English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 20 March 2007, 03:04   #1
mabus
Zone Friend

The Retro Wave...

Not quite game related, but doesn't it seem like there is some sort of Retro Wave flushing over the European Union at the moment? I've even seen "serious PC magazines" with retro-specials (looking back at the days when a 286 with 2mb RAM was £2000)...

Is it better playing retro games on emulators or "the real thing"?
Old 20 March 2007, 03:15   #2
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Yes, there are a lot of PC mags & free web mags with Retro specials these days.

I use and enjoy WinUAE for years, but after i got an Amiga 1200 some weeks ago i don't want to go back to this, except for the CD games and copying/installing stuff. I really like the real TV scanlines, the 50 Hz scrolling, the smooth controls.

But on the other side: The emulators have a lot of advantages in comparison to the real machines.

- They didn't broke
- no costs (mostly)
- You can save everytime
- You can do screenshots

etc.

It is pretty cool to play NTSC NES, SNES, Genesis, PC-Engine ... games in emulation on the PC in 60 Hz.

But i don't have the space for all the real consoles. And it is probably not usable without a 10X RGB switch for the TV set.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 20 March 2007 at 04:40.
Old 20 March 2007, 04:25   #3
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

Send a message via MSN to sarek2k
as Retro-Nerd says Emulation is GREAT you can do a lot of things you can't with the real thing, however is nothing like owning and playing the original for 1 you get the proper controls. 2 it runs more accurately ie real speed, proper timing etc (though mame / winuae etc are fantastic) again it just don't feel right playing an Amiga game on an Xbox/psx/usb (comp pro etc) pad/joystick controller it's close but not like the original same as mame with it's arcade games!

to me control is above all else! is no way you can replicate an arcade game such as tehkan world cup without the rollerball just the same as you can't play goal,kickoff xxx,sensi etc without comp pro, zipstick, tac2, quickshot whatever your preference is!

oh so close but oh so far!

If like most of us you don't have the space for every machine/console/arcade beast etc go for the emulation you can get pretty accurate it's close like i've said however if you can shove your FAVE machine in be it arcade/snes/amiga/c64 whatever you'll enjoy it all the more for it being real!

@mabus i'd say the retro thing has been going on 10 years now where you been m8 ?
good ole daves classics and dave spicers sparcade as far as i remeber kicked it all off

Also if you wanna pay 2k for a 286 i'm sure Zetro can accomadate you

Finally the last bit i'd say the TV stuff is blurring! we are getting stuck with flat screen tft's/lcd's/plassy's etc whether we want them or not out with the obesse monitors lol

try n find a 19" crt it's getting hard never mind one that syncs down to 15khz or whatever the Amiga needs.