English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 16 March 2006, 20:18   #1
ant512

My FTP

As Paul has closed the last thread (quite rightly, too), I've opened a new one just to try and appease anyone who objects to anything on my FTP. Basically, if there's anything on there that shouldn't be, PM me and I'll remove it.

I have no desire to distribute software that is still actively developed, supported or for sale; however, I haven't followed any developments in the current Amiga "scene" for several years, and have no idea what is available any more.

Mods, please close this thread if you think it's just going to develop into another shouting match - all that matters is that people know that they can contact me if they want something removed, and that I *will* remove it.
Old 16 March 2006, 21:20   #2
ant512

Well, I received a PM from GuruMeditation with a request to delete a file. File deleted, and any other similar files.

I then received a copyright infringement notice from the DynDNS people. Good job, guys. FTP closed.
Old 16 March 2006, 21:24   #3
MethodGit

This is getting beyond ridiculous!!!!!!!!
Old 16 March 2006, 21:26   #4
ant512

I'm tempted to suggest that a banning is in order.
Old 16 March 2006, 21:31   #5
BippyM
Global Moderator

We know it is from the same member... he's an absolute pillock!
Old 16 March 2006, 21:35   #6
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
I surgest you name and shame the perpitrator
Old 16 March 2006, 21:44   #7
BippyM
Global Moderator

no need.. just have a quick read of one of the axctive threads recently!
Old 16 March 2006, 21:51   #8
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

What I'm surprised about is the speed of these complaints. What do these people do - sit and Google all day for possible "infringements"?

This software is for curiosity or nostalga value only. How many people who downloaded this software would have actually paid for it? Answer: zero. How many people plan to use this software in business or for personal gain? Answer: zero. I didn't see any currently developed software besides the Dopus mentioned.

So, it seems the moral of this story is that if you're friendly and generous and let people have a little fun playing with severely obsolete software, you'll get harassed with complaints by deluded "piracy police" who didn't even write the original software in the first place.
Old 16 March 2006, 22:02   #9
BarrySWE
Zone Friend

:-(
But....... i wanna FTP cruise amiga stuff..
anyone have an FTP?

PM me ;-)
Old 16 March 2006, 22:04   #10
AndreasM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant512
Well, I received a PM from GuruMeditation with a request to delete a file. File deleted, and any other similar files.

I then received a copyright infringement notice from the DynDNS people. Good job, guys. FTP closed.
sure. you dont remove our software from your ftp. we can nothing do as close the account.

and DynDNS warning you: "has been notified and instructed to immediately remove the copyright material."
Old 16 March 2006, 22:04   #11
ant512

I have no idea whether all of this stuff is legal or not. I know that a sizeable proportion of it came straight from the Aminet; that's all freely distributable. Some of it is my own software; that's all GPL or PD. A lot of it has been declared freely distributable by the copyright owners (Spectrum ROMs, etc). As for the rest, I offered to take down anything that was dodgy.

I studied medieval literature at University, and have a stack of books on my bookshelf that are between four and five hundred years old. I can still read "Havelok the Dane", "Sir Orfeo", "Lay Le Fraine", "The Canterbury Tales", "Gawain and the Green Night". In four hundred years from now, what software will still exist, when the original floppy disks have turned to dust and the drives that read them are buried in landfills under centuries of rubbish? You certainly won't be able to use any commercial Amiga software and see what sort of computers they used back in the 20th century.

If your life's work decays to nothing before you're even dead, what the fuck was the point in you being here in the first place?

Bring on the digital dark age.

@Andreas: If you told me what your software was, I'd have deleted it. I may read Middle English, but I'm not a fucking psychic.
Old 16 March 2006, 22:10   #12
BarrySWE
Zone Friend

I have abetter ide, AndreasM (gurumeditation) should open an FTP with amiga stuff
Old 16 March 2006, 22:14   #13
AndreasM

Quote:
@Andreas: If you told me what your software was, I'd have deleted it. I may read Middle English, but I'm not a fucking psychic.
dont renember what software from us you have on the ftp server. i think testament and any other. we write in this board and inform DynDNS. After this is all for us finished.

DynDNS have warning you, i think you dont delete or dont answer and DynDNS close the account.

DynDNS write to us: "If we do not hear back from the customer within a reasonable amount of
time, we will terminate the account."
Old 16 March 2006, 22:15   #14
AndreasM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrySWE
I have abetter ide, AndreasM (gurumeditation) should open an FTP with amiga stuff
ahm, yes, we make in 2 months a page with fullversions. but not ftp
Old 16 March 2006, 22:15   #15
GuruMeditation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrySWE
Hm? I know we have the same name and all, but I'm Andreas Loong.. did you mean him, or me?
Old 16 March 2006, 22:20   #16
BarrySWE
Zone Friend

Him or You ;-)
I thought you were the same person ;-) sorry
Old 16 March 2006, 22:26   #17
GuruMeditation

Hehe, love it that you have such a keen eye for details
Old 16 March 2006, 22:30   #18
ant512

Gahh, all APC&TCP sell are sub-PD quality games and overpriced compilations of real PD games. The irony that they should complain about other people distributing their software.
Old 16 March 2006, 22:34   #19
AndreasM

Quote:
Gahh, all APC&TCP sell are sub-PD quality games and overpriced compilations of real PD games. The irony that they should complain about other people distributing their software.
and, what is the problem? when you think we make bad software, why you must spread illegal copies from there?

when you dont spread our software you have never any problems with us. simple way...
Old 16 March 2006, 22:58   #20
ant512

I didn't even realise I had Testament. Having seen the screenshots, I'm rather embarrassed to have possessed it. I suggest nipping down to your local videogame shop and buying a copy of Alien Breed 3D or Gloom so you can see how an Amiga FPS should be done.

What's that? You can't buy those games any more? Well, I never would have guessed!