English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 28 October 2010, 22:19   #1
Jakob Kramer

Problem with joystick (Win 7 x64)

Hi,

I have recently jumped from Win XP to Win 7 x64 (new computer). Today I installed WinUAE 2.3.0, similar to the one I used on my old computer. As far as I can see, everything works fine, except one thing:

I use a rather old joystick, that is, it is not a USB joystick, but I have it connected to a USB adapter, that WinUAE registers, and that worked fine on WinXP. This, however, is not the case on Win 7.

I must first mention, that I have been using WinUAE for quite some time, and I have never worked with configuring the joystick in WinUAE. I just plugged it in, and it worked. Now, on Win 7, the joystick behaves strange. I am able to use the two fire buttons as well as move up and to the left, but I cannot move down or to the right.

At first I thought that something was wrong with the way Win 7 registered and installed the drivers for the USB adaptor, but I tried running CCS64 (a Commodore 64 emulator), and here everything works fine. So... the problem is not that the USB adaptor/the joystick is "read" wrongly by the computer.

I tried the Remap feature under Game Ports, but Win UAE simply does not register, when I move the joystick to the right or down.

Any suggestions or ideas as to how I can solve this problem?

Old 28 October 2010, 22:37   #2
Jakob Kramer

Well, that's typical - I try for almost an hour, and finally giving up and posting here the next thing I try works

The error was in the calibration of the joystick. I found the USB adaptor (the joystick) under Devices and Printers (translated from Danish) and chose Settings For Game Controllers. Here it was possible to test the calibration. I could see, that the "test aim" was moving in all four directions when I tested, but it was not moving a lot, and it was located in the top left corner of the test box. I guess this was why I could only move up and to the left.

I recalibrated, and now everything works fine.

Old 29 October 2010, 08:46   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I know it is too late but always check Windows control panel joystick setup first. It is the only thing that really matters.

Windows have at least 3 different ways to read joystick, some of them might work even if calibration ("calibration". hmm.. it has been ages since i had joystick/pad that needed calibration..) is wrong.