English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 04 July 2008, 00:25   #1
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Help! A3000 screwed my Mac SCSI HD

I just got my first ever Macintosh - a Classic II (for $5!). It had 7.0.1 and not much software, so I decided to connect the SCSI drive to my A3000 and copy over software from my Shapeshifter Mac hardfile. I assumed the Mac-Handler could read Mac SCSI harddrives.

No matter what I did, the Mac SCSI harddrive wasn't detected. After trying all the options, I decided to give up and just do floppy transfer. So, I put the SCSI HD back in the Classic II - and I got the "unknown disk" icon!

Then I thought, "that's OK, I can just insert a bootable floppy and repair it". Then I discovered that the MacOS is an utter pain in the friggin ASS compared to the Amiga. Apparently, you can't insert a bootable floppy with HD repair tools. So it looks like I'll lose whatever I had there.

I can't even find the two-disk 7.0.1 install images (which I could have written to floppy from Shapeshifter) to start over with 7.0.1 - and the 7.5.3 requires both 7.0.1 and high-density floppy drive. (Apple has the full 7.0.1 install, but it's not the floppy install)

Does anybody know what I can do? Can I repair it? Is there a way for Shapeshifter to detect it? (format Amiga, then re-format from within Shapeshifter?) If so, can I re-install the thing from within Shapeshifter.. so that it is detected properly in the Mac?

Also, does Apple put any "protection crap" on their drives which prevents altered drives from starting up?
Old 04 July 2008, 01:35   #2
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
you could do it on a pc with a mac emulator the best one i used had sheep in the name but i forget now exactly what it was called something like sheepshifter

bet theres someone round here with better mac experience than me that can help

edit: found it its called sheepshaver
http://gwenole.beauchesne.info//en/projects/sheepshaver

ps like the 500, wb looks nice 2

Last edited by cosmicfrog; 04 July 2008 at 01:45.
Old 04 July 2008, 17:11   #3
hit

you can download the old system install images from apple:
http://download.info.apple.com/Apple...tware_Updates/
system-7.0.1 english. seems to be install disk images:
http://download.info.apple.com/Apple.../System_7.0.1/
just browse arround a bit , and you find the install disk for 7.5.3 (full i assume)
and you are right. apple has branded cd drives, scsi and so on. only those were usable with those old classic machines (IIRC). they have a special apple only bios/firmware. bu not sure, if those were usable on non-apple machines.

Edit: maybe this can help to repair the hdd:
http://download.info.apple.com/Apple...isk_First_Aid/

hope this helps a bit,
hit

Last edited by hit; 04 July 2008 at 17:17.
Old 04 July 2008, 18:23   #4
adolescent
Powered by Motorola

The Mac SCSI drives are usable on other machines, but not the other way around (without a hacked HD SC Setup or a third party utility like Silverlining). I could never get Shapeshifter to use a real drive (or partition) either.

But, the Amiga should not have written anything to it unless you told it to. Did you double check jumpers, etc. Also, zap the PRAM on the Mac to reset things (especially if you changed the ID of the HD).
Old 06 July 2008, 09:51   #5
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Quote:
you could do it on a pc with a mac emulator the best one i used had sheep in the name but i forget now exactly what it was called something like sheepshifter
"Sheepshifter". That's a good one. (hmm... I could have used a utility like that when my neighbour's sheep decided to use my carport as a barn one day)

Quote:
system-7.0.1 english. seems to be install disk images:
http://download.info.apple.com/Apple.../System_7.0.1/
just browse arround a bit , and you find the install disk for 7.5.3 (full i assume)
Thanks for the link. That's the 7.0.1 two disk install I was looking for. (I know where 7.5.3 is)

I downloaded 7.0.1 with my A3000, extracted the files in Shapeshifter and wrote them to HD floppies. The write was successful.

I then booted the Mac Classic II with the first floppy inserted. I got the "Happy Mac" icon! Then I got the "Welcome to Macintosh" and I thought it was going to work. That's when I suddenly got a "bomb" that said "Sorry, a system error occurred. "System" bus error"

WTF? System bus error?? It's just the SCSI harddrive that's screwed up. Isn't there any way to repair it with a bootable disk? All the disk utilities I've found require a working harddrive with OS to run them. (That's like telling people to run to the hospital if they've got broken legs.) I'm starting to really hate the classic Macintosh OS.

Quote:
and you are right. apple has branded cd drives, scsi and so on. only those were usable with those old classic machines (IIRC). they have a special apple only bios/firmware. bu not sure, if those were usable on non-apple machines.
I know Apple drives are useable on non-Apple machines because my A3000 came with an Apple SCSI drive in it.

Quote:
The Mac SCSI drives are usable on other machines, but not the other way around (without a hacked HD SC Setup or a third party utility like Silverlining).
That's annoying. It looks like Apple wanted to force people to buy harddrives from them instead of people being free to buy their own.

Quote:
But, the Amiga should not have written anything to it unless you told it to. Did you double check jumpers, etc. Also, zap the PRAM on the Mac to reset things (especially if you changed the ID of the HD).
Well, I suppose I better admit my stupidity. After having problems with Shapeshifter detecting the Mac harddrive, I did a "read configuration" in HDtoolbox - just to see if HDtoolbox could see it. It did and I then closed HDtoolbox - saving the configuration update. I didn't touch any partitions or make any changes besides that. I didn't think saving a drive configuration would affect data on that drive ("drive definitions" are saved on SYS: - I can see it right now in Workbench:Tools). It must have written something to the Apple drive though. If so, it probably overwrote a bit of the Apple "firmware crap".

There has to be a way to fix it. Even if I lose all the data, there must be some kind of bootable utility to set-up/format the drive. If not, classic Macintosh really sucks.
Old 06 July 2008, 23:27   #6
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
yes there is a util to make harddrives work on a mac as i used it long ago.... as usual can`t remember what its called but all it did was write apple someware on the drive a simple but effective way of mac`s makeing you pay extra and locking you in to there kit
Old 06 July 2008, 23:30   #7
hit

mr_a500: i've send you a PM.

yes, teher were somesort of tools for classic, norton utils and tec tool, hard to finy, unfortunatly :/
Old 09 July 2008, 08:19   #8
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Thanks hit, for the bootable repair disk!

I ended up losing all my data (stupid "Disk First Aid" couldn't even find the drive), but I was able to initialise, format and partition using the Apple HD SC Setup.

It looks like it's going to be a major pain in the ass trying to transfer software to the Mac, one floppy at a time (plus that 19-disk 7.5.3 install). Damn, I wish ShapeShifter could have detected the drive. That would have been so much easier.