English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 15 August 2009, 13:38   #1
misjah

floppy format

Hello, I have only one drive (internal) and 1MB Ram memory, is it possible and how, to format another floppy (standard 1.44). I have A500 WB 1.3
And is it possible to make a copy of workbench boot disk with the same configuration as mentioned, since the disk is failing.
Old 15 August 2009, 14:10   #2
thomas

Quote:
is it possible and how, to format another floppy
Put the new floppy into the drive, wait until the DF0:bad icon appears, select it and choose "disk -> initialize" from the menu. You will be asked to replace the Workbench disk in the drive. Be sure to have the write protect switch on, so that you don't accidentally format the Workbench disk.

Quote:
standard 1.44
No, HD (High Density) disks are not supported. You need to use DD (Double Density, 720K) disks.

You *can* use HD disks, but they will fail sooner or later because the drive is not able to magnetise them correctly. So use them only for temporary data and double check whether the data has been saved correctly or not.

Quote:
is it possible to make a copy of workbench boot disk with the same configuration as mentioned
Select the disk's icon and choose "Workbench -> duplicate" from the menu.
Old 15 August 2009, 17:40   #3
misjah

Thanx, I`ll try that. Will hd disks work better if I attach PC moded second floppy?
Old 15 August 2009, 20:12   #4
thomas

Quote:
Will hd disks work better if I attach PC moded second floppy?
Don't know, but probably yes. If the read/write head is able to write to a HD disk, it should work on the same disk in DD mode, too.
Old 16 August 2009, 03:29   #5
misjah

I just made a copy of workbench and it`s working with hd floppy (Verbatim). I still get read error and have to click ``retry`` button from time to time. I have chinon fb-354 drive, I believe that`s the usual one. Thanx again. Now just to solve serial connection problem I posted in other thread and I will be like the [ Show youtube player ].