English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 12 October 2015, 04:48   #1
ransom1122

Best USB Arcade Stick for use with WINUAE?

Like the title says. What are your thoughts/experiences with any type of usb arcade joystick for pc used with WINUAE? I'm looking at getting something decent but not heavily over priced.

Any info/gossip would be great. Thanks in advance.
Old 12 October 2015, 19:06   #2
brett71

I splashed out for an X-Arcade 1-player model... awesome stick, but not cheap.
Old 12 October 2015, 19:12   #3
zerohour1974

I have been using the XBOX 360 controller which works fine with WinUAE
Old 12 October 2015, 20:42   #4
ransom1122

X arcade would be nice but like you did is very expensive. As for a xbox360 controller I don't classify that as an arcade controller at all. It's a joypaf controller.
Old 12 October 2015, 22:28   #5
Steve T

You could get some parts and build your own, you just need the right interface board and some arcade buttons/stick, you could hack the controls to an old joypad board, or buy one, if you do, you don't even need to be able to solder as you can wire it all up with connectors.

the hard part is making an enclosure for it though!
Old 12 October 2015, 23:51   #6
ransom1122

Yeah too lazy to build. I have an original mk2 arcade cabinet with proper arcade controls built entirely for mame. Just looking at pre made arcade sticks that are reasonably priced that work well with Amiga games on winuae.
Old 13 October 2015, 00:55   #7
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransom1122 View Post
X arcade would be nice but like you did is very expensive. As for a xbox360 controller I don't classify that as an arcade controller at all. It's a joypaf controller.
It is expensive only if you do not factor:
- reliability (great solid build quality)
- duration (lifetime warranty)
- comfort (lots of room, stable, inclined)
- resale value (high reputation, high demand)

If you do not take these factors into account and the fact that the X-Arcade will likely last longer than you then ok, it is expensive. Now if you divide its price by its lifetime, it is a real bargain. (The single player model costs 99$ plus shipping.)

Quality *seems* expensive but it is usually less expensive on the long run if you factor in replacements and problems. Set 10$ aside every month and in one year you will have an X-Arcade. The moment you want to get rid of it you can easily get 50% of its price back.
Old 13 October 2015, 17:05   #8
Cpt. Hindsight

I just bought a used Hori wireless fighting stick 3 for less than €30 incl. postage. It's originally designed for the PS3, but it's working with a PC as well.
Old 13 October 2015, 21:30   #9
ransom1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Hindsight View Post
I just bought a used Hori wireless fighting stick 3 for less than €30 incl. postage. It's originally designed for the PS3, but it's working with a PC as well.
Got a model number on that one?
Old 14 October 2015, 05:55   #10
Cpt. Hindsight

Quote:
Got a model number on that one?
No sorry, it's still on its way to me, but IIRC it's the same model as the one you got within the Tekken 6 bundle, if that helps.

I also own one of these: http://www.amazon.com/DATEL-ARCADE-J...ct_top?ie=UTF8

It's OK for the price (You can buy an identical model by Mayflash) . I like the loose feeling of the stick, but the buttons could be better. It's also a good base for a Sanwa or Seimitsu mod and make it the best arcade stick in town, but unfortunately a little soldering is needed. You can find some mod tutorials on youtube. [ Show youtube player ]
Old 14 October 2015, 08:04   #11
ransom1122

I see. Nice. I don't see spending $100 for an X-arcade is worth if your only playing every now and then. If you play a lot then yes maybe x-arcade is perfect.

@Cpt. Hindsight that Datel one looks nice and it has 360/ps3 support as well as PC.

Is the Mayflash any good or is that really Cheap and NASTY?
Old 14 October 2015, 09:13   #12
Cpt. Hindsight

Afair there is a mayflash arcade stick that is the same model as the Datel besides the top panel and the colour, but atm I can just find the PC/PS2/PS3 version. I guess it's still the same, but has different connectors. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015PHMFU

Imho, it's (like the Datel) good enough for mame, Vice, WinUAE and other emulators, but the manufacturing quality seems to be a little erratic. My Datel is about four years old and it's still working like a charme (although I tortured it with Hyper Sports, Decathlon, etc.), but as you can read in the amazon reviews, some others have broken within a week.
Old 14 October 2015, 09:35   #13
ransom1122

Nice Ill look into that one. Itll be nice to get a PC PS3/360 All in one.
Old 14 October 2015, 10:14   #14
Baboon
Moon Monkey

I used to own a X-arcade tank stick a few years ago for emulation and although I liked the size of the stick it was actually IMO pretty awful to use and really not worth the money at all!

