English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 23 September 2012, 20:39   #1
jerzybulovski

Noob reporting in

Hi all,

I've an Amiga 500 with extra RAM hand soldered into it still boxed in the loft but I'm more interested in emulation these days ;-)

I have some questions, if someone would be so kind enough to answer:

a. I'm running e-uae on Linux Mint 13 but have problems with the sound in that it's very choppy plus the performance isn't that great. I've turned of all the compositor stuff and am running "Gnome" desktop (not Mate etc) I'm running it on a 2GHz dual core laptop (HP Elitebook 6930p) so I'm assuming I have enough grunt to run this. I've run WinUAE before on Windows and it's a lot better experience - is there any way of getting uae running nicely on Linux?

b. Is there a better emulator for Linux than e-uae?

c. For uae (e-uae), how do I set up the HDD? Is there an image file for HDD (lha?)

I'm off to try xfellow. Any replies would be greatly appreciated!

J

Old 23 September 2012, 23:01   #2
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Hi there! I would like to recommend you to try FS-UAE: http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/
- You should be able to use the Debian/Ubuntu debs I provide for Linux Mint also.

FS-UAE has updated emulation code (ported from WinUAE) and is designed to run on modern computers with accelerated OpenGL drivers.

If you download the latest development version, a configuration frontend is also included (FS-UAE Launcher) if you don't want to mess with configuration files:
http://fengestad.no/fs-uae/download-beta

I provide support in support.OtherUAE here at EAB (http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=54).

(c) With FS-UAE, you can either use a "disk image file" (HDF), or you can set up a virtual HD using a directory (the latter is much simpler). FS-UAE does not yet have a tool to actually create HDF files, but can use them.
Old 24 September 2012, 21:55   #3
emufan

why not using wine with winuae on your linux machine.
HowTo install wine on Linux Mint. or here some kind of review for wine on linux mint.
last link got a warning, about the way to install wine:
Quote:
WARNING: Do not install trough MintInstall. It will hang because of a bug (that was reported 1.5 years ago and still not fixed). Instead, install it using synaptic. If it's too late and it allready hang on you (at "Waiting for config file prompt"), you must reboot and then execute the following in a terminal: sudo dpkg --configure -a

Last edited by emufan; 24 September 2012 at 22:02.