English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 05 October 2001, 23:06   #1
eRixx

looking for Simcity classic 1 MB version

If anyone could help me with this i would be very pleased !

Thanks!

Old 09 October 2001, 11:19   #2
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

OK, I dug through a bunch of my SimCity disks and what a confusing mess!

First off, a note to Morph & the rest of the TOSEC team:
You guys may want to make note of the 512k and 1-meg versions of the game, as they differ. When I ran a pile of my SimCity disks through ClrmamePro, the only one (aside from Terrain Editor) that matched was the 512k version cracked by Beermacht. That version, I'd already renamed. The name given it by TOSEC was

Sim City (1989)(Maxis)[cr Beermacht].zip

which is close, but my renamed copy (which I will stick with) is

SimCity (512k) (1989)(Maxis)[cr Beermacht].zip

Anyhow, on with the rest of this. That was the only copy I found with any crack information (at least from my old stuff, that is). I had three other versions of the normal release of the game, which I also renamed and are as follows:

SimCity v1.0 (1987)(Maxis).zip
SimCity v1.1 (1989)(Maxis).zip
SimCity v1.2.2 (1991)(Maxis)[WB].zip

as well as

SimCity Classic (1992)(Maxis).zip

The latter being where Terrain Editor was identified from in TOSEC (as this is disk 2 of SimCity Classic)...confused yet? I believe the actual game in SimCity Classic to be a variation of 1.2.2, but the datestamp on the executable was 1992, which is not the case on 1.2.2, so...

Oh, and Maxis/Brøderbund also released a version of the game that contained both the 512k and 1-meg versions of the game, as well. Which version number(s) I'm not sure of yet. And a CDTV version. (Is there a different CD32 version?) Plus there's probably slight differences in the Brøderbund US versions and the Infogrames European versions. No idea about the budget version released under The Hit Squad label. Or Sim City Deluxe. Or the version in the Sim City/Populous combo, which looks like the packaging for Deluxe but neither the box nor the manual indicates Deluxe nor any version number. Oh and the About screens in the game don't indicate version numbers either. Nor does any text strings in the binary executable. Are we having fun yet? (sigh)

The version numbers in the three versions listed above were named as such on the disk/icon.

I also have these TOSEC identified disks:

Sim City (1989)(Maxis)[cr Harry the Hack].zip
which is another 512k version

Sim City v1.1 (19xx)(Maxis)[cr Quartex].zip

Sim City II v1.2.2 (19xx)(Maxis)(Disk 1 of 3).zip
An anomaly, this. I am not aware of any release of the game under the name SimCity II. The disk icons say SimCity II, but it appears to just be 1.2.2 with Ancient Cities and Future Cities data disks occupying the disk 2 & 3 slot. Someone probably renamed the three disks. In the game itself, it still says SimCity and the only variation is the appearance of the date 1990 in the About screen. The program icon has (1MB) in its name.

So I am assuming all versions are 1MB unless indicated otherwise. I also have the independant add-on single disks of Ancient Cities and Future Cities (adf's as well as originals). So now, what were you requesting again? I don't know where to begin on filling this request. It's all laid out here. Tell me what you need me to post.

As for the name of the game, the European versions tend to call it Sim City (two words), while the US versions use the SimCity moniker. Since the origin of the game is the US, I use it.
Old 09 October 2001, 11:43   #3
Amigaboy

There's no CD32 version of Sim City as far as I know, only the CDTV Version

Old 09 October 2001, 12:08   #4
eRixx

Yes !! ;))

Sim City II v1.2.2 (19xx) 3 disks

This seems to be the one i am looking for, especially because of the ancient and furture cities expansion graphics (The reason i was looking for 1MB version in the first place).

The simcity version history is a complete mess, it seems. That is probably the reason why *nobody* could actually point me to the version i was looking for.

A lot of thos adf's have been renamed, i have also seen the terrain editor AND the expansions distributed with the 1989 512K version

I really want to thank you VERY, very much for helping me with this !!!

Thanks,

Erik

PS: i do not want to be greedy, but i am really interested in all of them, since i am a REAL simcity fan, and i would like to work out the complete history of these game releases. I could open up an ftp or something, if that would be easier for you.

Old 09 October 2001, 12:52   #5
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Hehehe...hold on there. That's a far cry from the whole story. That's just a collection of the fragmented pieces that I 'assume' from what I looked at in front of me. I have some puzzle pieces, am missing many others - and all of this just addresses the Amiga end of the game!

It seems to me I visited a SimCity site a couple of years ago (needless to say, the Amiga was never so much as even mentioned!)

At any rate, I will post what I have. I'll bang a handful up in a moment and then post the rest sometime later tonight or in the morning.

And I shall leave you with a rare image of the Japanese version of the game (FM Towns version).

Ian: Removed Picture

Last edited by Ian; 03 November 2001 at 16:40.
Old 09 October 2001, 13:45   #6
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Awww...poor Boby looks downtrodden. what happeneed, lost your kazoo?
Say eRixx. I have Sim City 2000 if you want, but you must install it to your hard drive
Just ask.
Old 09 October 2001, 16:07   #7
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Question

Just a side note re Sim City.
From memory I think I've got the Quartex V1.1 that Twistin mentioned. (Thats the one with infinite money cheat trainer isn't it?).
I haven't played it in a little while, but I seemed to encounter a strange effect with the GFX depending on which Kickstart was employed. I.3 provided the original A500 version, but when using I think Kickstart 3.1 the park/lake gfx were different!
Anyone else have this effect??
Old 10 October 2001, 00:16   #8
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Hmmm...I don't remember a trainer on my copy, but then I thought you just typed something in to get that cheat. At any rate, I remembered another odd caveat with SimCity: while looking them over in WinUAE, several copies just crashed as soon as launching the icon. But most oddly was that the 512k versions gave an error message of some sort indicating there wasn't enough memory. I got this message when booting the game with only 512k chip! So, it seems, they don't even work on 512k systems. Unless it's just a WinUAE thing.

@Fred
Ah, what a keen, observant eye you have. That image is indeed from the lost kazoo episode (and Kitty Karryall, if you wanna really get technical...)
Old 09 October 2006, 18:47   #9
dimerethiel

SimCity download

I´ve found this download site for old SimCity Classic game:
SimCity Classic download

Old 09 October 2006, 18:55   #10
keropi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimerethiel
I´ve found this download site for old SimCity Classic game:
SimCity Classic download
what a LAME site... u have to pay for the download... ultra-giga-gargantuan-lameness!
Old 09 October 2006, 18:57   #11
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Could just be spam, it's the guys first post after all.
Old 11 October 2006, 12:45   #12
TheBoss

Send a message via ICQ to TheBoss
I vote for mods removing the link!
Old 11 October 2006, 14:54   #13
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
/signed
rot in hell, scammers!