X-arcade sticks are renowned for using cheap parts and have input lag (I guess you could swap out all the parts but then that's more cost on top?) - If you ask anyone that's experienced with arcade sticks (just google sites like SRK, shoryuken etc) they will tell you X-Arcade is not worth the money and to be avoided.

I own several sticks still though for various systems and all work great with winuae, mame etc (some require adapters to work via usb but still are preferable over the x-aracde stick) and can be found for reasonable prices still online. Below are my favs though...

Dreamcast Sega Arcade stick (oldshcool but a fantastic stick still)

Wii Tatsunoko vs Capopm stick. I've got a couple of these as really think they are great and paid £25 each for them brand new a while ago (you can get a mayflash usb converter too so no need for a wiimote for about a fiver which produces no lag)

Original xbox Nubytech Street Fighter 15th Anniversary stick (I got one of these for £35 on ebay a few years ago - it's not the best on here at at but reminds me of the heavy x-aracde stick - this also needs an xobx to pc adapter but they cost about £4)

Super Street Fighter IV Arcade FightStick Tournament Edition S - which is my fav by a long margin which I won a few years ago on the Capcom site (you can pick up for about £100 on sites like ebay which although seems pricey it's really well built and sturdy)

I guess its all down to your budget though (and then the possible compromise) and your personal choice...

Last edited by Baboon; 14 October 2015 at 10:47.
Old 14 October 2015, 10:20   #15
ransom1122

Great Selection there. I have the Dreamcast Arcade Stick sitting next to me plugged into my DC. But you cant use that one for PC that's a DC only stick.
Old 14 October 2015, 10:31   #16
Baboon
Moon Monkey

Quote:
Great Selection there. I have the Dreamcast Arcade Stick sitting next to me plugged into my DC. But you cant use that one for PC that's a DC only stick.
Yep apologies you are correct. I'll check when I get home but I think I've got something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trio-Linke...-/131089878423

..either that or you can chain dc/ps2/pc converters together if I remember correctly?

Last edited by Baboon; 14 October 2015 at 10:49.
Old 14 October 2015, 11:38   #17
Titler
Zone Friend

Don't be afraid to risk buying something cheap and cheerful; I picked up the Logic3 Tri-format for £16 more than 10 years ago, and it's still chugging along fine in WinUAE, MAME and fast paced arcade style games like the Ys series on PC. Build quality of the case wasn't perfect, and there was a broken screw inside when it came, but the stick and buttons were solid and worked great and continue to do so...

There was a more recent version available for £30 at Game it seems, but it's sold out. And there's a few Hori sticks on ebay right now, and if you fancied taking a risk, this £20 triformat arcade stick from a Chinese manufacturer. Or you could just go true old school and get a USB Competition Pro: I have one of these, and it's a bit fiddly with a single button joystick having four different fire buttons, as they weren't designed with reaching them all at different times in mind... but they've got the good old fashioned solid feel to them and well worth getting.

Either way, don't feel you have to spent a hundred pounds on something you'll only use every now and then; and don't get suckered into thinking more is necessarily better... you can do "good enough" at a reasonable budget.
Old 14 October 2015, 11:55   #18
Baboon
Moon Monkey

If he's got the dc stick already (which is amazing) then surely the cheapest and easiest option would be to get a DC to usb adapter for mame and winuae?
Old 14 October 2015, 13:53   #19
ransom1122

Yrah I do have a dc arcade stick in immaculate condition. Never knew there was an dc to usb adaptor.
All the other pics of arcade sticks are great as well.
Old 14 October 2015, 14:20   #20
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baboon View Post
I used to own a X-arcade tank stick a few years ago for emulation and although I liked the size of the stick it was actually IMO pretty awful to use and really not worth the money at all!

X-arcade sticks are renowned for using cheap parts and have input lag (I guess you could swap out all the parts but then that's more cost on top?) - If you ask anyone that's experienced with arcade sticks (just google sites like SRK, shoryuken etc) they will tell you X-Arcade is not worth the money and to be avoided.
Oh, damn. That will teach me to believe that price = quality.
Thanks for these details.

But the problem with sites like Shoriuken is that there really isn't a consistent opinion: everyone have their own preferences and many will recommend modding which frankly isn't necessary for 99% of us who do not participate to Street Fighter competitions and have no intent to.
Every time I visit them I end up equally undecided as before.

But clearly I missed the consensus on the bad aspects of the X-Arcade so thanks again for pointing it out!