English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 08 February 2004, 02:38   #21
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by marco pedrana

but, as said on irc chat, it is'nt no more funny from Akira and others as they seems to wait a newcomer to just tell him to get lost!
Well, I don't find this funny at all, having to write the same cack to every careless newbie who thinks this is the GameFAQs or Retrogames forums bores me stiff, so I don't get kicks from it. Some guy recently replied to me "come on, no one reads FAQs", qhen his answer was to be found in them and searching through the board. Is that guy worth it? If he ever comes back to EAB or not I don't care, since he's a lazy wanker who doesn't want to read and spend 10 minutes of his life searching by himself for what he wants and preffers stuff delivered to him in a silver plate by good EAB members.

By the way, I am not waiting for any newbie to come so I can flame him, I only post at those who seem like have not read the FAQ. It is my JOB in the EAB to do this and other moderation duties. If you don't like how I express it, well...
Old 08 February 2004, 04:27   #22
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
"come on, no one reads FAQs",
yeah i remember that. that is why i've said i'm ambivalent at that.
anyway, the fact that mostly anyone joke at you as the "read the bloody faq" guy here (no matter in nice or irritate way), well, i think that's a reason good enough to pull some tolerance out. that's all.
on the other hand, if your answer to the fact that i may dislike your way is just a "well", so i think that your JOB (in capitals as you've put it) is not well done as it may be. i mean, hell you are doing it to serve the board, newcomers and old users, not to relieve your bad day, if that's the case.
and by the way i'm no arguing here, i still reknow that your work here is more valuable than mine, just this is not the point and it does not matter at all, my dear "good EAB member"
Old 08 February 2004, 07:47   #23
Amiga1992

In most cases I just write "read the FAQs, read our rules, search the board", and nothing else. And people find that rude. Because I didn't say "hello newbie, welcome to EAB! you will find that you have to read the FAQs first before posting, read our rules about how to post and where, and search the board previous to your posting in case what you want has already been covered. Have a nice day!"

Is that SO wrong? I think it's correct and that I'm not doing my job in a wrong way. I DO NOT use the EAB as my sparring companion for my bad days. And who said I have shitloads of bad days?
Old 08 February 2004, 10:43   #24
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Not that anyone asked, but having stumbled across this thread, I have to add my own 2 cents worth.

Akira, I'm with you on this one. While some people might find a "READ THE FAQ'S" response rude, for those of us who try to keep up with each thread, it does get somewhat tiresome to have to slog through lots of posts that make it clear that the person posting either hasn't read them, or simply doesn't care what the rules are. Making sure that one understands the rules of a board when they join is, in my view, simply proper courtesy.

Beyond that, I'm really not inclined to lose any sleep over it if somebody who has been here only long enough to post a grand total of 3 messages decides that this board isn't worth their time, especially if that person decides by the time they make that third post that it is now appropriate to question the intelligence of regular members who actually do choose to follow the rules. I suspect I'd find that reading their typical posts wouldn't provide much intellectual stimulation either if those few posts are a representative sampling.
Old 08 February 2004, 11:04   #25
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

That's fine, but bear in mind that:

The answer to the question at the beginning of this thread is NOT to be found in the FAQs and there is no mention of the Hall Of Light database there either!

So why is everyone assuming that he didn't read the FAQs? How do you know that he didn't? Just because someone said he didn't.

He asked a proper question in a forum called 'New to Emulation / Amiga scene' that says If you feel you have some beginners or newbies questions, please post here.

His only apparent 'crime' was to call ADFs 'ROMs'. For this he is immediately flamed. What sort of questions do you think a beginner is going to ask?
Old 08 February 2004, 11:18   #26
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

I've made a mistake when I said that the HOL wasn't mentioned in the FAQs. They point to Jambo's site, which links to the HOL.
Old 08 February 2004, 15:05   #27
RCK
Administrator

lol, a thread who is called "ROM Database" should be auto-closed

ATM, that's a fact that newsbies aren't guide enough, and FAQ, welcome messages, and documentation should be redone.
Now we don't have to blame mods for their work.

I will try to organize again all of this with the launch of EAB3, which is now shredule for the end of february / march 2004