English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 15 November 2016, 12:52   #41
Zener

RedPill v0.4.4 is here! Lots of improvements: Audio, ramps and better level editing!

Get it following this link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bzh...dPTVdoamM/view

Here is the full list of changes:
-Tiles can have 3 shapes: Normal, Ramp Up and Ramp Down. Define them in the Tiles screen.
-Audio: Amiga Mods can be played. Define them in the audio menu and use Play Mod trigger to play them. They are loaded at play moment, it is better to play them once at the start of the level.
-Audio: Amiga IFF sounds can be played. Define them in the audio menu and use Play Sound trigger to play them.
-Sprite color Remap now gives an error message when failing.
-Sprite generation from sprite sheets is more robust.
-Physics and platform code has been redone (again) to support the new tile shapes.
-GameObjects process has been slightly optimized.
-When editting values the previous value is not lost anymore.
-When editing levels now you can use F to flood fill the current tile.
Old 15 November 2016, 16:20   #42
nobody

when i click to change a value this happens. When i click parameter, it writes by itself some numbers and when i press backspace to erase the extra numbers and hit enter it hangs.
using WinUAE fastest possible speed, red pill debug 0.4.4.
It hangs even if using cycle exact-A1200 speed.

Is anyone using this in real hardware to confirm it works there?
Old 16 November 2016, 08:54   #43
Zener

Which WinUAE version are you using?
Old 16 November 2016, 08:58   #44
nobody

WinUAE64 3.2.2.0

i downloaded latest WinUAE 32bit 3.3.0 the same thing happens
Old 16 November 2016, 09:11   #45
nobody

OK i loaded AIAB (amiga in a box) installation and disabled RTG and it doesn't hang now. So it must be something with the simple Workbench 3.1 installation i am using in the other config.
Maybe some libraries missing (?)
Old 16 November 2016, 19:40   #46
Zener

could you tell me your Kickstart version?
Old 16 November 2016, 20:55   #47
nobody

KS ROM v3.1 (A1200) rev 40.68 (512k) [391773-01/391774-01]
Old 16 November 2016, 22:45   #48
Zener

I may have it, if you are using UAE please try activating the FPU
Old 16 November 2016, 22:49   #49
nobody

yes now it doesn't crash even on the other config with a basic workbench 3.1.
Old 17 November 2016, 07:00   #50
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakirob View Post
AmiBlitz2 according to the Facebook comments.
Is there any hope of backporting it to regular Blitz to avoid the FPU dependence? I'd like to see this fly on a Vampire.
Old 17 November 2016, 07:30   #51
nobody

The games should be playable without FPU i guess. But i believe it would require 68020+, at least for the moment.

PS auto slice now works even when you choose your own sprite sheet (FPU enabled)

Last edited by nobody; 17 November 2016 at 07:41.
Old 17 November 2016, 07:46   #52
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Thanks for the update. I was mainly concerned about the runtime player rather than the editor being FPU independent.
Old 17 November 2016, 09:18   #53
Zener

It is possible that the player is already FPU independent, I have tried it on vanilla A1200 and on Vampire A600.

Some Editor features require FPU, the target is to be FPU free for both editor and player
Old 17 November 2016, 10:17   #54
Dunny

Excuse my ignorance, folks, but something has been puzzling me and not just about Redpill but about Amiga game creators in general.

They have pretty insane system requirements - 1MB Chip+Fast RAM, 68020+ etc for games that wouldn't require much more than a regular A500 even had they been written in Blitz originally. I understand that the extra layer of abstraction the game maker runtime brings, and on a PC it wouldn't matter - hellish fast PCs are common now. But fast Amigas are really not common.

So is there any reason that these game makers, instead of relying on a runtime "interpreter" for their user-created game data cannot spit out say, raw Blitz code and assets and then launch the Blitz compiler to create their binaries?

Distribution issues aside (which I'm sure could be overcome) this would lower system requirements considerably and remove the need for a runtime environment or library?
Old 17 November 2016, 11:11   #55
idrougge

One big factor is that the most user-friendly game making systems are made in the most user-friendly languages by people who like that kind of languages. The super-smart assembly coders never seem to be interested in writing this kind of system.
Old 17 November 2016, 13:07   #56
Zener

Good point about requirements

Spitting Blitz code and then launching compiler would be probably too complicated in practice and would lead to the common approach of using a virtual machine to avoid the compilation problems.
Another outcome could be ending up having some super high language that abstracts Blitz in a similar way C does to ASM, but would require programming skills anyway.

At this point of development I am happy with the resources needed to run games, player will be optimized for sure to run on the lowest configuration possible. Editor will always be more resource hungry.

Having people trying it helps a lot the developer to be faster and the program to be better.
Old 17 November 2016, 14:08   #57
Zener

Please, try this new version that tries to avoid FPU usage.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz...U5LQWNlYUtYTTA
Old 17 November 2016, 15:47   #58
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zener View Post
Good point about requirements

Spitting Blitz code and then launching compiler would be probably too complicated in practice and would lead to the common approach of using a virtual machine to avoid the compilation problems.
Not quite sure what you mean there - surely the editor would be able to produce code that doesn't cause errors in compilation; any runtime errors would be dealt with in the same way that you would now. It's not as if you're running a complex script interpreter, after all.

In any case, the requirements pretty much exclude all except those that can afford to upgrade their real Amigas (and that's very expensive these days) or are willing to run WinUAE on a fast PC.
Old 17 November 2016, 22:50   #59
S0ulA55a551n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
Not quite sure what you mean there - surely the editor would be able to produce code that doesn't cause errors in compilation; any runtime errors would be dealt with in the same way that you would now. It's not as if you're running a complex script interpreter, after all.

In any case, the requirements pretty much exclude all except those that can afford to upgrade their real Amigas (and that's very expensive these days) or are willing to run WinUAE on a fast PC.

The requirements you have quoted are not a high end amiga. They are an a1200 with some ram ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17 November 2016, 23:41   #60
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ulA55a551n View Post
The requirements you have quoted are not a high end amiga. They are an a1200 with some ram ?
I know they're not high end, but they're not exactly stock - which they should be for games of this kind of calibre. Granted they're better than Backbone's requirements which are an '030...

And besides, even having paid the insane prices that an A1200 goes for these days, how much would a card and expansion RAM set you back nowadays?