup more worms.. sorry I have lost faith in them!

Anyway I could ramble for hours but in the Amiga heyday I took note of anything Team17 and Sensible Software did more than any others I think
Though posted before,I think this article at C64 GTW's site gives a fascinating insight into Total Recall's "troubled" developement-though obv. devoted to the C64 version, I seem to recall reading in Zzap! at the time that the 16bit version also required some tinkering with-not as much as the C64, but it gives a viewpoint of why it was needed!
http://gtw64.retro-net.de/Pages/t/Re...alrecallv1.php
http://gtw64.retro-net.de/Pages/t/Cr...alrecallv1.php

Whilst its fair to say about Team 17, I seem to recall coming across an interview with Martyn Brown whom candidly replied that the Worms series was the basic reason Team 17 were still in business. He made the point that given the state of the UK development market,(& the disappearence of so many developers compared to the old days of the Amiga etc.), publishers were reluctant to go with new gaming ideas, hence WORMS being one of their few "franchise", titles they could be assured of getting published. Unfortunate, but it reads a sobering business reality,I'd guess.
Old 06 January 2006, 01:44   #30
Photon

The hero award surely must go to Archer Maclean. Here's a guy, having made some great and funny games on all kinds of platforms, from the Atari 800 to C64 to Amiga, he's now made several games for consoles! His snooker & billiards ports didn't seem to get well received, but now he's made a cracker of a game called Mercury for the PSP! I wanna be like him when I'm 50+

I love David Braben for his few but unique games (Nebulus on the Amiga, Zarch on the Archimedes - in 1987! and of course co-starring with Ian Bell on Elite...)

Special mention goes to Graftgold and Andrew Braybrook, since I became friends with him when I was in England. Such a great guy and a great gameplayer to boot. Still love his port of Rainbow Islands for the Amiga. Last I heard he's settled down and works as a software engineer developing utility software.

I'm sorry, but I'm going to go on about Stephan Wenzler of Kingsoft again. What can you do when he's the guy that made the game you spent more quality time on than any other?
Old 06 January 2006, 19:05   #31
NOB
Zone Friend

Archer Maclean (ik+) and Andrew Braybrook (uridum) are defenatly
Amiga Legends.
One of my favourite developers is discovery software.The music of Hybris is awesome.
My hero award goes to Soren Gronbech.He coded the first Amiga Demo i have seen.The in(famous) Tech-Tech demo, the first so called "MegaDemo".
Old 06 January 2008, 22:38   #32
s2325
Zone Friend

http://xs223.xs.to/xs223/08010/bullfrog.jpg
Old 06 January 2008, 23:11   #33
NLS
Ancient User

ah, all great names

nobody mentioned Sierra (which was also great before Amiga with CBM64 - or Melbourne House for CBM64) although they went from developers to producers (also Psygnosis were mostly producers after a while, Sony bought them eh?)

I find nice nostalgia moments by filtering GBAmiga by company - and all comes back to me

great days, great people, really developing, C, assembly, worried about performance/memory limitations ...unlike today (mostly)
Old 07 January 2008, 17:50   #34
paranoid
Phone Zen

In 6 years, not one person has mentioned what is the obvious choice for the best Amiga dev? For shame. For SHAME!

Back in the day, I'd format a disk if it wasn't by this company. There was just no point in keeping it. And with every game they did you knew it would have something incredible.

That something incredible? Boobs. That company? Artworx.

Any other Amiga dev was simply insignificant.
Old 07 January 2008, 19:18   #35
DamienD
Banned

There are also these EAB threads but unfortuantely the polls have closed now

... Your favourite Amiga games developers-Round 1
... Your favourite Amiga games developers-Round 2
... Your favourite Amiga games developer - FINAL